Scent control

I know this can be complicated. What are some tricks hunters are using for scent control. I like experimenting and trying different ideas.

Stay downwind.... I have tried a bunch of stuff over the years, and wind in my face is the only thing that has consistently worked for me.

Now that said I still use scent free laundry soap(tide pods or sportwash) and scent free body soap/shampoo, none of it hunting brand stuff. Guess that is a holdover from when I was trying all the stuff too.

Hypoallergenic laundry detergent and soap. Everything else is snake oil except ozone, but the storage lockers will break down your gear, especially anything rubberized. The in field units are just more weight and shit to worry about. Plus they do make some noise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Do as much as you think helps you, but really all that matters is the wind. I use scent free soap, deodorant, and laundry detergent and I store my gear in a bag with some natural scent stuff.

I figure it might buy me and extra few seconds, which could be enough to kill a deer.

I think the high power cover scents like Nose Jammer spook deer, and I feel the same way about the Ozone stuff.

Btaylor

WKR
I agree with others about the wind but also think the location where you are hunting makes a difference too. Public or private, urban or rural.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes spray a cover sent on my rubber boots when walking into my bow stand and that's about it. Play the wind for anything else.

Thess87

WKR
I use soaps and I wash my clothes once or twice a year. Although I know that don’t help much. I do use a closet for everything that is non spandex or rubber and although absolutely nothing is 100%. I have had it give me the couple extra seconds need I believe to get the shot off. This being said I never bring clothes inside or in truck

OP
A
I agree with hunting wind. But what about to and from hunting area? I know there is no for sure deal. I see most are going soaps.

If stand hunting, try not to leave a scent trail when walking to your stand. Rubber boots sprayed with Scent Killer will help. If stalk hunting, as others have stated, being downwind is the only way to avoid detection.

fatlander

WKR
I agree with hunting wind. But what about to and from hunting area? I know there is no for sure deal. I see most are going soaps.

If they can smell you in the way to the spot you picked, the spot you picked and/or the route you’re taking isn’t right.

The soaps are really useless too. Game smells our breath. We have an open digestive tract, so the smell of decomposing flesh is constantly emitted from our mouth. We smell no different than a coyote or a bengal tiger for that matter.

Unless you’re eating the soap while on stand, it’s pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
I try my best to "hunt the wind" but the big assumption is that you know a deer's travel route and if they deviate 50 yards from that route you could still be busted.

My other favorite is clearing a nice path to your stand so you reduce noise and don't touch too much. Then the deer start using your path and you meet on the way to your stand.

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Wind is key. I still do the scent free protocol...but if deer get downwind of you and catch your scent, you are busted. That being said, I have had deer downwind of me many many times, that for one reason or another didn't spook. Every one of those times I was in a treestand, so it had to be my scent was going over the deer. On the ground, you have no hope if a deer moves on the wrong side of you. I've used scent loc, scent blocker, silver lined clothing, sprays, and Ozonics.... the wind is your friend, or your worst enemy.

I know this can be complicated. What are some tricks hunters are using for scent control. I like experimenting and trying different ideas.

I think that you have your answer regarding scent control: Read the wind and stay down from the animal as much as possible.

But on another note regarding detergents for your clothing. It is important to note that when you read "Color Fast" what you are really getting are UV Optical Brighteners. So running your clothing through with regular detergent, you are basically setting yourself up to "glow" to your ungulate friends as they can see into the UV range better than we can. Here is a helpful link: https://clothdiapertales.com/detergents/detergents-without-optical-brighteners/

I use UV Killer on all new hunting clothes and then wash with unscented detergent without uv brighteners and place in containers.

I use regular unscented soap, shampoo and deodorant as well.

I try to play the wind as best as possible but the places I frequently stand hunt have unpredictable winds that change all the time and multiple times in an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoDaky

WKR
Wind is key but use a common sense approach.There are degrees of 'scent' that matter.Especially in areas deer often encounter human odor.
It's not rocket science but it's not ape man stupidity either.My clothes are rarely enclosed anywhere utilized by humans.Pretty much 'aired' year around for instance.Plain clothes,not the 'scent free' crap.

danarnold

WKR
i agree with most of the above and i've had luck with ozonics in the stand, last archery buck i took came in downwind on the first sit in that area. it was hard to stay out of there but waiting till the pre rut payed off big

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Wind is key but use a common sense approach.There are degrees of 'scent' that matter.Especially in areas deer often encounter human odor.
It's not rocket science but it's not ape man stupidity either.My clothes are rarely enclosed anywhere utilized by humans.Pretty much 'aired' year around for instance.Plain clothes,not the 'scent free' crap.
Agreed....my clothing hangs on the line constantly....I like to let it rain on it a few times. There is a common sense approach.... a always dress outside my vehicle, and do the things I fee lo are important. I still own a lot of the "scent containment" clothing....but just look at it as regular clothing made for hunting.

LostArra

WKR
With all the farming and ranching around my deer hunting areas I've considered diesel fuel as a cover scent. I know tractors don't scare them.