Scarpa Kinesis Pro... but less stiff?

After 3 seasons the goretex on my Scarpa Kinesis Pro's has finally worn out. Boots finally started leaking this year and for the first time I've managed to wear the tread down extremely flat before the stitching or rand has pulled away and worn out. Fantastic construction on these boots. I've worn Hanwags and these Scarpas the last 5 years and never gotten a blister. Swore I wouldn't go away from the Scarpas as they fit my foot perfectly. However I'm wanting a less stiff sole on my next boot. I've used these on extended 3-5 day hike through trips and they flat out suck. Long over-trail hikes seems to limit the ability of my foot's natural gait and while I get zero blisters or hot spots, my feet are tired and a bit tender. Any more trips like these and I'll be buying a set of hiking shoes as I don't need much support and the freedom of movement has my feet much more happy.

Is there a boot model out there that has similar ankle support, but a less stiff sole? I'm hoping to get 2 seasons out of whatever boot I end up with. In my experience there's been a direct relationship between boot stiffness and longevity.

Has anybody experienced the Scarpa Zodiac Plus or the R-Evolution?

I'd try the Salomon Quest 4D's as that's more of the style of boot I'm looking for but Salomon doesn't fit my foot style well. Thanks in advance.

Mike

In for info as well. I have the same boots and I do like them a lot, but after many hunts this year I think they are just too stiff for me. I have experienced pretty much the same as you. I don't really get hot spots but after several miles in them i'm wore out. The waterproofing and construction are top notch, just very very stiff.

OP
HellsCanyon
Well I’ll have some good info next week. Amazon Prime “wardrobe” has 3 models coming in next week to try before I buy with a 7 day trial period.

And then I ordered a 4th on Prime cause, well, free returns.

I’ve got the Kailash plus GTX, the R-evolution GTX, the R-evolution plus GTX, and the Kailash Trek Gtx coming in. I wasn’t able to find the Zodiac plus or SL Active discounted for Cyber Monday. If none of these work illl return them and order those two as well.

Also stepping down from my previous 46EU size to the 45.5 or 11.5-12 M sizing which I hope works better. I always had just a slight extra amount of room in the toe box on my Kinesis’. I’ll be sure and keep the thread updated when I receive the boots next week.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickstone

WKR
I have Kinesis and love the fit, I love the stiffness in the hills, but was also looking for something a little less stiff for everyday wear.

The Kinesis is made with the BD last, Scarpa used to make another model with the BD last called the Zanskar, the Zanskar is supposed to have a much more flexible sole, I ordered a pair off STP last week for pretty cheap. I'll try to post what I think of them once I get them later this week.

nickstone

WKR
Well I’ll have some good info next week. Amazon Prime “wardrobe” has 3 models coming in next week to try before I buy with a 7 day trial period.

I’ve got the Kailash plus GTX, the R-evolution GTX, the R-evolution plus GTX, and the Kailash Trek Gtx coming in. I wasn’t able to find the Zodiac plus or SL Active discounted for Cyber Monday. If none of these work illl return them and order those two as well.

Also stepping down from my previous 46EU size to the 45.5 or 11.5-12 M sizing which I hope works better. I always had just a slight extra amount of room in the toe box on my Kinesis’. I’ll be sure and keep the thread updated when I receive the boots next week.

Mike

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the fit of the Kailash plus vs the Kinesis.

Gabe

FNG

Mike

All of those look great. I have the kinesis pro as well and thought the 46EU was a bit roomy, but I wanted that because my toes go numb and my feet get cold super fast. I think the Kailash Plus would be a good compromise between rugged expedition and day hunts. Let me know what you think. I haven't put the Kinesis Pros through their paces because we recently moved to Japan and I bought them after last season. I have run Asolo and Salomons before and always in search of the perfect boot.

nickstone

WKR
I got the Scarpa Zanskars last night and they less stiff than the kinesis for sure, but for me they seem a little narrower overall and I'll be sending them back

I bought both the kinesis and zodiac plus this summer. Haven’t even used the kinesis as I like the zodiac plus that much. They are a beefy trail shoe with a more supportive sole in my mind. I can carry heavy loads (for me) with no issues.

Good to know, do they offer them in a wider width?

Mike

I dont think Scarpa offers a wide width anymore. They used to with the Kailash which I bought years ago. When I looked at getting a new pair, I didn't see a wide option anymore so I contacted them. No longer offered....the BD last i was told is their "widest" fit.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
I have the opposite problem. I thought the kinesis was great when they were newer. A year on them and they just don't feel stiff enough anymore. I really notice it with a heavy pack.

OP
HellsCanyon
Received the Kailash GTX yesterday.
The width seems the same as my previous set of Kinesis Pro’s.

Initial impression is positive, I can flex the soles by hand (it takes some force) which is hard to do with the Kinesis. These have plastic liners inside metal eyelets on the laces that while effective and make tightening the laces very easy and smooth, come across and a cost cutting measure (not unexpected on a suede/cordura constructed boot). Compared to the ball bearing lace system on the Kinesis, this is my only complaint so far.

There might be a tight spot on my left heel, but hard to tell walking around the house and climbing stairs. Zero heel slippage, and my foot feels as locked in as before. Amble ankle support, I don’t think I’d have an issue packing heavy loads with this boot.

Looking forward to the Kailash plus arriving today along with a few other pairs!

OP
HellsCanyon
Got the other boots in today. Spent 12 hours in the shop and ground up 85 lbs of burger afterwards. Barely had time to pull them out of the box and give them a once over and a quick pull on. I can tell you they all fit proper, widths seem consistent, and I’m going to have a helluva time picking the winner.... more to come.

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Okay, quick info for anybody still listening/interested...

The Kailash boots are the least stiff/supportive of the three models (Kailash, R-Evolution, and Kinesis Pro). The trek model with suede leather has a more mesh type tongue material and isn't near as comfortable as the Kailash Pro all leather model. The plus model has a leather tongue similar to the Kinesis Pro, really comfortable. I'm not a huge fan of the lace system on the Kailash however. It doesn't tighten up near the toe with the initial pull of the laces. Another note for the Kailash models is the toe rand ends right about where I'd expect where on the inside ball of my foot. These are what I'd call a very well built trail boot, I'd likely wear these for long light high mileage trips in the summer, but any off trail or heavy loads I'd think I'd like a little more ankle support and think I'd wear into the toe rand quickly.

The Kailash Trek model weighs 25.7 oz per boot, size 45.5 EU (11.66 American).
The Kailash Pro leather weighs 26.4 oz per boot, size 45.5 EU

The R-Evolution is exactly what I'm looking for in the stiffness department. The sole is flexible enough to let me get a good feel for whats under my foot, and it's just tall enough to allow the lace system to really capture my ankle for good support. Perfect for me here. The Trek model has a toe rand that covers my major wear spots on the front and sides of my feet. It extends rearward about 1" more than the Kailash models.

The R-Evolution plus is the exact same as the Trek model but is 100% leather with a full rubber rand.

The R-Evolution trek weighs 26.8 oz per boot, size 12 US.
The R-Evolution Plus weighs 28.2 oz per boot, size 12 US.

I've just got to decide if I want to save $50 and run the Trek model with the suede leather construction, or go for the slightly heavier Plus model with full rand and smooth leather construction. I've never ran a suede leather boot before, and I'm curious on waterproofing it (or if it's even needed with the GTX). I don't expect more than 2-3 seasons out of a pair of boots due to the soles wearing flat and the goretex membrane eventually wearing thin and leaking no matter the construction.

Anybody have any input on suede vs full grain leather construction? These boots will see rain and snow fairly often every fall and I never have a boot dryer available where/how I hunt.

At this point I'm leaving towards the trek model, google reviews have shown zero issues with waterproofness of that particular model...

Mike

Last edited:
OP
HellsCanyon
Couple pics
1fcae55e305362b39f41a2353f2bc2c3.jpg

Different lacing styles between Kailash (left) and R-Evolution (right).
a4c8bfcc080c44f68b19ed6c49074c42.jpg

Suede leather construction with partial rubber rand.
f3799baaac06a79eff81ee969792cdea.jpg

Plus model with full rand and full grain leather.
a364c113e1f3ea7bbe8f2f8abc9b9175.jpg

Last edited:

CCH

WKR
I thought the R-Evolution Trek was suede, not nubuck leather. How much room is there in the toebox of the R-Evolution Plus?

OP
HellsCanyon
I thought the R-Evolution Trek was suede, not nubuck leather. How much room is there in the toebox of the R-Evolution Plus?

You’re correct, edited post to proper terminology.

Toe box seems identical to me across all of them and compared to my Kinesis. Plenty wide for my feet but I have slightly more narrow forefeet than average.

Mike

letrbuck

WKR
I wore out a pair of Kinesis Pros this spring (and actually replaced them with a new pair because I liked them so much) and got a pair of R evolution plus. I've been really impressed with the R-evolution. Much lighter, less stuff but still has good rigidity in the sole. Both the Kinesis and R-evolution Plus are fantastic boots. I see no reason for me to go with anything different. The R's have been my all around hiking and light trip or day hunts, and the Kinesis will be for bigger trips when I need a burlier boot

OP
HellsCanyon
I wore out a pair of Kinesis Pros this spring (and actually replaced them with a new pair because I liked them so much) and got a pair of R evolution plus. I've been really impressed with the R-evolution. Much lighter, less stuff but still has good rigidity in the sole. Both the Kinesis and R-evolution Plus are fantastic boots. I see no reason for me to go with anything different. The R's have been my all around hiking and light trip or day hunts, and the Kinesis will be for bigger trips when I need a burlier boot

Agreed.
I decided to keep the R-evolution Trek because of that blend of stiffness. I don’t anticipate getting more than 2 seasons from them so I went with the suede model instead of the plus model. I think the goretex is going to wear out before either the suede or full grain leather models. It only lasted 2 seasons in the Kinesis which is stiffer. For a sub $200 boot I don’t think I’ll find a better option for my feet. Was nice to see the sizing consistent across the models as well.

Mike