Scarpa lovers: new Ribelle Lite HD and Mescalito TRK

Heads up to any folks who's feet really fit Scarpa well, they're releasing these two new boots this spring

Just off the phone with Scarpa who said that Mescalito TRK should be a little stiffer than the Zodiac Plus. The full rand would be nice and listed about 4oz heavier per boot than the Plus.

I really like the now discontinued Mescalito low approach shoe, enough that I had it resoled with a beefier vibram sole, so am curious how this turns out. Thinking it might be an intermediate step between the Plus and the Ribelle HD, both of which I really like.

The Ribelle HD already seemed light compared to Tibets/etc. so am very curious of this one.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
My Zodiac's fell apart in less than 15 days, so I have been slightly tainted by that experience with Scarpa's lighter-duty boots. That being said, the Ribelle Lite is a very intriguing option. If I can find them local somewhere I might give them a try as they look comparable to the Crispi Colorado, which is my current favourite mountain hunting boot.

OP
L
My Zodiac's fell apart in less than 15 days, so I have been slightly tainted by that experience with Scarpa's lighter-duty boots. That being said, the Ribelle Lite is a very intriguing option. If I can find them local somewhere I might give them a try as they look comparable to the Crispi Colorado, which is my current favourite mountain hunting boot.
I had heard about a handful of those. When did yours happen? Not sure if they got a bad batch of something. Thankfully mine have been very solid.

ljalberta

WKR
I got mine a few years back. After it happened to mine, I found out it was quite a common issue with that model. Maybe they have improved since.

S.Clancy

WKR
Ugh, just take my money Scarpa. I have a worn out pair of the original Mecalito Mids, so I will def be purchasing a pair of the new GTX.

kjw

WKR
I’d love to try those rib Elle’s but after 2 pairs of leaking charmoz, I’m weary of the HD waterproofing. I know if works cause I have other items with it but as far as feet go I would have had dryer feet wearing crocs. The mescalito GTX could be awesome

OP
L
Well, look what just arrived ! Scarpa has some Mescalito Trk Gtx in stock direct. I haven't gotten any miles in yet, so just some initial impressions.

First thing I did was compare the stiffness profile with the Zodiac Plus, which was interesting. The Mescalito Trk flexes in a different spot than the Zodiac Plus. The Ribelle HD is in a different league of stiffness so not really worth comparing.

The Mescalito Trk has it's flex more forward at about where the toes flex.

The Zodiac Plus has it's flex further back, a little rearward of the balls of the feet.

The soles of the Zodiac Plus are notably thin which I enjoy combined with its light weight, to get a good feel of the ground, but was interested in something to provide a little more comfort for longer mileage days. We will see how the Mescalito Trk feels on the mountains hopefully this week.

IMG_4496.jpegIMG_4495.jpeg

OP
L
@lifeisgoodsteve How is fit/width on those Mescalito's? They seem like they'd be great early-to-mid season boots, I'm really interested in picking some up to replace my Kinesis Pro's.
They feel very good so far. I've been playing around with different insoles and mostly been wearing them around the property, putting up fence, cleaning ditches and just a few miles of hiking so far.

Comfort & Fit - Significantly more sole material and "cushion" than the Zodiac Plus. I've never worn the Kinesis Pro's to compare. Fit is similar to my Zodiac Plus and Ribelle HD

Sidehilling - just doing it on small hills on my property but it feels pretty good so far, but depends on one's preference. Heck, some people are fine sidehilling in trail runners. For me, sidehilling in the Mescalito low top approach shoes on crumbling dirt/rock was not my ideal, so I'm feeling pretty good I can wear these from Spring through archery elk.

Stability - not scientific, but there have been a few times just walking in uneven pasture where my ankle turned a little. Wasn't enough to feel any pain but does make me look forward to more off trail testing to see if it was just because I wasn't paying attention to footsteps or shoe design or my ankles got "soft" without much winter exercise.

Durability - I'm liking having the full rand vs the Zodiac Plus as I prefer boots that can be resoled with the uppers lasting a long time.

If you get them, curious to hear your experiences.

andydwyer

WKR
If anyone is looking for some in size 11 let me know. I'm selling a pair with less than a mile on them. I need a 10.5 😵‍💫

OP
L
If anyone is looking for some in size 11 let me know. I'm selling a pair with less than a mile on them. I need a 10.5 😵‍💫

Andy, did you ever get the 10.5's and try them out?

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my first pair of Scarpas today and they are the Crux Approach shoes. Kinda narrow fit but will break in well. I was surprised when I saw they were made in China! I guess they offer less expensive options. Nice shoes though. We'll see.

JStol5

WKR
@lifeisgoodsteve, what size did you get your Zodiac Plus and the Mountain Trek's compared to a normal sneaker? I went up 1/2 a size from my normal sneaker (12 to a 12.5) in the zodiacs and still get a touch of toe contact on steep downhills or under heavy loads... I'm afraid to go up more in that my whole foot will be sliding around. I know there isn't a perfect fit but I figured I'd ask...