Scared of YOTIES!

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My youngest cousin Is interested in camping so I decided to take him out with me on an overnight trip. He did fine until that night when there where tons of coyotes howling and screaming really loud. What can I do to end his fear. He stayed up all night scared to death.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
He survived it didn't he? I have a friend who couldn't sleep because of a field mouse that we seen at camp. He didn't sleep at all that night, and I give him hell about it every time he talks about it.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
He survived it didn't he? I have a friend who couldn't sleep because of a field mouse that we seen at camp. He didn't sleep at all that night, and I give him hell about it every time he talks about it.
😂

As a mental health professional take his fear seriously. Do not tease him, at all. The only reason you know about it is because he trusted you with this information.

I recommend short trips during he day to start. After 2 to 3 day trips, gently inquire about his interest in extending the trip to a couple hours of night, hunting coyotes. Neve ever leave him alone. Start slow and very easy and very slowly build into it.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
They is no way to sugarcoat this, Hunting is quite a dangerous sport. poisoned leaves, snake, wild animals. I mean hunters do get eaten every now and then it's no secret so whoever is taking the step to go out to hunt must have a little spine in them. Imagine such a person born in medieval times in a village of hunters, He has to face his fears somehow, at some point.

Last edited:

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I highly recommend hunting for them at night. He very well may be less fearful of them by learning about them and hunting them. This could be a great opportunity/teaching point!

I use this scan light and gun light and feel it’s by far the best there is.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
As a mental health professional take his fear seriously. Do not tease him, at all. The only reason you know about it is because he trusted you with this information.

I recommend short trips during he day to start. After 2 to 3 day trips, gently inquire about his interest in extending the trip to a couple hours of night, hunting coyotes. Neve ever leave him alone. Start slow and very easy and very slowly build into it.
Thank you, I will try it.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I highly recommend hunting for them at night. He very well may be less fearful of them by learning about them and hunting them. This could be a great opportunity/teaching point!

I use this scan light and gun light and feel it’s by far the best there is.

On those red lights, if you have a coyote in range, and you shine the light will it scare them away?

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
They is no way to sugarcoat this, Hunting is quite a dangerous sport. poisoned leaves, snake, wild animals. I mean hunter do get eating every now and then it's no secret so whoever is taking the step to go out to hunt must have a little spine in them. Imagine such a person born in medieval times in a village of hunters, He has to face his fears somehow, at some point.
You are right.

They is no way to sugarcoat this, Hunting is quite a dangerous sport. poisoned leaves, snake, wild animals. I mean hunter do get eating every now and then it's no secret so whoever is taking the step to go out to hunt must have a little spine in them. Imagine such a person born in medieval times in a village of hunters, He has to face his fears somehow, at some point.

It's an irrational fear, many people go through life never facing them. Slow methodical ever so gentle exposure is a proven therapy.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
On those red lights, if you have a coyote in range, and you shine the light will it scare them away?

No sir. The red light serves 2 purposes. One, it allows you to see them (their eyes will reflect the light and “glow”) and secondly, the light is your camouflage as long as you keep the light on them, they can’t see you. But...if you look away, look down and light glares off of your rifle-they will bust you and take off.
With the scan light-I can see eyes glow well past 400 yards. The gun light is much brighter, and when they are in range to shoot, turn that on and then your scan light off. This will allow you to positively ID your animal and take the shot.
Basically, on a pitch black night, I am using a caller and slowly scanning (turning my head) with the headlight until I see eyes glow back at me. At that point keeping light on them until i am ready to shoot.
Some great videos on you tube of the owner of Night eyes. He is a coyote slaying machine! He does seminars and I believe now has a hunting show.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
No sir. The red light serves 2 purposes. One, it allows you to see them (their eyes will reflect the light and “glow”) and secondly, the light is your camouflage as long as you keep the light on them, they can’t see you. But...if you look away, look down and light glares off of your rifle-they will bust you and take off.
With the scan light-I can see eyes glow well past 400 yards. The gun light is much brighter, and when they are in range to shoot, turn that on and then your scan light off. This will allow you to positively ID your animal and take the shot.
Basically, on a pitch black night, I am using a caller and slowly scanning (turning my head) with the headlight until I see eyes glow back at me. At that point keeping light on them until i am ready to shoot.
Some great videos on you tube of the owner of Night eyes. He is a coyote slaying machine! He does seminars and I believe now has a hunting show.
Oh ok, I thought it just gave you a quick second to shoot till they ran.

I was in my early 30's car camping alone and got scared. Still slept but those first howls raised the hair on my neck. It still does it to me the first trip of every year it seems. I just got used to it though. Sometimes I even love the howls. When I take my kids camping I'm going to have them howl along with them, like Pecos Bill. I hope they will perceive the howls as more of a night song than something to be scared of, something fun even.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was in my early 30's car camping alone and got scared. Still slept but those first howls raised the hair on my neck. It still does it to me the first trip of every year it seems. I just got used to it though. Sometimes I even love the howls. When I take my kids camping I'm going to have them howl along with them, like Pecos Bill. I hope they will perceive the howls as more of a night song than something to be scared of, something fun even.
That is a very good idea!

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
If you have an ecaller you can set it up outside his window at home and play howls and yelps. I have no idea what this would accomplish but it sounds fun for someone scared of them