Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX

S.Clancy

WKR
I just purchased a pair of these on Tues and figured I'd do a review thread.
First Impressions:
At a price point of ~$330, there is a lot to like here. 2.4mm leather, stiff and supportive and the upper on the boot are awesome.
I've got 6 miles on them so far, 3 miles with 70-75lbs in the pack and 3 miles just hiking. Two negatives I noticed more or less immediately: really marginal insoles and bad laces, I will be replacing both. I had to try a couple different lacing techniques to get the fit dialed in, but once I did they fit very well. The boot I compare them most to that I have worn is a heavier duty version of the La Sportiva Pamir, and I LOVED the Pamir.
I have 3 day shed hunting trip this weekend, so will have more to review next Monday. It will be steep country and raining, so we'll see how they hold up.imagejpeg_0.jpg

Ram94

WKR
I’ve been wearing the Kinesis for the past 3 seasons ant love them! I put a set of Superfeet Guide insoles in them and that made a world of difference. The laces, while thin and seemingly weak have proven to be very tough. I’ve got a lot of miles on mine mostly with gaiters on and they’re still the originals with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger619

WKR
I have two pairs of these. I did replace the insoles with Lathrop and Son's insole. I love the boots. These fit my feet well enough, that I could grab a new pair and leave for a hunt without breaking them in. My first pair is not waterproof anymore, but they have quite a bit of use on them.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I have two pairs of these. I did replace the insoles with Lathrop and Son's insole. I love the boots. These fit my feet well enough, that I could grab a new pair and leave for a hunt without breaking them in. My first pair is not waterproof anymore, but they have quite a bit of use on them.

How old are the pair that aren't waterproof anymore? Have you periodically treated them with anything? Seems like everything Iv'e read about these boots has been positive and that they really hold up well over time.

I have owned Scarpa ice climbing/mountaineering boots in the past and they were incredible. Had one pair where the heel started separating from the boot shortly after I bought them and they were promptly replaced with a new pair by Scarpra under warranty. Also have a pair of Scarpa hiking shoes that I just cannot kill. I've had them for years.

Ranger619

WKR
I can't remember how old, maybe 3-4 years. I do treat them with some stuff Lathrop and Son's sold me when I bought them. They do have a bunch of miles hiking on them and everything else is good. The soles aren't worn out and the laces are still original.

Beendare

WKR
Clancy- thx.

I've been looking hard at these and asked Scarpa about them.

A couple questions;

Sacarpa says the Toebox on these [and the SL] is narrower than some other models, do they feel narrow to you?

How stiff is the sole...how much flex? [maybe use a scale of 1-5; one being a running shoe and 5 being no flex at all]

Do they feel heavy to you? Scarpa lists at 3#12oz for size 42, lighter than Low Tibets ...but heavier than their Charmoz. Did you try on Charmoz? If so how stiff a sole?

I have the Kalish size 50, I like the sole, about a 3 or 4 on a 5 scale- pretty stiff....just not quite enough ankle support for off trail.

_____

OP
S.Clancy

S.Clancy

WKR
Clancy- thx.

A couple questions;

Sacarpa says the Toebox on these [and the SL] is narrower than some other models, do they feel narrow to you?

How stiff is the sole...how much flex? [maybe use a scale of 1-5; one being a running shoe and 5 being no flex at all]

Do they feel heavy to you? Scarpa lists at 3#12oz for size 42, lighter than Low Tibets ...but heavier than their Charmoz. Did you try on Charmoz? If so how stiff a sole?

I have the Kalish size 50, I like the sole, about a 3 or 4 on a 5 scale- pretty stiff....just not quite enough ankle support for off trail.

_____
I just got back, got 22 miles and ~7000 ft of elevation on them Friday and Saturday combined, all off trail, lots of straight up, straight down and sidehill.

I would call the toebox moderate, narrower than Meindls but wider than my Kayland mountaineering boots.

I would give the stiffness a 4-4.5. Real stiff, but not like my mountaineering boots.

My boots are sz 44, and they weigh exactly 4lbs together. I've owned scarpa shoes before, so I knew which sz to buy, but I think Scarpa recommends sizing up.

The ankle support is very good and I was able to adjust the lacing almost perfect. It also rained most of the day Saturday and my feet were the only dry feet in the group.

If these are really for sale at ~$250 I would go for it.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
My absolute favorite boot. Wore them up in the mountains today. Really my go to for spring and fall. Keep them oiled, pair with gaiters if its going to be wet, never leaked on me.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Mine just arrived today.

I've been wearing Scarpa boots and shoes for about 20 years. My first pair of Scarpa were the Freney, which was a mountaineering/ice climbing boot. Best mountaineering boots I had ever worn, and since then I've owned Scarpa boots and a pair of approach/hiking shoes and all of them have been very durable and great quality. The Kinesis seem to be made just as well. I have a average to narrow and low volume foot, so a lot of boots leave me with heel slip and/or loose despite cranking down the laces. Scarpa have always fit me really well.

I was a bit worried that the Kinesis would be a bit too much or overkill. They might be, but at the same time they're not necessarily over the top. If you're going to be on steep and/or rock terrain they should be just fine, and even more appropriate if you're carrying a heavy pack or packing out a heavy pack if you're packing out game. I think that's where they'll shine. With that said they're very stiff in the lower portion but the ankle is pretty supple and comfortable while still providing decent ankle support, but a bit less than some other burly hiking boots. If you're looking for really, really stiff ankle support you may not be satisfied with these boots, but this may also be one of the reasons these boots walk so well.

They are stiff but they do flex a little and they have a build in rocker that seems to propel your foot forward so they feel a lot less clunky than the look like they would be. They're also VERY comfortable and although they're heavy compared to lighter weight hiking books, they dont really feel that heavy on the feet and the lacing system is great. Very easy to dial in the lacing and get different tensions between the forefoot and uppers because the laces lock on the eyelets that separate the forefoot from the upper.

These are basically a burly, bombproof boot that are way more comfortable than they look and walk a lot nicer than you'd expect by looking at them. If you're someone who does a lot of gnarly backpacking and carry a heavy pack these are great. A bit overkill for the casual or lightweight hiker unless you prefer a stiffer boot. I can only imagine these being a great big game hunting boot, esepcaiily for those who find themselves in step and rocky terrain.

Got mine on sale from Backcountry.com for $246.71.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Sale on the Scarpa site....I picked up pair of these in 49 to give em a shot.

None of the online folks I looked at carried the larger sizes...all boots at the Scarpa site on sale direct from them.

Jeremy11

FNG
Sale on the Scarpa site....I picked up pair of these in 49 to give em a shot.

None of the online folks I looked at carried the larger sizes...all boots at the Scarpa site on sale direct from them.
I recently bought a pair of unseen, Chamoz for an ID hunt that I probably can't do now due to C19.( A bow too! )
I bought them after a lot of research and was hoping that there'd be few wearing-in problems. Only size 46...shit you have big feet!

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Clancy- thx.

A couple questions;

_____

They don't feel super narrow to me, but I have an average width foot I guess. I have read comments where people not that the toe box is roomy and a bit wider than your typical Scarpa.

The soles are VERY stiff. You can flex them just a little by hand, and they do flex a little bit more when you're wearing them, but they are a VERY stiff boot, especially when comparing them to other backpacking boots. If they had crampon welts they're stiff enough to be a basic mountaineering boot that would work well with flexible crampons. They do have a bit of a rocker that almost propels your foot when you're walking to sort of help out with how stiff they are. For my feet they are vey comfortable and walk great.

Technically they're heavy when compared to other boots, but on my feet they don't feel that heavy.

If you want or are used to a stiff, supportive backpacking boot I cant see you going wrong getting a pair of these. If you're not used to a heavy duty, stiff boot that offers a lot of support you may be in for an unhappy surprise.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Still haven't had these out on a trail yet, but have been wearing them around the house for quite a while now (hoping to get out on a hike this weekend).

Just wearing them around the house they've started to flex a little more. They're VERY comfortable boots and I could probably hike and wear these all day on the trail. They're probably a little bit overkill for most of the hikes and trips I do, but really, these are crazy comfortable and supportive. These may turn into my go-to hiking boot for most things, even day hikes despite them being more than I realistically need.

My boots just came in. They are super comfortable out of the box, I've also installed the SuperFeet guide insole per other member's suggestions. No complaints from me!

Last edited:

nickstone

WKR
Theses are some of my favorite scarpa boots. I have 2 pair of Kinesis. I think theses are fairly wide in the toe. The BD last is one of the wider ones. I wear a 46 in them. I also wear that size in scarpa zodiac

For reference, I wear an 11w in Kenetrek, I tried the Scarpa r evos in a 47 and they were too tight in the toe

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Theses are some of my favorite scarpa boots. I have 2 pair of Kinesis. I think theses are fairly wide in the toe. The BD last is one of the wider ones. I wear a 46 in them. I also wear that size in scarpa zodiac

For reference, I wear an 11w in Kenetrek, I tried the Scarpa r evos in a 47 and they were too tight in the toe

what size street shoe do you wear and what size are your Kinesis?