Scent Killer...who uses it?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Who actually uses scent killer products on elk hunts?

I did at one time, but then I realized I have a dip in most of the time and figured it was probably useless!

I just keep track of the wind and don't worry about my scent much now.

Yea scent killing propaganda! haha. I never bought into it. Keep the wind in your face and you will be golden!!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a sweating maniac during September, my only option has been to keep the wind in my favor! No amount of scentkiller is going to do a thing for me if the wind is wrong!

i started using scent control after a conversation with my friend Gregg. it went something like this. "if i can make that elk think i'm 75 yards from him when i'm only 20 then i win and dead bull, game over" thats all i needed to hear. scent covers don't need to be bought in a store either. you can use what mother nature provides in the area you are hunting. guys go thru the motions and effort to camoflauge themselves why not cover scent at times too?

Last edited:

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it's called wind just a little in my face and I am almost 100% scent free. :)
I have taken 3 whitetails that I can remember back when I smoked all while smoking. I don't care if u roll in a wallow I bet they would still run at the first wiff!

D

david long

Although I don't hunt elk, I do have much experience with cover scent and scent killer. When I was being filmed, we pretty much had to use the scent killer products from the sponsors while in the backcountry. On numerous occasions, we would spray ourselves down with the scent killer and apply cover scent before we attempted the final stages of our stalks. Now, with that being said, I can honestly say this: on every one of those stalks, they ended in failure! I can also say this: on every successful stalk, we didn't spray ourselves or use cover scent. Now I am not blaming the failed stalks on the products, I am simply stating that they didn't appear to be of much help. So much for getting scent killer and cover scent sponsors on the website :)

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
Not for elk I have let my partners spray me down for sake of argument ,but I think for the most part its a waste of money for ground and pound elk hunting. Now treestand elk and deerif you can get it without breaking sweat! I feel it doesnt hurt, and probaly helps a little bit how much I have no clue :)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
In a controlled environment it might work. But for true mountain hunting, its a joke.

Ryan

littlebuf

Banned
i use the sent killer laundry soap.i dont have any illusions about it masking my sent but i fugure i would rather have sent free laundry detergent then adding a perfumed sent to my camo/hunting clothes.the spray and gum and whatever else is just clever marketing.i think theres a saying about a fool and his money

weaver

WKR
i use the sent killer laundry soap.i dont have any illusions about it masking my sent but i fugure i would rather have sent free laundry detergent then adding a perfumed sent to my camo/hunting clothes.the spray and gum and whatever else is just clever marketing.i think theres a saying about a fool and his money

Same here..

BuckSnort

WKR
The Scent Killer deodorant stink works great..I'm sure it doesn't make a difference to game but it keeps my pits from stinking for days without even having a baby wipe bath.. I pack it on my backpack trips...

Nothing can rid the man of human scent. I don't care how scent free you "clothes" are. There will always be scent that an animal can smell.