Scared of YOTIES!

Laramie

WKR
How old are we talking about here? Youngest cousin could mean any age. I think it is natural for a kid to be afraid if not taught right but as an adult... They just likely would need to be educated that they aren't a real threat. Shoot one and show in that case.
I taught my son at 5 how to get them to howl back to him in the dark- which also got the turkeys gobbling. We had a blast and to this day almost 7 years later he will still ask me to pull over at night so he can try to get some going. I'm sure bubblehide's method would work but there are more ways to skin a cat that can be a lot faster.

CMF

WKR
depending on age, i would say provide information that shows they aren't really a threat, and they primarily prey on small game, etc. you tube videos, articles, etc. maybe seeing them in real life at the zoo or hunting them during the day or night.
The first few times with the kids when we heard them in the deer blind or tent camping, I thought my kids would freak, but they could care less. I can't really explain why they don't have a fear of them though.

That crazy yapping taps into everyone's fear center at first, it invokes a notion of being eaten alive by a pack. After he shoots one, that fear is gone, he becomes the threat instead of the threatened. Take him out and blast a few.

Last edited:
OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
How old are we talking about here? Youngest cousin could mean any age. I think it is natural for a kid to be afraid if not taught right but as an adult... They just likely would need to be educated that they aren't a real threat. Shoot one and show in that case.
I taught my son at 5 how to get them to howl back to him in the dark- which also got the turkeys gobbling. We had a blast and to this day almost 7 years later he will still ask me to pull over at night so he can try to get some going. I'm sure bubblehide's method would work but there are more ways to skin a cat that can be a lot faster.
Hes 10.

I highly recommend hunting for them at night. He very well may be less fearful of them by learning about them and hunting them. This could be a great opportunity/teaching point!

I use this scan light and gun light and feel it’s by far the best there is.

I have this exact setup brand new i used it one time id sell, awsome company, i went thermal and nv tough to kill em here in michigan with lights