Scammed by "PayPal"?

SIR_34:16

FNG
So I've never really trusted online transactions and never set up a PayPal account before now. However, I saw a pair of binoculars in the classifieds that I wanted to purchase so I downloaded the PayPal app and set up an account yesterday. I linked my CC to the account and got the welcome email and everything seemed in order. I contacted the seller and set up the sale, and when I went to use the app this morning to send payment, it wanted me to link my CC again. Every time I tried, it just circled back to the "Link your card" screen. So I logged onto the computer and tried via the website. When I tried sending payment from the website, it said a limitation was put on my account and then I get an email saying my account is permanently limited. I called the help line and they said they needed to verify the CC belonged to me and to upload a copy of my driver's license and copy of a credit card statement. So I did. After hearing nothing, I called back. They checked the limitation and said my account has been permanently locked and there was nothing they could do to open it and there was no way to appeal. I asked why couldn't they verify my account and was told they could not discuss that. So now I'm seriously worried that they have a copy of my driver's license and CC statement. Has this happened to anyone else?

h2so4

WKR
That's weird. My guess is that you incorrectly linked or tried to many times and had an unnoticed error. With the repeated tries, it probably looked like a machine or fraud attempts. I'd try again, starting from scratch with a new email.
However, The seller can also send you an invoice and you can pay through that with a credit card, without having an account. I'm not 100% sure on this approach.

CorbLand

WKR
Get that card canceled immediately. Not sure what needs to be done about your DL but I would look into that as well.

I never had to do any of that when I was setting up my Paypal. I would at least get a hold put on the card while you try to figure out what is going on.

h2so4

WKR
Get that card canceled immediately. Not sure what needs to be done about your DL but I would look into that as well.
Once they have that info, good luck getting them to "delete" it. Its on their servers and surely backed up. I don't think there is anything to do.

Sapcut

WKR
Never heard of such. Maybe the paypal link you were using was the real PayPal. May have been a "PakPal" from the middle east.

Maki35

WKR
I would cancel the C.C. or at least contact your C.C. company and inform them what has happened.. They may put a hold on the card/account or cancel the card and reissue a new card.
That doesn't sound right. I have a paypal account & use it often. I have "NEVER" had to give them any kind of info from my driver lic or a copy of it. Nor a C.C. statement.
I don't think it was a valid paypal appl/ website that you accessed. I'm guessing it was a fake paypal appl used to capture people's info. IDK.
I would tell "paypal" to close or cancel the account just to be safe. IMO
Good luck

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I would never ever give out that kind of info to some nobody on the other end of phone conversation. But them I'm paranoid and trust not one person on the earth. It has served me well for many years now.

I would suggest not using PayPal, especially for hunting or hunting-adjacent items. If you violate their terms of service they can debit your account $2,500 per violation. I’ve had an account for years but deleted it last week when I read a story about someone losing >$10,000 for selling legal gun accessories. Knives are a violation too.

D462C74F-64CE-43AC-A24F-57B14656A7E0.jpeg

OP
S

SIR_34:16

FNG
Thank you everyone for the replies. I called the CC company yesterday and cancelled both mine and my wife's card and had them reissue new ones. There were no suspicious charges made at the time I cancelled. FWIW, I told the CC representative the story and she said it seemed strange, but was not unheard of for companies like this to ask for that kind of info. I'm quite certain the website I was on was legit and I spoke directly with PP customer service. I'll be keeping a close watch on my credit score just to be sure.

Jroyce3

FNG
So I've never really trusted online transactions and never set up a PayPal account before now. However, I saw a pair of binoculars in the classifieds that I wanted to purchase so I downloaded the PayPal app and set up an account yesterday. I linked my CC to the account and got the welcome email and everything seemed in order. I contacted the seller and set up the sale, and when I went to use the app this morning to send payment, it wanted me to link my CC again. Every time I tried, it just circled back to the "Link your card" screen. So I logged onto the computer and tried via the website. When I tried sending payment from the website, it said a limitation was put on my account and then I get an email saying my account is permanently limited. I called the help line and they said they needed to verify the CC belonged to me and to upload a copy of my driver's license and copy of a credit card statement. So I did. After hearing nothing, I called back. They checked the limitation and said my account has been permanently locked and there was nothing they could do to open it and there was no way to appeal. I asked why couldn't they verify my account and was told they could not discuss that. So now I'm seriously worried that they have a copy of my driver's license and CC statement. Has this happened to anyone else?
Online convenience is great, but always makes me nervous when stuff like this happens.

tdhanses

WKR
I wonder if you just triggered something based on your name, email or who knows what and it created red flags.

Jethro

WKR
If you are going to attempt Paypal account again it may help to start with your CC company. Within the last year or 2 I also signed up for Paypal when I wanted to use it in classifieds here. At the time though I was getting lots of offers from my Discover card to link it to Paypal. So when I opened the account I was working from the Discover site and linking to Paypal. Vs. starting at a Paypal account and adding a card. Capital One also bugs me a lot to link that card to Paypal.

Just something to think about.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04