Scarpa Zodiac Plus GTX vs ?

Looking at the Scarpa Zodiac Plus for a lightweight, do it all boot for everything until the weather demands a more serious boot. How are they with a 40 lb pack? Adequate support? Anything else I should be considering for this application?

Braaap

WKR
I wore them for the 2019 and 2020 seasons and really like them (hunted ID and NV). They’re lightweight and the sole is fairly stiff too, however they don’t offer much ankle support. For me that’s not a big issue but something to consider. I’ve packed out 4 bulls with them (one was mine and three were buddies) and the sole is plenty stiff for a 80lb pack.

Even though I like them a lot I bought a pair of Scarpa Ribelle HD to use this fall.

Braaap

WKR
Nice. The Ribelle seems to fix the shortcomings of the zodiac plus without any drawbacks.

Nored

FNG
Would you say the ribelle’s are more breathable then the zodiacs? Also are they a stiffer boot?

Braaap

WKR
The Ribelle is stiffer and is taller with more ankle support. It’s surprisingly easy to walk in though. I don’t have enough time in the Ribelle to comment on which is more breathable. I only have one 5 mile hike in the Ribelle about a week ago in 90 degree heat and they did well.

Vandy321

WKR
The zodiak plus is a hiking boot, at best. The zodiak tech is the boot to get if you want a true mountain boot.

Nored

FNG
Awesome thanks. I was curious if the Hdry was more breathable then gore-tex. My feet sweat a lot.

OP
W
My Ribelle HD came in today, fits great and very lightweight. I think they're going to be great for everything I need except for extreme cold and deep snow but I have other boots for those conditions.

tdot

WKR
I've worn through my first set of Ribelle HD's and have a second set on order, they are my favourite all time boot. They are a totally different boot then the Zodiac, as mentioned above, the Zodiac is a hiking boot. I only wear them on walks with the kids, in the rain. I've worn heavy packs with them, but I've also done that in runners. If I need ankle support, I'll take the Ribelle HD.

Picked up a pair of Crispi Thor II's on sale this year - stiff sole, super light - 6 days high alpine bear hunting and couldn't be happier. Bought a pair of Nevadas at the same time and will likely sell the Nevadas.

tdot

WKR
Awesome thanks. I was curious if the Hdry was more breathable then gore-tex. My feet sweat a lot.
HDry is significantly better then Goretex. Breathes better, actually water proof and it lasts longer. I wore the tread off my Ribelle and the boot is still waterproof.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've used the Scarpa Mescalito Mid the last year. It's super light and stiff enough for me. It will be my early season elk/mule deer until it wears out

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Echoing the facts about Zodiac Plus (hiker) vs the Tech (real mountain boot) -- I have the Tech and it's awesome. Ultra light, ultra stiff, waterproof, great boot. If your feet don't get cold you could probably wear it year round. I wear uninsulated Schnee's Absaroka II's in snow/zero degree weather but not sure I'd do that in the Tech.

For everything else though, if you like really light boots the Zodiac Techs are awesome.

Actually, I've found that the Zodiac plus, Ribelle HD and Mescalito (low top) are all good with their own range of usefulness (for me).

If not for achilles tendinitis I'd likely wear the Ribelle HD more, but for some reason the less stiff Zodiac Plus aggravates mine much less. I've worn the Zodiac plus in Dec. WY cow elk hunting and like most things for me, as long as I'm moving I'm good. They were fine for the short distance I carried 1/2 a cow downhill a short distance through a mix of tall grass and snow.

As good as the rocker is on the Ribelle HD, the Zodiac Plus feels better on my feet for putting on miles, as the flex allows a more natural gait for me.

The Ribelle HD definitely feels more supportive and great on side hills in comparison.

For early season scouting, training or when not serious side-hilling, I've loved the Mescalito low tops. They also are notably the easiest on my Achilles causing me to wear them a good bit.

Sorry for the long post, but put a good amount of time and miles on these guys.

OP
W
Actually, I've found that the Zodiac plus, Ribelle HD and Mescalito (low top) are all good with their own range of usefulness (for me).

If not for achilles tendinitis I'd likely wear the Ribelle HD more, but for some reason the less stiff Zodiac Plus aggravates mine much less. I've worn the Zodiac plus in Dec. WY cow elk hunting and like most things for me, as long as I'm moving I'm good. They were fine for the short distance I carried 1/2 a cow downhill a short distance through a mix of tall grass and snow.

As good as the rocker is on the Ribelle HD, the Zodiac Plus feels better on my feet for putting on miles, as the flex allows a more natural gait for me.

The Ribelle HD definitely feels more supportive and great on side hills in comparison.

For early season scouting, training or when not serious side-hilling, I've loved the Mescalito low tops. They also are notably the easiest on my Achilles causing me to wear them a good bit.

Sorry for the long post, but put a good amount of time and miles on these guys.
Any real report might help someone! Thanks.

What is the fit like between the Zodiac Plus and the Ribelle? I tried on the Ribelle and they were a touch too narrow across the forefoot. Heel fit was great.

Leroy91

FNG
I have both of these boots in size 48. The Zodiac Plus has a roomier toe box than the Ribelle.
Chris, what is your US size? I have couple of 48s, but they tend to cut close in length. I am looking at these techs, but feel like I might have to pass as my true size is a 14.5US (49EU) and they don't offer that size.
Thoughts?
Also, do the Techs fit narrow or wide?

Chris, what is your US size? I have couple of 48s, but they tend to cut close in length. I am looking at these techs, but feel like I might have to pass as my true size is a 14.5US (49EU) and they don't offer that size.
Thoughts?
Also, do the Techs fit narrow or wide?
I wear a US 14 in pretty much everything. I'm in a similar situation though, because I feel like as I'm getting older my feet are getting a little longer, especially my right foot. The Scarpas aren't the most generous on length. Both of these boots would be early season boots where I would wear a thin sock. If I were to try to wear a heavy wool sock, it would be too snug. If you're a true 14.5, they're probably going to be too small. The Plus is slightly wider than the Ribelle, so I would think the Tech would be about the same.