Scarpa R-Evo

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, no miles on them yet.

Normal size is US 11 so originally ordered 11.5(45) they fit but were a little narrow. Sent them back and got a 12(46) and they fit great. This makes sense to me as all the shoes I have that are size 11 are anywhere from 45-45.5 EU size. Anyway Sock-Fit is not joke, the inside really does feel like you have a nice thick wool sock surrounding your foot. I was looking for a early season boot and tried:

Zamberlan Storm Pro GTX
Zamberlan 966 Saguaro
Kenetrek Hardscrabble
Crispi Colorado
Crispi Dakota
Crispi Neveda
Crispi Thor II
Crispi Summit
Crispi Valdres
Crispi Briksdal
Scarpa Ribelle HD

Kenetrek were the most uncomfortable by a long shot, never had foot pain from a boot before from just sitting at my desk. They probably break in but I just didn't like them enough to give them a fair shake.

Only Crispi that I liked were the Briksdal and Neveda, but Neveda was too soft and Briksdal were like ovens on my feet. The rest were just so uncomfortable out of the box.

Both Zamberlan were really nice, almost ended up with the Storm Pro but didn't want a boot that tall. Highly suggest ordering and trying on a pair to anyone else.

Also really liked the Scarpa Ribelle HD but closet to my size I could find on sale was 44.5 which I tried on and they were a bit too narrow.

In the end really happy with the Kuiu Scarpa but the true test will come this spring.

80A2FE84-405C-4D22-95BA-4FB800576E8B.jpeg

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR

Normal size is US 11 so originally ordered 11.5(45) they fit but were a little narrow. Sent them back and got a 12(46) and they fit great. This makes sense to me as all the shoes I have that are size 11 are anywhere from 45-45.5 EU size. Anyway Sock-Fit is not joke, the inside really does feel like you have a nice thick wool sock surrounding your foot. I was looking for a early season boot and tried:

Zamberlan Storm Pro GTX
Zamberlan 966 Saguaro
Kenetrek Hardscrabble
Crispi Colorado
Crispi Dakota
Crispi Neveda
Crispi Thor II
Crispi Summit
Crispi Valdres
Crispi Briksdal
Scarpa Ribelle HD

Kenetrek were the most uncomfortable by a long shot, never had foot pain from a boot before from just sitting at my desk. They probably break in but I just didn't like them enough to give them a fare shake.

Only Crispi that I liked were the Briksdal and Neveda, but Neveda was too soft and Briksdal were like ovens on my feet. The rest were just so uncomfortable out of the box.

Both Zamberlan were really nice, almost ended up with the Storm Pro but didn't want a boot that tall. Highly suggest ordering and trying on a pair to anyone else.

Also really liked the Scarpa Ribelle HD but closet to my size I could find on sale was 44.5 which I tried on and they were a bit too narrow.

In the end really happy with the Kuiu Scarpa but the true test will come this spring.

View attachment 247257
Holy boot purchases batman!
Those boots like identical to the charmoz...but the scarpa website says its not a mountaineering boot, but a hiker? At least the old version was?

How did these feel compared to the Briksdal in stiffness? I just resigned my Briksdals to walking the dogs on the neighborhood trails in the winter. I wore them for 2 summer and 2 falls, and agree, they are too warm for Sept.

I just ordered some scarpa zodiak techs, but was curious about the non-kuiu version of this boot as well. I think the zodiak tech will fit the bill for stiffness, but we'll see.

Following.

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah it helps that Black Ovis, Backcountry, Sportsmans Warehouse, Scheels and Campsaver are all local, makes buying online and returning to store very easy.

I tried the normal Briksdal not the SF, I would say the Briksdal has a little more annkle support and the Kuiu has a stiffer sole. The Kuiu are the same as the older R-Evo Trek but the Kuiu has HDry not Goretex. I think the R-Evo Trek was orginally a EU model only that Kuiu brought in.

I would imagine with the Charmoz being crampon compatible would have an even stiffer sole?

If you can nail down your sizing for Scarpa Kuiu has the older Rebel on clearance for $299, I'm tempted to snag a pair of those as well.

Forgot to mention I also tried the Meindl Comfort Fit Hiker, loved that boot but it didn't work well with my skinny ankles. Just couldn't get them laced in a way to provide any support in the ankle.

wildcat33

WKR

Zamberlan Storm Pro GTX
Zamberlan 966 Saguaro
Kenetrek Hardscrabble
Crispi Colorado
Crispi Dakota
Crispi Neveda
Crispi Thor II
Crispi Summit
Crispi Valdres
Crispi Briksdal
Scarpa Ribelle HD

Kenetrek were the most uncomfortable by a long shot, never had foot pain from a boot before from just sitting at my desk. They probably break in but I just didn't like them enough to give them a fair shake.

View attachment 247257
What the sole flex like on these? Bendable in the hand or pretty rigid?

TheCoyote

FNG
How does the HDry work after all your use? I'll admit, it is hard for me to get off the GoreTex band wagon.

Looking for a update on these boots strongly considering them after having crispi boots fall apart quickly. Need a 40°+ boot and think these might be it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
I've only been wearing mine around the neighborhood walking the dogs. All I can report is that they are comfortable out of the box. Won't have any real trail use on them until snowboarding season is over.

Looking for updated reviews on these because my current boots are end of life. I have some Meindl Vacuum hunters, but they're too hot for archery elk, as I found out last season in WY. They're good in late season, but I prefer something lighter and something that breathes better, yet still has good side-hilling capabilities. I'm coming from Asolos that have been really good for about four years (Idaho, NM, MT, MT, and TN foothills/mts).

I've only been wearing mine around the neighborhood walking the dogs. All I can report is that they are comfortable out of the box. Won't have any real trail use on them until snowboarding season is over.
Still like these boots?

Aaron W

Lil-Rokslider
To respond to isItFallYet:

I have these boots. I don't remember exactly when I purchased them but I used them on winter hikes this year and they were pretty nice. I'm guessing that I got them 6 months ago. I went scouting with a friend this past weekend and was bitching that the bottom of my feet hurt...then I realized that I didn't have insoles in them.

It's funny that you mention "too hot for archery elk" because that is my main complaint with them. They are very warm boots for me. I do not recall ever having a hiker this warm.

Other than that, I think that they are a really nice all-around boot. The eyelets seem to eat laces because both of mine have ripped. I simply tied knots in the old laces but will be replacing them soon. If it happens again I will have to figure out what the problem is.

I have worn a lot of Asolos myself and these boots fit similar in the heel for me but definitely have more volume in the mid foot and the toe box. I like the extra room in the toe box, the extra room in the mid foot not so much.

They do appear to be a durable boot. The full rubber rand is nice if you are going above treeline. I do think that they would be the right stiffness for archery elk. I've hiked a handful of "14ers" with them over the past 6 months.

Those are my observations. I wish they were perfect for everything but they are not. That's just the way it goes and which is why we all have so many damn boots.

To respond to isItFallYet:

I have these boots. I don't remember exactly when I purchased them but I used them on winter hikes this year and they were pretty nice. I'm guessing that I got them 6 months ago. I went scouting with a friend this past weekend and was bitching that the bottom of my feet hurt...then I realized that I didn't have insoles in them.

It's funny that you mention "too hot for archery elk" because that is my main complaint with them. They are very warm boots for me. I do not recall ever having a hiker this warm.

Other than that, I think that they are a really nice all-around boot. The eyelets seem to eat laces because both of mine have ripped. I simply tied knots in the old laces but will be replacing them soon. If it happens again I will have to figure out what the problem is.

I have worn a lot of Asolos myself and these boots fit similar in the heel for me but definitely have more volume in the mid foot and the toe box. I like the extra room in the toe box, the extra room in the mid foot not so much.

They do appear to be a durable boot. The full rubber rand is nice if you are going above treeline. I do think that they would be the right stiffness for archery elk. I've hiked a handful of "14ers" with them over the past 6 months.

Those are my observations. I wish they were perfect for everything but they are not. That's just the way it goes and which is why we all have so many damn boots.

Thanks for your response. I ended up ordering them earlier and will try them out myself. Hopefully they’re not as hot as my other boots.

I have the non KUIU version. I have lots of day hikes on them and a full week in the backcountry covering 10 or more miles each day, so over 70 miles in that one week alone, of constant use. The conditions varied from dry warm to heavy rain and hail. I do not have a single comaint. I highly recommend them.

daisy024

FNG
My husband bought the Kuiu Scarpa R-Evolution K 8 HD in February. He loves them aside from the fact that they started leaking profusely on day 1 of our Alaskan caribou hunt. Thank goodness for camp shoes to let his feet dry a bit in the evenings.