Scared to move on from my Jetboil?!

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
If I were to make the switch I’d really need to see how to bring the fuel consumption down on the smaller stoves. My Jetboil used 3 gr of fuel to boil two cups in 2:45, and the MSR pocket rocket deluxe used 11gr of fuel and took anywhere from 3:30-4min. Haven’t used any of the other small stoves except a snow peak. I’m hoping to get out on a weekend excursion soon where I will carry both stoves and see how it works out for me. I think if I was doing a 3-4 day trip I’d feel confident in the smaller stove, but thinking about 10-12 days and I feel I’d have to carry more fuel, which would negate any weight savings. Yesterday I was thinking of getting a new Jetboil as they are lighter by almost 4ozs over the older version I have. Change is hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnhmr

FNG
I'd take a gander at the stove systems from https://www.traildesigns.com/

JB's perceived limitations:
- fuel source (iso-butane), non-refillable, unknown fuel level, impacted by temp/wind
- bulk
- weight

Edit: The coolest application I've seen of the JB line of stoves is when climbers are doing multi-day multi-pitches and hang the stove in their suspended tent/platform. Gotta remember, the gear out there is sometimes intended for endeavors most of us do not consider. The JB is meant to work when you cannot risk open flame - there are far more options to consider if you do not need the safety requirements (i.e. flame) from the JB.

Last edited:
It doesn't surprise me that some of the hardcore Jetboil defenders of a few years ago are switching.....

I wouldn’t say that I was a hardcore JB defender, but I definitely love the simplicity, reliability, compactness, and efficiency of my JB’s. I’m just not too fond of the weight.

Brianb3

WKR
Don’t switch. I had the snow peak. I would sit next to my hunting partner days after days waiting for my water to boil in the wind while he would be eating his mountain house. My stubborn brain kept telling me the 4 oz I was saving was worth the extra seven minutes of boiling time.

It wasn’t till last year in a snow storm and me waiting ten minutes longer then him did I decide it wasn’t worth it.

I’d say don’t do it.

Beendare

WKR
I wouldn’t say that I was a hardcore JB defender, but I definitely love the simplicity, reliability, compactness, and efficiency of my JB’s. I’m just not too fond of the weight.

Yeah, I wasn't picking on anyone in particular, I can tell you know your stuff......but a few years ago it seems everyone was enamored with the JB's including a few buddies- touting the JB. My buddies have switched...as are a few guys here.

JB is pretty good at what it does- boil water fast....but its bulky, heavy, plastic, and not flexible at all if you want to cook anything else. That fell on deaf ears years ago...seems to me, its not until some of these melted down guys seem to reconsider.

Akshphntr

FNG
A big plus with the jetboil is locking the pot to the burner in wind and steep terrain

I tried to leave my Jet Boil Sol and MSR Reactor for a Toaks 550 cup and BRS 3000 stove but just couldn’t do it. It worked ok on the kitchen counter but was crazy sketchy feeling when on a trip. The tiny stove with a cup balancing on top and flames shooting out around the sides just gave me an uneasy feeling compared to the solid connection and contained heat source of the JB & MSR. Wasn’t worth the small weight savings to me.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I tried to leave my Jet Boil Sol and MSR Reactor for a Toaks 550 cup and BRS 3000 stove but just couldn’t do it. It worked ok on the kitchen counter but was crazy sketchy feeling when on a trip. The tiny stove with a cup balancing on top and flames shooting out around the sides just gave me an uneasy feeling compared to the solid connection and contained heat source of the JB & MSR. Wasn’t worth the small weight savings to me.

Yeah I have decided I can’t really give up the jet boil right now. It has worked perfectly and the fuel consumption is soooooo much better than on the pocket rocket deluxe I bought and tried out. The weight savings appears as though it would be negated by having to carry more fuel.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Pocket Rocket and MSR Titanium pot for the last 18 years. Same setup, works every time, no futzing, light enough and takes up little space.
I would out of curiosity like to test out the SOTO Windmaster, as I have heard it really does well in wind/breezes, thereby reducing the need for a windscreen (I just prop up rocks, etc. and not bring a separate screen now) which would help with boil times I think.

Pocket Rocket and MSR Titanium pot for the last 18 years. Same setup, works every time, no futzing, light enough and takes up little space.
I would out of curiosity like to test out the SOTO Windmaster, as I have heard it really does well in wind/breezes, thereby reducing the need for a windscreen (I just prop up rocks, etc. and not bring a separate screen now) which would help with boil times I think.
I have a Windmaster and it's pretty good. From what I've heard the MSR pocket rocket deluxe is as good if not better. One thing I like about the MSR is that the supports stay connected. The disconnecting supports on the Windmaster are an extra step, and something that could be lost.

Never owned a jetboil but I have used them with friends before. I think for space and weight it’s hard to beat a pocket rocket style canister stove. 4 ounce fuel can, PR2, and a mini bic fits perfect in a toaks 650 and works like a champ. The jetboil may have an advantage in the wind but I’ll use a piece of foil as a windshield if needed with the pocket rocket.

16Bore

WKR
I have an original old skool JB, Snopeak 600 + max lite “kit”, JB Sol Ti, and Kovea Spider +900Ti and or 1400Ti “Kit”....

The OG JetBoil has had the snot beat out of it, rolled around in my truck and has had more action than the other 3 combined.

Mike 338

WKR
Been using a Jet Boil for a while. Last year, I spiked on a ridge. Water was quite a hike away, which I wasn't in the mood for at the end of the day and it was down hill so I had to carry it up to get it back. I caved in and just melted snow, which there was plenty of. It was plenty faster and easier than filtering and humping water all over creation. On-board ignition is way nice too. I have yet to have a single butane lighter last a hunt, regardless of the number of days. The weight savings is significant with the Pocket Rocket but due to it's efficiency, you may want to carry an extra fuel. Last year I was glad to have all the extra fuel I brought anyway if your the type to count ounces, it could be a thing. I imagine the Pocket Rocket saves some space too which for me is always a big deal. I'd say, try the PR in rough conditions, take an extra fuel and extra lighter and maybe a small steel just in case your lighters crap out. I dropped about 45 lbs in the last couple years so I'm not stressing about a couple ounces in my pack. Fact is, I picked up a liquid fuel stove cause I plan on melting snow any chance I get. It's so much easier than filtering and carrying water. Butane craps out pretty fast in cold temps.

fwafwow

WKR
Admittedly I've just done one elk trip but my BSR took forever to boil water and used lots of fuel. After many envious looks at my buddy's jetboil, and having him heat my coffee water, I bought the way heavier Jetboil flash. Love it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I’ve been saying this for about 10 years but I don’t think the backcountry is any place for plastic in a backpack stove. This is the 3rd one I’ve personally seen melt the plastic.

One of my buddies bought the new Jetboil model and melted the plastic on its first trip. The pietzo lighter was a dud- had to use a lighter.
258EAAA2-696F-4450-B543-4720D085919A.jpeg
still functioning but that just shouldnt happen on a $130 stove.