Scent lok Vs. Under Armour

JoeJR

FNG
I have been reading post about the top brand hunting cloths and with my budget, I cant afford it right now. I have been looking at Scent lok and Under Armour. My question is, I just moved to Colorado Spings a few months ago and was wondering if these two brands are good to use for high country hunting? If so which one is better? I am trying to get everything ready for next years mule deer hunt. Please Help!

Between now and next season you could easily get everything you need, from the high quality name brands simply by watching the classifieds sections on this website. KUIU also has an Outlet on thier website where you can find discounted prices. I am not telling you that you need to have the best to hunt, cause you don't. I have used both of the brands you are mentioning and while they worked just fine, I wouldn't ever use them again.

Congrats on you PCS to Colorado, I just made the move from McConnell to Mountain Home two years ago, best thing I ever did!

Watch the classifieds and buy the pieces you need as you see them. I think you will only really need a few things. A good merino wool base layer, a light jacket, possibly a vest, possibly a puffy coat, pants, merino socks, boots, backpack, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove, water filter, LOL.. ok, maybe a few things... But not much in the clothes department... Less is more and you can wear the same stuff every day without it stinking if you get merino wool...

My underarmor starts to stink pretty much as soon as I begin to sweat, not so much with merino wool.

There are many options out there.. First Lite, KUIU, Sitka, Kryptek, etc....

OP
J

JoeJR

FNG
Thanks Nick. I few people are telling me the same thing. Im just used to hunting is KY and just buying Carhartt and setting in a deer stand. have to used to the fact that this is a different type of hunt.

dotman

WKR
Joe, keep researching, you can find real good deals on leftover Sitka and first lite. I just got a new phone so I'll see if I can find the link but you can get 50% or more off. If you want high-end on a budget you have to be patient and search all the time.

I pretty much have bought every piece of KUIU there is for half the cost, except the base layers cause I already have First Lite, in the past 4 months by just looking at the classifieds. It can be done, and between now and next year you will have plenty of time.

Wait until after this season is over, people will be selling stuff left and right, guaranteed!

OP
J

JoeJR

FNG
Thanks Nick and dotman. I am a firm beleiver that you get what you pay for. So starting fresh in a new location I want to have the best that I can get. I have a whole year before I can go on my first mule deer hunt. thanks for the advice and the website.

JG358

WKR
I'm not sure if all scentlock is the same but the stuff I tried took forever to dry out. That in its self is a deal breaker for me. Other than the stank UA has after a couple days I had no complaints. I'd look around for deals on Merino base layers(first lite, Core 4, ice breaker) and keep an eye on the classifieds for some Sitka or Kuiu outer layers.