Scaphoid surgery recovery?

Getting a screw to fix my scaphoid chunks back together next week and doc says recovery time is hard to predict. Just curious if anyone here has had this surgery and how long their recovery was?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did not have any screws as I had a bone spur on the scaphoid which the doc took out. My recovery was pretty quick and I was back to work in 2 weeks.

Randy

Marble

WKR
My brother had his fixed. Mine healed. He got a big cyst on his wrist that the doctor walked with something and broke it up. He's fine now.

I dont recall how long it took him to recover as he was young. Proudly 16 or so. Wasn't too long though.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
I fractured mine around 20 years old but didn't require surgery. Healed up no problems. I do remember hearing that blood supply to that bone is low so recovery and healing can be slow depending on the severity. What did the doc quote ya?

lwrider20

FNG
ive broken my right scaphoid twice and with no surgery it was 8 weeks in a cast before i could start rehab. broke my left one and it needed a screw and that was 4 weeks in a cast before rehab. ill admit i still get some pain in that area when working out or mountain biking but nothing horrible.

OP
canyonhunter47
ive broken my right scaphoid twice and with no surgery it was 8 weeks in a cast before i could start rehab. broke my left one and it needed a screw and that was 4 weeks in a cast before rehab. ill admit i still get some pain in that area when working out or mountain biking but nothing horrible.
That’s good to hear. I’m hoping not too much more than you in a cast. Doc said time could vary but he’d be shocked if I wasn’t pretty well recovered in 6 months. Still not in time for archery elk though (at least truly ready)

stdeb11

FNG
I broke mine in highschool playing football (15yrs ago now). Took 2 surgeries with screws to fix. First surgery the bone didn't heal. Second surgery they had to reroute a vein to get blood flow back to bone and required using a bone growth stimulator twice daily. Guess that's what I get for ignoring it for 2 months. If that wouldn't have worked I was told the next step was to fuse the wrist straight....

Anyways, recovery for me was long. I spent about 10months in some form of a cast or brace. It's still not as flexible and hurts significantly more often than my "good" wrist. But, wrist works well enough for all activities.

Hope yours goes much smoother than that, my only advice would be to do whatever stretches or excercises they give you for rehab.