Scarpa manta tech

wildcat33

WKR
I was in the market for a mid insulation mtn boot and these caught my eye. I had really good luck with the lightweight kailash plus last year, and am in need of something a little heavier duty so ordered a pair today to try out.

Anyone else tried these? Experiences good or bad?

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Boots came in. I normally wear 11 and ordered 45 and 45.5. True to scarpa they run narrow and 45.5 fits a bit better.

The pair weighs in at 4lbs-8oz

They feel pretty slim for having 200gr of insulation. Very much a mountaineering boot design with a rocker sole and semi-auto crampon heel insert. Accordingly stiff. Heel has a nice pocket that holds your heel in with not too much lace pressure. I think these are going to be really good rifle season boots for intermediate conditions. Looking forward to putting some miles on them.

slowelk

WKR
Boots came in. I normally wear 11 and ordered 45 and 45.5. True to scarpa they run narrow and 45.5 fits a bit better.

The pair weighs in at 4lbs-8oz

They feel pretty slim for having 200gr of insulation. Very much a mountaineering boot design with a rocker sole and semi-auto crampon heel insert. Accordingly stiff. Heel has a nice pocket that holds your heel in with not too much lace pressure. I think these are going to be really good rifle season boots for intermediate conditions. Looking forward to putting some miles on them.

My thoughts are similar to yours. I used these during lion season here in MT and they were comfortable right away which is rare for such a stiff boot. If I had a full season on them, I'd be inclined to buy a second pair to keep as a backup, but I haven't used them quite enough to commit to another pair just yet. I like having redundancy in my gear with things I like.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I bought these myself this spring for a high altitude mountain hunt. I am a size 9 and they were true to size, but man did they hurt my feet after about 30 minutes indoors. They weighed about 4 pounds on my scale (smaller size than yours). I did like the boot and would recommend it to someone with a normal to narrow width foot. My foot is an EE width and although they did not feel tight (they actually felt very comfortable at first) I assume that had much to do with my foot pain. Great boot, nice stiff sole, but even custom orthodits were no good for my feet in these so sadly I returned them to scarpa.

I have worn them down to below zero. I obviously stay moving in those temps. They’re the best mix of comfortable vs rigid out of many Scarpas that I’ve had over the last 15 years. Less rigid than the Mt Blancs and the Grand Dru, but a lot more boot than the Kinesis, Zodiac Tech, etc. If you’re used to a rigid mountaineering boot, you could basically wear these out of the box. I’m in NW MT and they were my primary boot from hunting season through the winter moose/deer shed hunting season. Switched to Grand Dru later in February as things warmed up.

I have worn them down to below zero. I obviously stay moving in those temps. They’re the best mix of comfortable vs rigid out of many Scarpas that I’ve had over the last 15 years. Less rigid than the Mt Blancs and the Grand Dru, but a lot more boot than the Kinesis, Zodiac Tech, etc. If you’re used to a rigid mountaineering boot, you could basically wear these out of the box. I’m in NW MT and they were my primary boot from hunting season through the winter moose/deer shed hunting season. Switched to Grand Dru later in February as things warmed up.
Have you tried the Ribelle HD at all? I am curious how the Manta Techs fit and compare to them.

Have you tried the Ribelle HD at all? I am curious how the Manta Techs fit and compare to them.
I have not tried them. Ribelles will be more of a technical boot and the leather is thinner. I assume they’re basically a beefier version of the Zodiac Tech. I would also assume that the leather will wear faster than the Manta and that they’d not be as warm. The Mantas are more of a general mountaineering boot.

TURNER208

FNG
Do you think the 200 g insulation would be too much for September hunts? Looking at those as a general all season boot for September through November.

Do you think the 200 g insulation would be too much for September hunts? Looking at those as a general all season boot for September through November.
I’ve worn mine when it’s been below zero and I was glad I had them. So when it’s warm, high pressure days in MT in late-September to early-October, they’ve never bothered me as far as being “too much”. But if you’re in S ID in the 80s and you’re in the sage… that might be a little different. Both my boys have been wearing there’s from hunting season, through the winter, up to this last weekend horn hunting.

For non-insulated, the Grand Dru is nice. It’s more ridged and simply more boot than the Manta. Even though it’s non-insulated, you can wear them below freezing. I wouldn’t be wearing them when it’s really cold in November though.

@InkedElkSlayer thanks for your input. Also been thinking about pairing those with the Scarpa ribelle lite hd for a good summer/early boot and later boot combo.
Yeah, they have plenty of early season options that are good.
Here is another thought for cold weather… later MT elk/deer season, horn hunting all winter, snowshoeing, etc. I was wanting to try their hybrid boot, the Phantom Tech, for a long, long time. My oldest got into ice climbing this year and bought them. Our feet are identical size. Damn, they are a nice, super light boot that is well insulated. He got them on close out for 40% off, which was cheaper than the pro deal.