Scammers!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Hard times bring out more online scammers. I'm getting lots of emails from members asking about certain members.

Couple of things to watch out for. If a person messages you through tapatalk we have zero control over their messaging system.

Scammers still get on Rokslide. If it feels weird it probably is. If you are unsure ask for more info, pics, text them or call them.

WTB ads seem to be a hot spot for scammers.

I am sorry I can't always get PMs answered or solved about classified issues. It takes up WAY more time than I ever expected or wanted. Rokslide is my thrid job most days. So please use common sense and always protect yourself.

gdc23

FNG
I had a close call today with a Mattwi who has been a member here for over a year. He responded to my WTB Kahles scope ad with the usual "Hey buddy, you still in the market" only he was saying he had the scope. While looking into his limited previous posts they seemed normal and educated so I asked that he send photos with a piece of paper under the scope with his name and date on it to verify he had the scope. I received the photos and asked for his PayPal address, which is when he informed me that he doesn't use PayPal due to their anti gun stance. This sent enough of a red flag that I felt I needed to investigate further. After an online search I came up with an older classified from 24Campfire where the photos were stolen from and altered using photo shop. Attached is one of the photos from the original ad along with the altered photo with his info. Be careful, only use a payment method that offers protection

Attachments

• Real photo.jpg
    Real photo.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 251
  • Scam1.jpg
    Scam1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 252

NB7

WKR
Good catch. Def a couple phony things in that pic. I'm laughing at the missing reflection of the white on the scope tube, right above where the "a' is in "Bart". It's there in the original pic and ends where the binder trim on the owner's manual is....same place it ends on the new tag. He photoshopped in the shadow and still forgot that part, lol

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on a number of outdoor websites, and it seems the WTB ads are a magnet for these guys. Most of the time, it's a supposed relative that has the item. Due diligence will almost always ferret them out. It will only get worse in these times, and I'll only do business with members who have a good track record.

Yikes. One of the reasons I hate trying to sell anything used online, and why I'm trying WTS local first when I do...I just don't want to deal with filtering out attempts to scam.
I guess sticking to Paypal is a good first line of defense?

Be extremely careful with WTB ads. I recently got burned on another forum.

Member had been around for 6 months with a post count and feedback. His grammar was fine and he was very knowledgeable of the specific item I wanted. We talked and he wanted too much. A week later he messaged back accepting my original offer and that is how I let my guard down by letting my emotions into it.... this guy was definitely better than most but I still feel like an idiot.

Had I been more diligent I would have found his posts were mostly fluff and the feedback was from other new members.

Ask to call them, accent is a giveaway. Use paypal G/S. Look closely at their forum history.

oly51179

FNG
Someone just hacked my account. Nrolson2002 is the handle. Don't buy from it until I get it figured out. Sent emails already and trying to get it closed

Someone just hacked my account. Nrolson2002 is the handle. Don't buy from it until I get it figured out. Sent emails already and trying to get it closed
@Ryan Avery is on it. He's reset your account log in after the dirtbag tried to scam a few people. Now the dirtbag is screwing with some other accounts...

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
I was one of those people that ALMOST took the bait! I am so glad I didn’t fall for it. The scary thing was if he would have treated the transaction like any other normal person and didn’t get weird about doing F&F paypal upfront I don’t think I would have had any idea.

PRC_GUY

WKR
I post WTB and get scammed once.
Be aware of “ email my counsin, my good friend etc,

do not deal with these scams , being in this website suppose to have relax time and meet others with the same interested in hobby.

PRC_GUY

WKR
This asshole member send 2 email about he scammed me and said will pay me back

be aware of member name : Frank405 or marcus129

Attachments

• AFB56976-E2D1-421F-85B7-7630EA035C2E.png
    AFB56976-E2D1-421F-85B7-7630EA035C2E.png
    317.2 KB · Views: 62
  • FF255DD9-4855-4F53-BF09-5BBC77E8BADB.png
    FF255DD9-4855-4F53-BF09-5BBC77E8BADB.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 61