Scarpa Ribelle HD - First Impressions

OP
L
Flydaho, regarding SIZING
Yes, I sized up a half size on Zodiacs but looks like I may size up a little more with the Ribelles, for a 45.5 (per their chart to US 11.5-12). Normally I'm about a 10.5 in a shoe and wore an 11 in the Tibet so my toes would have room up front with a full winter sock and liner on. However, in the Techs I didn't try the full thick winter sock, so might have sized up equally for both. For the Ribelles I just don't have the degree of volume in there as the Tibets which I think may have translated into needing a bigger size for more toe room. That said, I seem to be able to simply tighten the rest of the body of the boot to keep that snug fit on the 45.5's.

Sure, here are some more pics here, with some observations on some more details:
Height - Ribelle slightly higher with a more supportive ankle area

Lacing - Can see the 2 different styles on the overhead pic. The Ribelle pulls through all holes very easily while the Tech design has more drag on each eyelet. Not better or worse probably, but preference as the Ribelle can do one big tighten while the Tech allows the front eyelets to be tightened and retain that tension while lace up others.

Gaiter/Seal - Tech has a mini flexible gaiter type seal at the top of the heal, meant to keep out debris. Doesn't seem tight enough to be considered for water protection crossing a stream. Their Ribelle OD has an integral gaiter that's supposed to be pretty tight and more functional for water, but it's insulated and didn't suit my needs.

Tongues - The Ribelle is slightly stiffer than the Tech

Rand - Ribelle goes higher in the back

Stiffness - They're both very stiff. Sorry, I couldn't flex holding the boot in both hands and take the pic at the same time. Not a scientific test, but tried to put similar heavy pressure leaning down on the top of the toe. The Tech has a little bit of bend at the balls of the feet

Sole Roll - Tried to get some profile pics to show the design of the sole roll which Spoonman mentioned helped on firm ground. You'll need to confirm, but looks like and I believe Scarpa said the Ribelle is designed with a little more roll.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3633.jpeg
    IMG_3633.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1746.jpeg
    IMG_1746.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1484.jpeg
    IMG_1484.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5347.jpeg
    IMG_5347.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3275.jpeg
    IMG_3275.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7930 2.jpg
    IMG_7930 2.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3245 2.jpg
    IMG_3245 2.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7815 2.jpg
    IMG_7815 2.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 60
OP
L
ps - I simply ordered multiple sizes from REI, left the tags on and tried them on in the house, knowing I'd return those that didn't fit in their new condition.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
Steve, in your picture above (IMG_7930 2) where the boots are on their back pointed up it looks like the Ribelle is about a half size US shorter than the Zodiac. Am I seeing that right? Are these boots different sizes or is this just the design of the boot that makes it look/fit a bit shorter?

I just received these today, size 48. however its gonna be awhile before I can put some miles on them. Had a couple screws put in my right ankle last week. I was able to at least get one on my left foot. Out of the box the fit is spot on. I tried the boot with a heavy merino sock and a mid weight merino so far fit is good. I cannot bend the boot with both hands. I look forward to getting these out. Hopefully mid Feb.

OP
L
Steve, in your picture above (IMG_7930 2) where the boots are on their back pointed up it looks like the Ribelle is about a half size US shorter than the Zodiac. Am I seeing that right? Are these boots different sizes or is this just the design of the boot that makes it look/fit a bit shorter?

Interesting point. I noticed it too but didn't check the actual sizes until now as I have so damn many boots here to test fit (3 of Techs and 4 of Ribelles). Got to return them before my CC bill hits.

The Techs in the photo are 44.5 and the Ribelles 45. Upon closer inspection it looks like at least some, if not all of the length difference is simply the length of the sole, with the Techs being notably longer due to the rear crampon design (I think). On these overhead shots you can see that the Ribelle's rear is a littler recessed under the heel while the Tech is extended behind the heel.

So in the previous pic I simply had put the boots on the end of the soles which showed the discrepancy.

However, for me it does seem that I will end up sizing up more in the Ribelle than I would have in the Tech, so I'd definitely recommend trying a few sizes with the socks you realistically wear in the field before buying.

Attachments

• IMG_8099.jpeg
    IMG_8099.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8099.jpeg
    IMG_8099.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7958.jpeg
    IMG_7958.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 35

tdot

WKR
I'll be following along. I used a pair of Scarpa Zodiak GTX to try out this year for backpacking and hunting and they were the most disappointing boots I've ever used. They were noticeably falling apart after 7 days use in multiple places and after 15 days were basically trash. I'll be sending out an email to Scarpa shortly and hopefully get some warranty credit. I'm trying to decide between the Charmoz and Ribelle HD right now. Any experience with the Charmoz to compare to?

Any word from Scarpa? The Zodiak is on my short list as it may be the only moderately stiff boot I can get my foot into. I've had great success with one of the softer Zodiac's in Scarpa's lineup, but it's used more as a heavy approach shoe, so its rarely been in burley conditions. Disappointing to hear of your experience with them

tdot

WKR
I hadn't seen any mention of the Scarpa Ribelle HD in other threads, so thought I'd put this up for a little reference with some comparisons to the Scarpa Zodiac Tech I've also got for fit testing at home. The Scarpa customer service folks (who were very helpful) recommended the Ribelle HD as an option for those who do a lot of sidehilling and off trail in uneven unstable terrain, which I seem to do a lot to get away from hunters and get to game.

I can't speak from field experience yet, as just ordered a few different pairs for trying on at home for fit. Will fill in after a final decision is made and get them into the field. Test fitting with Superfeet Green Insoles.

Initial Impressions:
FIT

Always foot specific but for me I really LOVE the wonderfully snug and secure fit without pressure points. They also lock in my heel much better than the Lowa Tibets (which I like, fit my foot relatively well though a bit large in volume and never gave me blisters) and better than the Scarpa Zodiac Techs I'm testing at home also. Interestingly, the Zodiac Tech has a very good fit, but not quite as snug and secure and has notably more heel lift for me, even with some surgical knots to try to lock the heel down. The Zodiac's heel profile goes more vertical while the Ribelle HD turns in a little just above the heel which might be why this is. I need to spend longer time in the Ribelles to just confirm the heel snugness causes no Achilles Tendon pressure for me as I had some tendonitis lingering. Really hope it's clear as I just love this fit.

STIFFNESS
Feel about the same as the Lowa Tibet Hi GTX I have, which is quite stiff and worked very well for me last season. The Zodiac Tech flexes a little at the ball joint. Scarpa says the Ribelle HD has a notable heel roll to aid in walking more groomed trails and putting miles on with such a stiff sole. Haven't tested so can't comment.

WEIGHT
At about 3lb 1 oz. per pair they feel great on my feet and notably lighter and more nimble than the Lowa Tibets (4lb/pair). The Zodiac Techs are a touch lighter (about 2lb. 12oz / pair) though for just around the house I don't notice it as much. The fit is so much nicer for my feet on the Ribelles that in my mind it far outweighs (no pun intended) the weight difference.

LACING
I hadn't put much throught into it, but really like the lacing system of the Ribelles, as the lower foot pulleys are super easy to tighten with the laces flowing easily through each pulley, allowing the whole area to tighten with one pull from the back. In comparison the Zodiac Techs have more drag per lace hole, which could allow more individual tightening per hole, but takes longer. The Tibets with their 6ft laces and tons of loops made me appreciate this little benefit on the Ribelles.

WATERPROOFING
While I haven't stood in the bathtub to test it yet at home, notable is their different construction with the Ribelles in an outer dry system vs. goretex inner liner. I actually was looking for a lightweight summer boot but the fit and weight on the Ribelles is so good that I can sacrifice some breathability to stretch its use into 3 seasons or more. Research and reviews seems positive for the Scarpa outer dry tech.

ROBUSTNESS
Can't really comment until put them to hard use, but initial impression is they feel rock solid and have a beefy full rand that actually goes a little higher on the back of the heel.

CRAMPONS
They can fit them, but honestly I'm totally ignorant about their use as I've never needed them.

COLOR
I'm definitely a function over form kind of guy, but wow I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around wearing bright orange boots of the Zodiac Techs. If they fit perfectly it would have been touch. Suppose that since their the suede finish they'd accumulate dirt and darken pretty fast to maybe a rusty brown-orange which I could probably live with. Luckily the Ribelle grey is just fine and while I don't need the neon yellow accents, it's not a big deal for me.

Bit of a long post, but figure others who might like a stiff boot might be curious to find even a little reference to the Ribelle HD.

Will share more if I pull the trigger on them and put some wilderness miles on them.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks for this review, the timing was perfect, as I'm just starting to consider these boots. Any further updates? Any in field experience yet?

OP
L
Thanks for this review, the timing was perfect, as I'm just starting to consider these boots. Any further updates? Any in field experience yet?

Sorry, nothing new yet and I'm heading out of the country Wed. for 2 weeks. I'm trying to let my Achilles tendons rest for a couple months so don't expect doing much real field testing for a few months yet.

They fit my feet well, but be aware that they are very stiff boots. I have not tended to put on super long miles on groomed trails before getting off trail, so should fit me well. I'm planning a possible 9 day backpack trip in the Sierras that will mostly be on trail, so will be looking at whether this will work or if I'd want something with more flex for all those miles. We will see...

Spoonman

WKR
I was just out again this weekend in my Ribelle’s helping a buddy with his traps. We put on close to 7 miles throughout the day and it was absolutely pissing rain all day. Feet stayed dry and had good traction everywhere but on wood(fallen trees). I wear gators almost everyday I’m in the woods regardless of weather, we did another creek crossing and the water was ankle high for 5-6 steps across the creek and my feet were dry as could be. They are more durable than any other boot ive used with the rubber rams that goes up so high. At this point they are what I’ve been looking for all along.

mt100gr.

WKR
Good thread and good looking boot. I have a 3ish year old pair of Charmoz Pro GTX that I have really enjoyed. They still have some life in them. I have also been wearing out a pair of Salewas and La Sportivas. They've all fit me well but the Scarpas have been the best across the board. These are on my radar. Keep the reports coming.

mt100gr.

WKR
Everything about these says my feet will love them. I've had great luck with scarpa.

Just snagged a pair at 25% off, so I'll chime in with .02 worth shortly.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a pair of the Scarpa Ribelle HD's from gearcoop.com also. Just got delivered yesterday and I've been able to look them over, lace them up several times, and walk around the house. My first impressions are "damn Scarpa builds a nice boot!" You can tell the build quality and the materials that they use are top notch. Comparing them to the Salewa Crows the difference in build quality/materials is noticeable but not drastic (Scarpas are made in Italy, Salewas are made in Romania). I suspect that they would be very durable and last for quite some time. I also like the idea of the HDry membrane laminated to the back of the upper instead of a GoreTex bootie. I think this is a much better system and the reviews on this type of waterproofing, and the similar OutDry system, have been very positive.

The rocker on the boots makes them extremely walkable for such a stiff boot (stiffness on par with the Lowa Tibets). They are light and very "technical feeling" on the foot, much more confidence inspiring than the Lowa Tibets. There is a bit more insulation than the Salewa Crows and I feel like my feet are better protected in these boots. These boots are exactly what I was hoping they would be...except for the fit. For me, they are just a tad too narrow in the midfoot and I notice some pressure on the outside of my foot behind my pinky toe. If you look at the boot straight-on, the sidewalls are fairly vertical which is causing this pressure on my foot. If you look at the Crow in the same way, you can see that the outside of the boot is sloped down and out and cups the edge of your foot. The Scarpas may relax a bit and break-in to my foot shape, but I don't want to bet my hard earned money on that. But you have to remember that everybody's foot is different, and everybody has a different idea of what comfortable is for a boot. I really wish that these boots fit my foot because they are exactly what I am looking for but unfortunately for the Scarpa Ribelle HD, and all boots, fit trumps all.

-Flydaho

mt100gr.

WKR
I picked up a pair of the Scarpa Ribelle HD's from gearcoop.com also. Just got delivered yesterday and I've been able to look them over, lace them up several times, and walk around the house. My first impressions are "damn Scarpa builds a nice boot!" You can tell the build quality and the materials that they use are top notch. Comparing them to the Salewa Crows the difference in build quality/materials is noticeable but not drastic (Scarpas are made in Italy, Salewas are made in Romania). I suspect that they would be very durable and last for quite some time. I also like the idea of the HDry membrane laminated to the back of the upper instead of a GoreTex bootie. I think this is a much better system and the reviews on this type of waterproofing, and the similar OutDry system, have been very positive.

The rocker on the boots makes them extremely walkable for such a stiff boot (stiffness on par with the Lowa Tibets). They are light and very "technical feeling" on the foot, much more confidence inspiring than the Lowa Tibets. There is a bit more insulation than the Salewa Crows and I feel like my feet are better protected in these boots. These boots are exactly what I was hoping they would be...except for the fit. For me, they are just a tad too narrow in the midfoot and I notice some pressure on the outside of my foot behind my pinky toe. If you look at the boot straight-on, the sidewalls are fairly vertical which is causing this pressure on my foot. If you look at the Crow in the same way, you can see that the outside of the boot is sloped down and out and cups the edge of your foot. The Scarpas may relax a bit and break-in to my foot shape, but I don't want to bet my hard earned money on that. But you have to remember that everybody's foot is different, and everybody has a different idea of what comfortable is for a boot. I really wish that these boots fit my foot because they are exactly what I am looking for but unfortunately for the Scarpa Ribelle HD, and all boots, fit trumps all.

-Flydaho

Good info! I have fairly narrow feet and scarpa boots and shoes have fit my foot well in the past. I also have a pair of salewa crows. They've been pretty solid but like you mentioned, my feet don't feel as well protected compared to the scarpas I have. I feel they should have held up a little better, tho.

Fingers crossed that these scarpas are as good as my charmoz boots and the various shoes I have enjoyed.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
mt100gr. So your Salewa Crows didn't hold up very well? What wore out on the boot or what didn't you like about them? I'm trying to decide if I should sell mine and keep looking or just wear them into the ground and then start looking again.

mt100gr.

WKR
mt100gr. So your Salewa Crows didn't hold up very well? What wore out on the boot or what didn't you like about them? I'm trying to decide if I should sell mine and keep looking or just wear them into the ground and then start looking again.

I suppose I shouldn't say they haven't held up well. They have been a solid boot and I have gotten 2 full years out of them so far and could probably get another. Literally hundreds of miles. I will definitely continue to use them and would buy them again, no worries.

What I was referring to, and it's been an issue with every brand other than scarpa, (schnees, kenetrek, sportiva, lowa, etc.) is the rands peeling on the edges. That's more of an annoyance that just bugs me so I glue them back down or trim off the loose rubber.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I feel you there (rand peeling up). I think that's a common problem on most boots. The fact that the boot creases there with every step is hard to get around. The Scarpa Ribelle and Charmoz are stiff enough that it shouldn't happen as readily.

Thanks for the info.

I'm really sad to see these Ribelles go, the craftsmanship is absolutely top notch. The bi-component hardware on the lace loops work really well (similar to the Lowa Tibets, but it works better on the Ribelle). Like I said, it's exactly what I was looking for, just not the right fit. Maybe something will be released at this year's ISPO that I can try out.

tdot

WKR
Dont know if you guys are placing your boots close to fires or heaters (even sitting around a campfire with feet close) but this can all lead to the rand peeling away. It's thermally activated glue, so it can soften to the point of failure.

The good news is you can often soften it again and use it to rebond the rand, though itll never be as good as the original.

Last edited:

mt100gr.

WKR
Dont know if you guys are placing your boots close to fires or heaters (even sitting around a campfire with feet close) but this can all lead to the brand peeling away. It's thermally activated glue, so it can soften to the point of failure.

The good news is you can often soften it again and use it to rebond the rand, though itll never be as good as the original.

Never.

As mentioned above, it's chronic in the areas that flex with every footfall (on good boots)...and some peel for no rhyme or reason. (Lowas)

I watched a buddy's boot rand actually start bubbling next to a fire once, needless to say, it was never the same.