Scammer Got Me for 2500$

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand how in this day in age there isn’t a clear cut way to track the IP address to a physical residence and give to the authorities. Anyone know what the deal is?
VPNs can spoof locations and also a lot of these guys are from overseas.

Besides, the authorities could care less about this stuff or the well-being of hardworking taxpayers.
It's frustrating all around

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
VPNs can spoof locations and also a lot of these guys are from overseas.

Besides, the authorities could care less about this stuff or the well-being of hardworking taxpayers.
It's frustrating all around

Got it, frustrating.

To the OP in the future demand FaceTime calls. Not a guarantee way to weed out the bad but it helps get to know someone. I recently purchased a spotter on here for 2,400 and I knew right away from FaceTime the seller was honest and legit.

F&F=Fraud & Frustration. Every lesson has a cost...you paid the Harvard tuition. Find comfort knowing what goes around-comes around. That guy will get screwed ten times worse when Karma hits his Dogma. Shake it off and go kill something.

PRC_GUY

WKR
That is really sucks, everything has a price for it, you are a good guy, good thing will come to you , hopefully you will kill a big one this fall. I hope you the best .

Thats a real bummer but I wouldnt let it stop you from going on your hunt. Buy some cheapos and get out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuckybmd

WKR
The more I think about it, I think I could’ve easily fell victim to this as well. Browsing the forum it seems that he scammed several people.

I think we shouldn’t be hard on the OP, he is only 17. From the sounds of it he did reasonably vet the poster, and they had a valid account.

Most roksliders who post regularly are reliable and honest people, which makes spotting the wolf in sheep’s clothing even harder.

The important thing to note that sending money by Zelle or by PayPal friends and family is hard to recover.

A while back there was some websites selling primers and gun powder when they were in short supply they were suspiciously requesting this form of payment as well.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m going to throw this out there. At 17 this would have hurt, shit it would hurt now. 2500 is a lot of money regardless of age, but 10 bucks wouldn’t hurt a bit. If a bunch of us throw in 10 bucks maybe we could help him out a little? There’s 50k members, can we get 250 people to participate? Maybe a sponsor would do one at cost if we could raise some $$$$? @robby denning i assume this would be ok?

MattB

WKR
Sorry to hear about your situation, hopefully you can get some justice through the authorities.

TheViking

WKR
I’m going to throw this out there. At 17 this would have hurt, shit it would hurt now. 2500 is a lot of money regardless of age, but 10 bucks wouldn’t hurt a bit. If a bunch of us throw in 10 bucks maybe we could help him out a little? There’s 50k members, can we get 250 people to participate? Maybe a sponsor would do one at cost if we could raise some $$$$? @robby denning i assume this would be ok?
This is a great idea.

I am in for donating some money.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
sure it's OK,

where do I send my $10?

But, we've specifically warned about this:

"...Then I made my fatal mistake he asked me if I could use friends and family so he didn’t have to wait for the bank to hold his money which I understood because I have had to weight the 21 days for the money to clear and I was glad that I didn’t have to pay the fee."

You may be able to reverse that charge with your bank, $2,500 is worth it. PayPal will kill your account but that's not the worse thing in the world.
edit: I'm in for my $10 just tell us where to send it.

gelton

WKR
Well the scammer posted this for sale on BowSite last year that listed his location as AZ:

Associated with this email address [email protected]

And a quick search of that email address shows that he was pulling this off across numerous forums:

Goes by an alias I assume of Joseph Miles. And his IP address is tied to Ukraine but could be a VPN...as if Ukrainians don't have enough of our $$$ already.

280Ackley

WKR
Well everyone here it goes blowing off a bit of steam. I have avoided quite a few scammers on this sight most of them with broken English and photoshopped pictures answering my WTB ads. But this time was sadly different I am 17 and have been on this site for a while reading threads and absorbing information and trying to quicken my mostly self taught hunting learning experience. And as I was preparing for what was supposed to be my best season yet I decided to use my savings from working the past two years to purchase a pair of 12x42 NL pures which was supposed to last me a lifetime. I posted a WTB ad and was contacted a day later by Robertsonscoot offering to sell me his for 2500 he subsequently showed me pictures and we chatted about there condition. I of course did the customary check of his profile looking at what he had sold and what he has said on threads and everything checked out he had been a member since 2021 and had supposedly sold a gun and some other things before and had a 100% rating. He also started some threads that people replied to about normal things like what powder he should use and good loads for his pistol. Then I made my fatal mistake he asked me if I could use friends and family so he didn’t have to wait for the bank to hold his money which I understood because I have had to weight the 21 days for the money to clear and I was glad that I didn’t have to pay the fee. So sadly I sent the money all two years of working after school for minimum wage. Now I am 6 days away from leaving on what was supposed to be my biggest and best adventure yet with my mom allowing me to go on a backpack deer hunt by myself for 9 days which was supposed to be my reward for working two jobs all summer. Now with no money and no binoculars. Just want everyone to be aware that scammers have gotten a lot better and to watch out and never ever use friends and family the fee is worth it. To the person who scammed me I hope you feel good about your choice to scam hardworking people out of there hard earned money.

Hope you all have a great season
He definitely was not your typical scammer. He tried to get me for $500 for a spotter. Something just felt off so I told him I needed a day to get back to him. Then he got pushy so I started digging more. That’s when I saw he was banned.

@OregonHunter13
I got a pair of Kowa BD ii 10x42 that are a year old, I can send you. Just shoot me a pm.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
sure it's OK,

where do I send my $10?

But, we've specifically warned about this:

"...Then I made my fatal mistake he asked me if I could use friends and family so he didn’t have to wait for the bank to hold his money which I understood because I have had to weight the 21 days for the money to clear and I was glad that I didn’t have to pay the fee."

I'll gladly contribute $10. Just tell me where to send.

Status
Not open for further replies.