Scared to move on from my Jetboil?!

Exactly as mentioned above, less heat is escaping and more is being transferred into the pot and water. That's why the heat exchanger bottom cups like Jetboils work like they do. They are basically capturing the escaping heat and transferring it up and into the cup. Wider pots work better for melting snow as well.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Here is my ultralight setup when i do not use my jetboil flash.

Evernew titanium pot (small)
BRS 3000-T titanium burner
Toaks titanium cup (450ml)

It is by far the lightest setup i can think of or come up with. However you also have to take in consideration of how fuel efficient a jetboil is. Any exposed burner suffers with wind and makes for wasted fuel consumption. with that said, taking a jetboil you can bring smaller fuel canisters = less weight.

Last edited:
So in my ongoing attempt at beating a dead horse, I did a few more boil comparisons.
I just got these new stoves in the mail today and thought I’d do some comparisons. The stove I just got is another cheapo throw away, much like the BRH 3000, but this one weighs 1.2 oz. (0.3 oz. more than the BRH), has a larger footprint (more stable for larger diameter pots), and only cost $4 ($6 with shipping, so I bought two).
I first compared the new stove with a 650ml Toaks pot with 16 oz. of 40ish degree tap water. Boil time was 5 min. 15 sec. and used 7 grams of fuel.
66cefcd290228c6b80345ded68078752.jpg

Then I used the same amount/temp. water in a 1 liter Olicamp XTS pot. Boil time was 3 min. 30 sec. and used 5 grams of fuel.

380c0a63d03cd7a9233fa91940e73444.jpg

Then I used a Jetboil SOL, same amount/temp. water and boil time was 2 min. 30 sec. and used 5 grams of fuel.

Wt. of the Jetboil (pot, lid, stove).

d13c03e48de3dace86adaa40c43c3531.jpg

Wt. of the Olicamp (pot, lid, stove, and mini Bic lighter).

78ff8facd8d3e001218d463c9aeaba71.jpg

Size and wt. of the new $4 stove.

ddce03aacd23f55e52b4f783027405cd.jpg

ef794ba44ab58e5fa9d2b2eb9e35a614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slim9300

WKR
Keep in mind that a Jetboil is significantly more efficient than say a MSR Pocket Rocket in less than ideal conditions in my experience (which is nearly every trip I do). That even includes when a foil screen is used to a lesser extent. Even a light breeze getting through to the stove drastically increases boil times and fuel consumption on a design like the Pocket Rocket (but obviously affects a Jetboil also).

I was on a recent 5 day trip and my buddy and his wife went through 100 grams of isobutane on his Pocket Rocket by day 4. Normally he is able to get 5 days for two people or 9-10 for himself in more ideal conditions. That’s coffee/oatmeal, and dinners. My wife and I used my Jetboil Aluminum SOL and only used roughly 70g of fuel over the same period and with similar usage. I have had this stove for a decade now also, so who knows if it’s the best Jetboil option anymore.

I have a feeling that something like the MSR Reactor would be equally more efficient than the Jetboil design in adverse/typical conditions. You won’t see me adding the weight for this option however. I will stick with my Jetboil. The fact that I have already gotten 10 years out of it (minus the igniter and lower plastic cup of course), makes me pretty happy. That has been a ton of usage.

All my prior research indicated that a Jetboil was clearly the more ideal choice when trip exceeded 8 days and running a 100/110g canister.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that a Jetboil is significantly more efficient than say a MSR Pocket Rocket in less than ideal conditions in my experience (which is nearly every trip I do). That even includes when a foil screen is used to a lesser extent. Even a light breeze getting through to the stove drastically increases boil times and fuel consumption on a design like the Pocket Rocket (but obviously affects a Jetboil also).

I was on a recent 5 day trip and my buddy and his wife went through 100 grams of isobutane on his Pocket Rocket by day 4. Normally he is able to get 5 days for two people or 9-10 for himself in more ideal conditions. That’s coffee/oatmeal, and dinners. My wife and I used my Jetboil Aluminum SOL and only used roughly 70g of fuel over the same period and with similar usage. I have had this stove for a decade now also, so who knows if it’s the best Jetboil option anymore.

I have a feeling that something like the MSR Reactor would be equally more efficient than the Jetboil design in adverse/typical conditions. You won’t see me adding the weight for this option however. I will stick with my Jetboil. The fact that I have already gotten 10 years out of it (minus the igniter and lower plastic cup of course), makes me pretty happy. That has been a ton of usage.

All my prior research indicated that a Jetboil was clearly the more ideal choice when trip exceeded 8 days and running a 100/110g canister.

No doubt the JB is more efficient than the standard titanium cup/pot and PR style stove combo, but from my testing I’ve found that the Olicamp pot, when combined with the PR style stove, is just as efficient as the JB.

I would assume that if a person took a JB titanium cup and a dremel tool to the bottom of it, to accommodate the PR style stove, you could probably have the best of both worlds as far as weight and efficiency.

slim9300

WKR
No doubt the JB is more efficient than the standard titanium cup/pot and PR style stove combo, but from my testing I’ve found that the Olicamp pot, when combined with the PR style stove, is just as efficient as the JB.

I would assume that if a person took a JB titanium cup and a dremel tool to the bottom of it, to accommodate the PR style stove, you could probably have the best of both worlds as far as weight and efficiency.

Not a bad idea! The titanium cups are not known for their durability in those fins though. They tend to fail with regular use. The crazy thing is that when you factor in JB’s weights for the Ti and Alu SOL without fuel canister support and lower plastic cup, the two setups are within 0.857 of an ounce of each other. Considering all of this I could never justify buying one. But .86 of an ounce is nearly an ounce of savings and that’s worth something!

Beendare

WKR
Weight is only one factor for me....utility and durability is a big one....so no plastic stove for me in the backcountry.

I have one of those Olicamp pots ordered.........thanks for the info Ak Trout!

_____

My dremel modified Jetboil Ti cup has held up extremely well over the past 5 years or so in the mountains. You have to make certain that there's water in those Ti cups though, as I've heard horror stories of the fins going into meltdown mode otherwise.

slim9300

WKR
My dremel modified Jetboil Ti cup has held up extremely well over the past 5 years or so in the mountains. You have to make certain that there's water in those Ti cups though, as I've heard horror stories of the fins going into meltdown mode otherwise.

Good to know! Thank you for the update.

I sometimes use a regular jetboil cup with a brs or a Soto stove. You just have to slightly bend the fins to make a gap for the stove arms. I much prefer using a jetboil cup this way to the Olicamp if I want a cup with a heat exchanger. It’s slimmer, so fits in my pack better.

I did exactly as B_Reynolds mentioned. I very slightly opened up 3 of the fins on the Jetboil cup for the Soto supports to fit. I then marked on the side of the Jetboil cup with a Sharpee so it was easy to reference in the field and get the slots lined up. One of the Soto supports is thicker, due to the built in/bent metal clip for making it lay flat. I mark that spot with a wider mark so that I make certain to get the arms lined up perfectly and keep the burner centered on the pot.

I sometimes use a regular jetboil cup with a brs or a Soto stove. You just have to slightly bend the fins to make a gap for the stove arms. I much prefer using a jetboil cup this way to the Olicamp if I want a cup with a heat exchanger. It’s slimmer, so fits in my pack better.

I've decided to ditch my heavy/clunky Jetboil burner this year and got a BRS. Planning to either run my Jetboil Aluminum pot or get a Ti pot like a Toaks. Decisions....

LeeB

FNG
I am ditching my Jetboil flash this year!! I have been testing my new setup.
Soto WindMaster
Olicamp Xts pot
I cut slots in the bottom of the heat exchanger ring so the burner sets closer to the pot. I have run it both times in my yard with 2 cups of tap water and wind better 5-10 both times. First boil 1:33 second boil a couple weeks later 1:25. 7 grams of fuel used with the stove wide open.

BBob

WKR
.8L Jetboil pot w/factory lid and cozy w/handle no plastic cup
Soto Windmaster stove w/modified 4 leg clip on pot support
9.2 oz TTL weight

4 leg clip on pot support has legs cut off short (folding portion of legs cut off completely) so it slips under the bottom of Jetboil pot without modifying the pot. Burner support sits on the base of the pot. 8oz water ~80°, ambient air temp ~80°, boil time 1' 45" or less w/~4gm fuel consumption per 8oz boil. Fuel consumption equals factory advertised Jetboil setup. Stove is not run @ full burn but is throttled back to I'd guess 75% output? I put my hand around the bottom of the pot and feel how hot it is and adjust so it feels right. Total judgement call.

3 leg pot support would be .2oz lighter

Last edited:
Best thing I ever did was ditch my JetBoil for a Pocket Rocket and a Titanium something from a certain company I dont recall...
I will never carry that much weight just to boil water ever again.

I've decided to ditch my heavy/clunky Jetboil burner this year and got a BRS. Planning to either run my Jetboil Aluminum pot or get a Ti pot like a Toaks. Decisions....

22ca2012c6cb035b936797e9fe5582c0.jpg
after using a ti cup last year with a BRS, I decided I liked the efficiency of a heat exchanger for long hunts. I took an angle grinder with a cutting disc and cut down my jetboil cup to the same capacity. It’s far more compact now and boils water a full minute faster than using the ti cup just sitting on top of the little BRS. The weight of this set up with a full canister of fuel inside, the cozy, lid, BRS and mini lighter and cup on the bottom is 15.7 oz.
a0118a1722170d7fdb58cba137db1361.jpg