Scarpa recommendations??

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Quick explanation and more detail below for those who want to read on:
-Looking for a do-it-all East to West boot
-Scarpa perfected as I can get good rates on them
-I live in the east but am getting into western trips

I’m looking to get a new boot in the future. It will be my first high end boot and a website I’m a member of gives me great deals on Scarpas so I’m leaning that way. (They also carry some other big brands but mostly in the hiking/mountain world not hunting). So with Scarpa in mind, anyone have a sort of do-it-all recommendation? I’m eying the Wrangell but I know it’s fairly stiff. I live in the east but am getting into western hunts and have a Colorado vacation planned with a lot of hiking in June. So anything I get will likely be overkill for home, which is fine. I want something that is going to keep me safe and going for miles in the west, and last for years while using it for easy stuff at home.

Lowg08

WKR
I have the scarpa ZG lite. I do like them but a full scouting/hunting season in them has showed me a few flaws at least for me. They are rather narrow. So if you don’t have a narrow foot. They could be uncomfortable. Also. I have a really hard time with rock and slick logs. They feel too stiff for me. Outside of that. I have only wet them out once and they do not hurt feet. They are a touch narrow for me. Good all around boot just those two areas are the only things I have bad to say about it. Not great for stalking pretty stiff.

Spoonman

WKR
Ribella hd and Kenesis pro gtx are both great boots. The Wrangell is a lot of boot and kinda heavy. It also does not have a full rand which is a no go for me. But if you are looking for a big boot like the wrangell I’m sure it’ll be fine.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Ribella hd and Kenesis pro gtx are both great boots. The Wrangell is a lot of boot and kinda heavy. It also does not have a full rand which is a no go for me. But if you are looking for a big boot like the wrangell I’m sure it’ll be fine.
One of the things I like about the wrangell is the height. It seems a bit taller than most of scarpas options. I like a higher boot to keep air out and add support. I also rarely wear insualted boots as my feet like to sweat, so with higher boots I just add thicker socks and am good to go. I’ll take a look at those others for sure though. Shamefully there aren’t many high end boot sellers in my area so I’m extremely limited on what I can go try on.

Northpark

WKR
Scarpas tend to be very stiff which for me is a no go. Boots are tough as everyone needs something a little different. Don’t skimp on boots or go with one brand just cause you can get a deal on them. I tried scarpas for the same reason because I could get a pro deal and they qualified as fire boots but my feet were too wide and the stiff boot resulted in my heels looking like the lathrop and sons add on here.

If scarpas work for you just know they will be a bit overkill for the Eastern whitetail woods.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Scarpas tend to be very stiff which for me is a no go. Boots are tough as everyone needs something a little different. Don’t skimp on boots or go with one brand just cause you can get a deal on them. I tried scarpas for the same reason because I could get a pro deal and they qualified as fire boots but my feet were too wide and the stiff boot resulted in my heels looking like the lathrop and sons add on here.

If scarpas work for you just know they will be a bit overkill for the Eastern whitetail woods.
Thanks for the help. Shamefully I have almost nothing to try on locally. Everyone here wears Rockies or Irish setters. No one is buying quality boots. I’m sure most of what I want will be overkill here at home but that’s better than under kill when I get out west I figure.

I have the used the Scarpa Fuego boots for the past five years, putting close to 500 miles on them each year. Other than a new set of boot laces they have held up fine. They were stiffer than any other boot I’d previously owned and it took a good 75 miles for them to start to feel broken. I bought them when I lived in Kansas and broke them in before I moved to Colorado. If you order them in your european size they should fit better. Like it has been said before, they are narrow boots so that can jack your feet up it your foot is wider.

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
One of the things I like about the wrangell is the height. It seems a bit taller than most of scarpas options. I like a higher boot to keep air out and add support. I also rarely wear insualted boots as my feet like to sweat, so with higher boots I just add thicker socks and am good to go.

This. Love my wrangels and I hunt/hike/snowshoe all year in mine. Add extra socks in the winter and you're good to go. I will keep wearing wrangles until they stop making them.

S.Clancy

WKR
Scarpa Kinesis GTX is prob what you are looking for. Leather, not super stiff, rubber rand, pretty bullet proof boot. The Ribelle HD is really stiff, good on steep slopes, but eoujd suck in woods country. A lot of the other choices, Zodiac, Charmoz, etc are geared towards mountaineering also, prob more than you need. Go the the Kinesis, you wont be dissatisfied

nphunter

WKR
I love my Grand Dru’s, they are good for me for pretty much anything but driving. Very stiff shank but flexible upper and good lacing system. I’ll be buying another set.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I have the used the Scarpa Fuego boots for the past five years, putting close to 500 miles on them each year. Other than a new set of boot laces they have held up fine. They were stiffer than any other boot I’d previously owned and it took a good 75 miles for them to start to feel broken. I bought them when I lived in Kansas and broke them in before I moved to Colorado. If you order them in your european size they should fit better. Like it has been said before, they are narrow boots so that can jack your feet up it your foot is wider.
So I ordered a pair to try them and see what I thought. They are for sure stiff. Plan to wear them in the house a few days and make a decision

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
This. Love my wrangels and I hunt/hike/snowshoe all year in mine. Add extra socks in the winter and you're good to go. I will keep wearing wrangles until they stop making them.
Glad to see I’m not crazy for wanting to try this boot. They showed up today. Stiffer than any boot I’ve owned by a long shot. Going to try them a few days in the house and see if it’s going to work out.

wildcat33

WKR
Kailash plus is a good boot. Sizing is way small but they are light and have enough flex that you can get around quietly. Super stiff soles are totally unnecessary for most of my hunting.

So I ordered a pair to try them and see what I thought. They are for sure stiff. Plan to wear them in the house a few days and make a decision
It’ll take some time to break them in, I think it was around 70-75 miles I felt like they were finally broke in. Remember, they are mountaineering boots, not traditional hiking boots. I would recommend only walking in them for a couple of miles for the first couple of weeks, or they may punish your feet.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
It’ll take some time to break them in, I think it was around 70-75 miles I felt like they were finally broke in. Remember, they are mountaineering boots, not traditional hiking boots. I would recommend only walking in them for a couple of miles for the first couple of weeks, or they may punish your feet.
Thanks! Think I’ve already decided to keep them. I think they’ll fit my needs well

Ttodler21

FNG
Are the Fuegos somewhat water proof? I live in Washington and can’t decide
Between these or the wrangells. I don’t have a cold feet
Problem I just need them to hold
Up in the rain. They seem like basically the same boot but one has a gortex
Lining and the fuego doesn’t. Opinion?