Scarpa Ribelle HD - First Impressions

Spoonman

WKR
Thanks for the help. It’s always so hard to tell as some companies use use Euro as the primary and some use the American sizes. The Crispi 12 is a 45.5 euro which is a good fit really its probably closer to 46 euro. The Hanwag Makra 12 is 46 Euro and that’s was a good fit and felt like a 46. In my Charmoz OD I ran a 47 euro which is almost a 13. I guess it really is just a crap shoot. I took the plunge and ordered the 46.5 and 47 hopefully one of those will work. Also to the insole point all the factory ones are garbage. I like the SuperFeet Green and if volume allows the Trailblazer Comfort is also a good one.

I run the trailblazer comfort in my Ribella’s and they work great for me. I have yet to find a factory insole that was better than a sheet of paper. The R&D of a boot is simply that and not in the insole since 99% of people change them out anyway.

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I run the trailblazer comfort in my Ribella’s and they work great for me. I have yet to find a factory insole that was better than a sheet of paper. The R&D of a boot is simply that and not in the insole since 99% of people change them out anyway.

What’s your foot shape like? Have you worn the Charmoz or any other boot on the NAG last? If so how does the ARG compare to the NAG?

Thanks

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
NAG last? ARG?

The last is the foundation of what the boot is built on and around. Most boot companies use a variety of last depending on the application of the boot. Some have more room, width, or just a different fit and feel than others. For me the NAG last from Scarpa is narrow. I received my Ribelle’s on Saturday and can say the ARG last and design of the boot around it is noticeably roomier than the NAG. The same insole I ran in a 47 EU boot on the NAG last (Charmoz OD) is about 3/16-1/4 in short in the 47 EU Ribelle. It actually moves around in the boot and when pushed to the toe of the boot leaves a noticeable gap against the heel but fits perfectly in the 46.5 Ribelle. I think it just speaks to the fact that you really do need to try every boot on. They are all different and companies that list the last the boot is built on can be a huge help once you have found a last you like.

Hope this helped explain a little.

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Just a little update. I received both pairs of mine Saturday. I haven’t had them out of the house yet but here is what I can say.

Overall I really like the fit and feel of the Ribelle so far. It has enough room to use any insole I choose (superfeet green or trailblazer comfort) which isn’t always the case for me with scarpa. The construction is a little odd compared to most other mountaineering boots. The fit and finish of the construction is good. Typical Scarpa construction. I have one area I’m a little concerned about but that’s why they offer a warranty. All companies produce a bad boot now and again and the construction will vary a little pair to pair.

I had been using a pair of Crispi Colorado’s and I will offer a little comparison. The Ribelle is 1 whole euro larger in size. That aside they feel similar in width and length with the Crispi maybe being a touch wider in the toe. Heel retention in both is very good. The Colorado is a little taller around the ankle but not much. The lacing system of the Ribelle is far better. The Ribelle has a stiffer sole but walks so well you don’t feel it. The rocker is close to the same on both as they both walk well.

If anyone has questions feel free to reach out. I will add some feedback as I break them in (shouldn’t take much) and use them this fall. I think this boot will be awesome.

Last edited:

Spoonman

WKR
The last is the foundation of what the boot is built on and around. Most boot companies use a variety of last depending on the application of the boot. Some have more room, width, or just a different fit and feel than others. For me the NAG last from Scarpa is narrow. I received my Ribelle’s on Saturday and can say the ARG last and design of the boot around it is noticeably roomier than the NAG. The same insole I ran in a 47 EU boot on the NAG last (Charmoz OD) is about 3/16-1/4 in short in the 47 EU Ribelle. It actually moves around in the boot and when pushed to the toe of the boot leaves a noticeable gap against the heel but fits perfectly in the 46.5 Ribelle. I think it just speaks to the fact that you really do need to try every boot on. They are all different and companies that list the last the boot is built on can be a huge help once you have found a last you like.

Hope this helped explain a little.

Right on. Thanks for the info! I also believe trying on everything boot out there because everyone has a different fit and feel. For me the Ribelle has been a amazing boot. Fit and feel is great, they are built well and also are very very waterproof and I need that hunting in NW Washington.

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Right on. Thanks for the info! I also believe trying on everything boot out there because everyone has a different fit and feel. For me the Ribelle has been a amazing boot. Fit and feel is great, they are built well and also are very very waterproof and I need that hunting in NW Washington.

The OutDry (used in years prior) which from what I have been told is the same thing as HDry (used currently) was always good to me and kept me dry. Plus it breathes so well. I’m really excited to put this boot to the test.

Spoonman

WKR
The OutDry (used in years prior) which from what I have been told is the same thing as HDry (used currently) was always good to me and kept me dry. Plus it breathes so well. I’m really excited to put this boot to the test.

I was told the same thing in regards to the outdry/ Hdry by a scarpa rep. It’s def been far superior to the last couple gortex boots I’ve owned. Good luck! I love mine!

I just picked up a pair today. Really liking the boot but I can’t get a good lock in the heel. Everything else fits well. I want them to work, anyone have suggestions?

Spoonman

WKR
I just picked up a pair today. Really liking the boot but I can’t get a good lock in the heel. Everything else fits well. I want them to work, anyone have suggestions?

I get great heel lock with mine. Everyone will fit boots differently. One thing to try is get rid of the crappy insole and put in a good one. The other thing you could try is some different lacing techniques. One thing I learned early on is no matter how bad you love a boot because a lot of other people do or they say how great the boot it, is that if it doesn’t fit it simply doesn’t fit and move on to something that does.

James

FNG
Just picked up these boots off some of your input and figured id post some more info from my initial impressions. Overall the boots feel great and don't seem to need any sort of break in. The sock fit is really nice as well as I've had issues with how much tongue material there is on some boots. The scarpa soles are ok but ended up getting some superfeet blues( i usually run greens but i find these are slightly lower volume boots). The rocker they have on these boots also makes walking on hard packed ground a lot nicer than a lot of other mountaineering style boot and was a big plus.
As for sizing listen to what everyone else is saying, you will need at the very minimum about half euro size up and i ended up with a whole euro size up. I will list some other boots and sizes I've tried so you can compare below. My foot is on the narrower side but I've never actually worn a specific narrow shoe/boot.

Regular shoes - 10.5 / 44
Scarpa kinesis Pro's - 10.5 / 44
Scarpa Wrangell's - 11 / 44.5
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme - 10.5 / 44
5.11 Side zips - 10.5 / 44
Solomon Ultra 3 GTX - 11 / 44.5
Scarpa Ribelle HD - 11.5 / 45

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
So where can a guy find these on sale, tried them on today along with some Crispi and Hanwag in similar styles and these Scarpas will be my next boot to replace my Salomon 4D. That rocker sole makes walking in these very nice.

So where can a guy find these on sale, tried them on today along with some Crispi and Hanwag in similar styles and these Scarpas will be my next boot to replace my Salomon 4D. That rocker sole makes walking in these very nice.

i bought them on sale from REI during Labor Day. Doesn’t help if you’re looking for a deal right this second, but if you keep your eyes peeled and wait, I’m sure you’ll find a good deal.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered these from Black Ovis in 45.5 as they did not have a 45 currently. I hope these work out and are sized perfect. I know from the past with my Scarpas, that 44.5 was too small. Fingers crossed.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
My boots showed up Friday from BlackOvis)”(like always, their customer service was fantastic). I have just started wearing them around the house and so far they feel great. I don’t notice the heel pressure or pain I had in my other boots. I am hoping the size is correct as I went with a 45.5. When attempting to let my foot push forward, I don’t feel my toes are hitting the front but want to check more to be sure. The rocker feel is nice like others have stated. I will update as I wear them more and then when I actually get them out.

For reference, my last Scarpas were 44.5(11) and I had issues with toes hitting going downhill. My Crispis were also 44.5(11) and we’re just right. Knowing how Scarpas are, I sized up a whole euro size this time to the 45.5.

Attachments

• E68B0AD2-E34A-40BA-B0ED-F507BB65D224.jpeg
    E68B0AD2-E34A-40BA-B0ED-F507BB65D224.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 44
  • F3F1D31A-7F1C-453F-9711-03249A8C5ABE.jpeg
    F3F1D31A-7F1C-453F-9711-03249A8C5ABE.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 41

Mudd Foot

WKR
Any additional feedback on the Ribelle’s performance post-hunt? Any heavy loads encountered? Am looking to understand how these many compare to Charmoz, Tibet’s, Ranger IIIs under pack-out loads if at all possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk