Scarpa Ribelle HD - First Impressions

OP
L
I put on 15.1 miles and 4000’ of elevation a couple weeks ago In my Ribella’s and I’m still just as happy. I’m going on another 15+ mile trip tomorrow and I know they’ll be great. I have not had any issues with my Zodiac’s yet and they have a lot of miles on them. I’ve owned a lot of boots with goretex and they all have leaked at some point sooner rather than later. My Ribella’s are still water tight.

Thanks for the experience as you've put some good miles and elevation on by now. Have you noticed any difference as they've gotten more broken in?

Spoonman

WKR
Thanks for the experience as you've put some good miles and elevation on by now. Have you noticed any difference as they've gotten more broken in?

They feel pretty much the same. Maybe not quite as stiff? That’s purely only a guess as maybe they just are broken in a bit and feel good? Did another 14 miles this last weekend with minimal elevation gain but felt great once again.

Ribelle's arrived tonight; based on the above discussion I ordered a 43.5 (I have a 43 in the Zodiac Plus); both boots seem to fit me perfectly.

I'll get to put them through their paces this weekend, but right off the bat, they are much stiffer and with much more ankle support. I did my best to put the same amount of pressure on the boots in the photos; easy to bend the Zodiacs, but couldn't get the Ribelle's to budge with one hand.

I'll give more thoughts later.

FWIW, the 43.5 weighs in at 744.5g on my kitchen scale.

Attachments

• IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 57

Braaap

WKR
Ribelle's arrived tonight; based on the above discussion I ordered a 43.5 (I have a 43 in the Zodiac Plus); both boots seem to fit me perfectly.

I'll get to put them through their paces this weekend, but right off the bat, they are much stiffer and with much more ankle support. I did my best to put the same amount of pressure on the boots in the photos; easy to bend the Zodiacs, but couldn't get the Ribelle's to budge with one hand.

I'll give more thoughts later.

FWIW, the 43.5 weighs in at 744.5g on my kitchen scale.
I’m really curious to hear how you like them. I bought the zodiac plus gtx last summer and hunted in them last season. Great boots and I’m very happy with them but at times wished for more ankle support. If the Ribelle proves easy to walk in then I think I’ll have to give them a try as well.

Spoonman

WKR
I’m really curious to hear how you like them. I bought the zodiac plus gtx last summer and hunted in them last season. Great boots and I’m very happy with them but at times wished for more ankle support. If the Ribelle proves easy to walk in then I think I’ll have to give them a try as well.

I own both as mentioned above and they are definitely 2 different types of boots. That being said the Ribella’s have a rolled toe/front foot area that make them easier to walk in compared to other Scarpa hiking/mountaineering boots in the same class.

Braaap

WKR
I own both as mentioned above and they are definitely 2 different types of boots. That being said the Ribella’s have a rolled toe/front foot area that make them easier to walk in compared to other Scarpa hiking/mountaineering boots in the same class.
My bad, I must have missed your description of the two boots earlier. I have a pair of Scarpa Fuego boots for work and have worn them on several hunts. They are much stiffer and heavier than my zodiac plus boots. I like them but I’m not crazy about them. Great fit and quality but heavy. I’ll have to compare the weight of the Fuego and Ribelle.

Spoonman

WKR
My bad, I must have missed your description of the two boots earlier. I have a pair of Scarpa Fuego boots for work and have worn them on several hunts. They are much stiffer and heavier than my zodiac plus boots. I like them but I’m not crazy about them. Great fit and quality but heavy. I’ll have to compare the weight of the Fuego and Ribelle.
No biggie. The Fuego are considerably heavier. 1028g I think compared to 690g on the Ribellas. The Zodiacs are 545g. Those are all size 42 so if you have larger feet obviously the weight will be a bit more.

Braaap

WKR
The Ribelle sounds even better now. I didn’t realize the Fuego was so much heavier. I figured the Ribelle would be heavier than they are if they’re so much stiffer than the zodiac plus.

nickstone

WKR
I wear a 46 in Scarpa Zodiac and Kinesis, I usually need a fairly wide toebox and those sizes seem to work best for me.
I tried to wear a 47 in the r Evo trek kuiu scarpas and they were just too narrow.

What size would you guys suggest I try in Riebelle?

I wear a 46 in Scarpa Zodiac and Kinesis, I usually need a fairly wide toebox and those sizes seem to work best for me.
I tried to wear a 47 in the r Evo trek kuiu scarpas and they were just too narrow.

What size would you guys suggest I try in Riebelle?
It's so hard to know the intricacies of how one foot vs another will fit into a boot. Best I can tell you is that I have the Zodiac Plus in 43 and the Ribelle in 43.5, and the fit feels almost identical. The overall feel of the Ribelle is a little roomier (which was my goal as I want to use these with thick socks) but the length and how my toes interact with the toebox seems almost exactly the same. I'm very happy with how both boots fit.

As always, I recommend buying from a vendor that will make it easy to swap sizes if necessary.

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
Just chiming in on this thread, I had my local outdoor shop order a pair of these Rebelle HD's in for me this last week. Hoping they fit on the first go after getting sized. I had a friend recommend these to me along with hearing the great news on these from you guys. I sure hope these last longer than the last 3 pairs of my Crispi's and Kenetrek's.

Spoonman

WKR
Just chiming in on this thread, I had my local outdoor shop order a pair of these Rebelle HD's in for me this last week. Hoping they fit on the first go after getting sized. I had a friend recommend these to me along with hearing the great news on these from you guys. I sure hope these last longer than the last 3 pairs of my Crispi's and Kenetrek's.

They will absolutely last longer. Ive never had a pair of Crispi’s last longer than 10months.

Put ~20 miles and +/- 2500ft elevation behind me this past weekend in the Ribelles in the Goat Rocks Wilderness. Mostly a well-graded trail but we did play around in the steep snow higher up, including a climb up a 45° gully.

I found the boots a bit stiff and clunky on the trail, but for such stiff boots they were surprisingly comfortable. By mile 12 or so, I was starting to wish for my Zodiacs, but certainly had no major foot or joint pain, no blisters or hot spots, etc. The hike to camp the evening before was about 6.5 miles, and over that distance I could hardly tell a difference in overall comfort between my Zodiacs and the Ribelles. Simply put, they're STIFF, but given the stiffness they're exceptionally comfortable.

Once we hit the snow, the Ribelles handled like a dream. Kicking steps in the Ribelles was WAY easier than it has been in my Zodiacs, which themselves are no slouches in the snow. We didn't encounter any opportunities for real toe-pointing in crampons, but I did wear my crampons for a couple miles and played around on the steepest snow slopes I could find. They're obviously not dedicated ice-climbing boots, but for the stretches of toe-pointing I expect to encounter in general alpine mountaineering, I think they'll do fabulously.

Happy so far! And the 43.5 was the perfect choice. I've got a glacier climb scheduled for the end of the month; I'll check back in with a report afterwards!

kipper09

WKR
I’m going to order these and sizing is a concern. I wear a 10 1/2 in a lowa Tibet. And an 11 in a hanwag alaska. I’m thinking about going with a 11/44.5 euro. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoonman

WKR
I’m going to order these and sizing is a concern. I wear a 10 1/2 in a lowa Tibet. And an 11 in a hanwag alaska. I’m thinking about going with a 11/44.5 euro. What do you all think?

I pretty much wear a size 11(44-44.5) in everything but the Scarpa Ribella fit best in a 45. If you have a REI close by go try them on then order somewhere cheaper. Amazon has them for $285 I think.

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this back to the top as I am looking to pick up a new pair of boots. Looking for a little help on sizing. A 12 in the Crispi Colorado is money and I wore a Charmoz OD In 47 EU and that was a solid fit. Slight movement in the heel and just a tad narrow but length seemed really good.

Anyone have a comparison of the Ribelle vs the Charmoz OD?

Thanks

kipper09

WKR
Bringing this back to the top as I am looking to pick up a new pair of boots. Looking for a little help on sizing. A 12 in the Crispi Colorado is money and I wore a Charmoz OD In 47 EU and that was a solid fit. Slight movement in the heel and just a tad narrow but length seemed really good.

Anyone have a comparison of the Ribelle vs the Charmoz OD?

Thanks

Well I don’t wear the same size as you but will share my experience. I wear a 10 1/2 in crispi and lowa. 11 in a hanwag. I had to go all the way to 11 1/2 in the ribelle to get the correct length. Overall I’m pretty happy with the boot. Still breaking them in but I will say the insole May be the worst I’ve ever saw so I’m looking into something to replace them with. Hope this helps you some.

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Well I don’t wear the same size as you but will share my experience. I wear a 10 1/2 in crispi and lowa. 11 in a hanwag. I had to go all the way to 11 1/2 in the ribelle to get the correct length. Overall I’m pretty happy with the boot. Still breaking them in but I will say the insole May be the worst I’ve ever saw so I’m looking into something to replace them with. Hope this helps you some.

Thanks for the help. It’s always so hard to tell as some companies use use Euro as the primary and some use the American sizes. The Crispi 12 is a 45.5 euro which is a good fit really its probably closer to 46 euro. The Hanwag Makra 12 is 46 Euro and that’s was a good fit and felt like a 46. In my Charmoz OD I ran a 47 euro which is almost a 13. I guess it really is just a crap shoot. I took the plunge and ordered the 46.5 and 47 hopefully one of those will work. Also to the insole point all the factory ones are garbage. I like the SuperFeet Green and if volume allows the Trailblazer Comfort is also a good one.