Scared to move on from my Jetboil?!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've yet to find something that boils faster and more reliable than the MSR Reactor... If I was going solo I would consider the Ti Pot and the Pocket Rocket, but that Reactor is a reliable component of my kit....

I'm solely a water boiler using dehydrated meals, a back-country chef is probably going to use something different... : )

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the MSR windburner duo. Same great efficiency as the regular windburner, better in wind than a jetboil, and is all metal and better cog. The biggest con to the jetboil and regular windburner is the pastic.

i use a pocket rocket during summer/nice weather without issue. Long trips, bad conditions, cold— its the windburner duo every time. Have used it down to -20F by using the cup to put the canister in and pouring water over it.

At a certain point the time it takes to boil water outweighs the benefit of the stove’s weight, the faster the stove boils water, the less fuel you will need on a long trip, thus negating any weight savings of the lighter stove.

i use a pocket rocket during summer/nice weather without issue. Long trips, bad conditions, cold— its the windburner duo every time. Have used it down to -20F by using the cup to put the canister in and pouring water over it.

More people, longer trip, colder weather... issues of fuel consumption will favor the JB type stoves for fuel weight savings - usually not an issue for most trips.

I use some generic pocket rocket type that I picked up in NZ. With a little titanium mug, it is my go to 90% of the time. I like the small space taken up and light weight.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
More people, longer trip, colder weather... issues of fuel consumption will favor the JB type stoves for fuel weight savings - usually not an issue for most trips.

I use some generic pocket rocket type that I picked up in NZ. With a little titanium mug, it is my go to 90% of the time. I like the small space taken up and light weight.

And this too is where I ended up, kept the jet boil for longer trips and Soto windmaster for shorter solo trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running an MSR pocket rocket for over a decade now using a sno-peak mug as well. I tried the jetboil and while its awesome for making hot water fast and lightweight, I didn't care for it. Its pretty one dimensional. I can boil enough water in my mug for both my MH meal and coffee/tea at the same time without needing a second cup. It's also handy that my sno-peak mug nests with both a 32oz and 48oz Nalgene bottle allowing for better storage during travel. I don't count ounces, I carry what I need, or at least try to.

Just my thoughts, good luck with your decision.
My experience exactly. My MSR pocket rocket has never failed me.

I'm also still rocking the old Pocket Rocket, sometimes switching to a Primus Ti (similar System but you know...Titanium, which I got as a gift), never had any problems and don't realy see any difference between the two. Exept some ounces of weight and a little bit space saving on the primus.
Both of them will burn more fuel in the snow, but which one doesnt't...

Mike 338

WKR
Timely thread. I dropped my Jet Boil and broke it. It was cold P&J's for the rest of the hunt.

Blaw

WKR
I moved from a jetboil to this set up, notice the windscreen...i found with the BRS stove that if there is a decent wind that little guy has a tough time boiling water

thats a toaks 550 titanium pot
small lighter
hotlips
brs 3000 stove
primus windscreen
tinfoil
trusty ikea ziplock

Attachments

• thumbnail_20191110_100033.jpg
    thumbnail_20191110_100033.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 104
  • thumbnail_20191110_100111.jpg
    thumbnail_20191110_100111.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 103

16Bore

WKR
Those disposable casserole pans can be cut into all kinds of windscreens.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Soto Windmaster is solid as hell and lightweight. I have yet to hit the igniter and the stove not light. It boils water really fast as well. I would check it out for sure. I think ROKSLIDE needs a Stove comparison thread like the ice chest shootouts.

Broomd

WKR
I've been running an MSR pocket rocket for over a decade now using a sno-peak mug as well. I tried the jetboil and while its awesome for making hot water fast and lightweight, I didn't care for it. Its pretty one dimensional. I can boil enough water in my mug for both my MH meal and coffee/tea at the same time without needing a second cup. It's also handy that my sno-peak mug nests with both a 32oz and 48oz Nalgene bottle allowing for better storage during travel. I don't count ounces, I carry what I need, or at least try to.

Just my thoughts, good luck with your decision.
The way I roll too....The jetboil kit is just too damn big and heavy for my light pack.

550 ml is almost too perfect of a size. Always bothered me being so full and boiling to get the water I needed for a Mtn house meal. If trying the UL combo again I’d definitely buy the 650ml.

coues32

WKR
Bought windmaster came with foldable 4 prong and 3 prong pot support. 4 stays put , great support and folds,with toaks pot boiled water really fast. Think faster than my jb, but will have to do a SBS test.

Bought windmaster came with foldable 4 prong and 3 prong pot support. 4 stays put , great support and folds,with toaks pot boiled water really fast. Think faster than my jb, but will have to do a SBS test.

Guaranteed it won’t boil water faster, and it definitely won’t boil it more efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk