Scared of bears

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Although I'm slightly scared of bears I've tossed around the idea of trying a bear hunt not only to face the fear but to try something new. I live in NW Nebraska so I'm not to awful far from where I've seen and heard of a lot of bear hunts taking place. What state would one recommend for someone to try a bear hunt? I don't mind hiking, I'm not above hunting bait, rifle, archery, doesn't matter. Just more or less trying to get some ideas of where to start.

Haha the title is scared of bears. Never seen that one. If you're able to get comfortable with it, I'd look at fall bear season in CO or spring bear in WY, MT, or ID. Lots of bears out there. For the scaredy cats (and I have a bit of that in me related to large predators), it's probably advisable to stick to more open country as you're narrowing down where to hunt.

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Haha the title is scared of bears. Never seen that one. If you're able to get comfortable with it, I'd look at fall bear season in CO or spring bear in WY, MT, or ID. Lots of bears out there. For the scaredy cats (and I have a bit of that in me related to large predators), it's probably advisable to stick to more open country as you're narrowing down where to hunt.
Fully noted! haha! Mountain lions scare the crap out of me too but im working on that here in Nebraska. Just gotta get the right conditions then I'll be going with a friend to try and cut tracks. Nervous as hell but I'll live... hopefully. Any who, open country is definitely a comfort thought! I watched the Idaho rifle hunt with Kristy Titus and Jordan Budd, that looks like something up my alley for the ice breaker. Close enough for the shot but far enough ive got a few minutes to bend over and kiss by butt bye if needed. Still not sold on the whole tree stand hunt 40 yards from bait so a bear can shimmy up the tree next to me and look into my empty soul at that point. I'd need a change of britches.

Okhotnik

WKR
Fully noted! haha! Mountain lions scare the crap out of me too but im working on that here in Nebraska. Just gotta get the right conditions then I'll be going with a friend to try and cut tracks. Nervous as hell but I'll live... hopefully. Any who, open country is definitely a comfort thought! I watched the Idaho rifle hunt with Kristy Titus and Jordan Budd, that looks like something up my alley for the ice breaker. Close enough for the shot but far enough ive got a few minutes to bend over and kiss by butt bye if needed. Still not sold on the whole tree stand hunt 40 yards from bait so a bear can shimmy up the tree next to me and look into my empty soul at that point. I'd need a change of britches.

You're much much more likely to get killed in an auto accident on the way to your hunting area. When you examine the number of people ( hundreds of thousands a year) that spend time in bear and lion habitat the numbers of attacks are extremely low. There are a few areas in Wy, Montana , BC and Alaska that grizzly give me some concern having had a few fairly close encounters.

Like idahohikker said, MT/WY/ID spring bear are all great options. WY would probably be easiest since it's closest but just find an area and season that is what you are looking for and go for it. Staying to open country is another great idea. Here in NW MT I tend to walk gated logging roads to get to clear cuts and almost always you have plenty of visibility. I'll never forget walking up on my first bear I killed. I knew full well that it was completely expired but it was still a bit creepy being that close to one haha. Spring bear has become one of my favorite hunts and hopefully you will enjoy it too.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
What makes you think it will be the tree next to you and not the tree you are in?

Wrench

WKR
Don't let it get to you. The woods are FILLED with shit that makes its living by killing to eat, yet the vast majority will never even see a predator.

Once you begin to hunt them you'll understand how prevalent they can be.

I've had around 100 bear encounters in my life bot black and griz. I have had two that stood there and looked at me or didn't turn and the others ALL turned like I had a vest with an alarm clock wired to it.

Don't let it weird you out. Cubs scare me more than big boars. Moms protect them , boars like to kill them and he cubs....they're curious as hell.

Give them space.

Once you hear a bear or cat run off at full tilt and not make a sound you'll realize that you are screwed if they want you dead.....but that is how they die, they know it too and respect us as we do them.

jfs82

WKR
I'll play the broken record again here, California. August through November. Help us reach the quota.
Im going to second this again. Lots of bears throughout the Sierra's and basically all of the northern part of the state. Lots of bears.

Brendan

WKR
I saw a crapload of black bears in the Alpine in Wyoming the first two weeks of September. Buy a tag, and scout out some areas for future Elk/Deer hunts.

Scariest thing that ever happened to me was this year. Sitting, relaxing near treeline with my binos out listening for bugles and looking for Elk, when a little bear cub walks 10 yards in front of me and looks at me. Pistol and Bear Spray was about 15 yards behind me (Moron) so really glad it didn't see me and alert mom... Mom was BIG...

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Although I'm slightly scared of bears I've tossed around the idea of trying a bear hunt not only to face the fear but to try something new. I live in NW Nebraska so I'm not to awful far from where I've seen and heard of a lot of bear hunts taking place. What state would one recommend for someone to try a bear hunt? I don't mind hiking, I'm not above hunting bait, rifle, archery, doesn't matter. Just more or less trying to get some ideas of where to start.
Let's talk at the WHE. I have a bunch of info for you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk