Scheels !

Just a well deserved shout out to Scheels for flawlessly handing a Customer Service problem!

A few months ago, we got the wife a new crossbow from Scheels online. It is top of the line CB from a major brand, not going to mention the brand, because this is about Scheels.

The Crossbow Exploded from a broken string while loaded and cocked, it was lying on top of a refrigerator in my garage, untouched for hours when it happened. I was just feet away, it sounded like a shotgun went off. It launched off the fridge, hit the ceiling. There is a 1" deep gash where the pully went into the fridge. Two feet above the fridge, there is an oak kitchen cabinet, now with a alarming dent in it. The string broke at the Cam, the trigger did not release, the arrow just fell out.

The bow was brand new in original packing when it arrived. It's only been handled by me and my wife, and never outside my supervision. Handled with care, and I'm a meticulous guy, hunting and competitively shooting compound bows for over 30 years. The CB was never dry fired. I shot it less than a dozen time to sight in, the wife, maybe six times, it was dead on at 30yds, that's all we needed to hunt our area.

The power released from the Explosion is so alarming to me, I have a hard time putting another one in my wife's lap. Just months prior, I remember the silly grin on her face when I leaned over in our ground blind and whispered "you're a deer Hunter now". No idea she was holding a time bomb.

In a call to Scheels customer service, I explained what happened, and told them, "I Do Not want that bow back". The customer service guy was understanding and said, "he'll send out a Brand New one right away". I clarified, "I lost confidence, do not want Any bow back, just a Refund". "I might change my mind and buy another one some day, not now". He remained helpful, offered alternatives, other brands, models, explained a refund a couple months out like this would be a loss for the store without approval from the Manufacturer. He then did, what most would not - The Right Thing! I got a full refund, Scheels got a customer for life.

Way To Go Scheels - Above and Beyond!

bsnedeker

WKR
I've never owned a crossbow, but you were storing it cocked and loaded? That's probably why it exploded. You are not supposed to leave them cocked for extended periods of time. I think this is user error, not a faulty bow.

dtrkyman

WKR
Crazy that you left it cocked and loaded! Leaving it cocked is not a huge issue typically as you obviously leave it cocked while hunting!

Of course it still should not just come apart sitting around!

All modern crossbows have an anti dry fire mechanism so they can not fire without a bolt/arrow loaded properly.

Sounds like maybe the string was faulty?

OP
J
I've never owned a crossbow, but you were storing it cocked and loaded? That's probably why it exploded. You are not supposed to leave them cocked for extended periods of time. I think this is user error, not a faulty bow.
This seems like a fair question, but keep in mind when hunting, this is exactly what anyone does. All day perhaps. Cocked and loaded shouldn't be this dangerous. There is a safety and the bow never fired.

The day this happened, it was long distance shooting as this bow is designed for. Up until then, only shots up to 30 yards for hunting purposes were tried. This thing is made to shoot much farther, time to give it a go.

No need to uncock I figured, I'm not done. It always seems a little unsteady when doing so anyway. So while is CB loaded up, I rearrange targets for long distance. Fridge is by the back door in garage, this is a safe place, gently placed. A while later, this thing lets loose, I was just feet away. This could have happened while walking or sitting in the woods.

One in a million perhaps. Who knows.

Never heard of "the longer they are cocked the riskier they are".

Scheels is a great store for their customer service as well as their merchandise. Interesting situation with your bow. Glad it all worked out and all are safe.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Scheels has treated me and my family well for many years.

Trying to understand why you would leave a crossbow cocked and loaded on top of your refrigerator though?
Yes, I was wondering the exact same thing, seems like not such a smart idea.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Just a well deserved shout out to Scheels for flawlessly handing a Customer Service problem!

A few months ago, we got the wife a new crossbow from Scheels online. It is top of the line CB from a major brand, not going to mention the brand, because this is about Scheels.

The Crossbow Exploded from a broken string while loaded and cocked, it was lying on top of a refrigerator in my garage, untouched for hours when it happened. I was just feet away, it sounded like a shotgun went off. It launched off the fridge, hit the ceiling. There is a 1" deep gash where the pully went into the fridge. Two feet above the fridge, there is an oak kitchen cabinet, now with a alarming dent in it. The string broke at the Cam, the trigger did not release, the arrow just fell out.

The bow was brand new in original packing when it arrived. It's only been handled by me and my wife, and never outside my supervision. Handled with care, and I'm a meticulous guy, hunting and competitively shooting compound bows for over 30 years. The CB was never dry fired. I shot it less than a dozen time to sight in, the wife, maybe six times, it was dead on at 30yds, that's all we needed to hunt our area.

The power released from the Explosion is so alarming to me, I have a hard time putting another one in my wife's lap. Just months prior, I remember the silly grin on her face when I leaned over in our ground blind and whispered "you're a deer Hunter now". No idea she was holding a time bomb.

In a call to Scheels customer service, I explained what happened, and told them, "I Do Not want that bow back". The customer service guy was understanding and said, "he'll send out a Brand New one right away". I clarified, "I lost confidence, do not want Any bow back, just a Refund". "I might change my mind and buy another one some day, not now". He remained helpful, offered alternatives, other brands, models, explained a refund a couple months out like this would be a loss for the store without approval from the Manufacturer. He then did, what most would not - The Right Thing! I got a full refund, Scheels got a customer for life.

Way To Go Scheels - Above and Beyond!

Let me ask this, would you leave a loaded and cocked gun laying around?

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I love Scheels. I have had a lot of great experiences with them.

Did you call the manufacturer? Seems to me most of them type products direct you to contact the manufacturer and not the retailer.

Glad scheels helped you out, but curious what the OEM thinks of it.

Catchfish

WKR
Just to clarify you left it it cocked and loaded and were re arranging targets to continue shooting? It was stored like that for the evening? Also don't know anything about cross bows but I'm curious.

Kudos to Scheels sounds like they did the right thing and earned your respect and possibly others.

OP
J
Did you call the manufacturer? Seems to me most of them type products direct you to contact the manufacturer and not the retailer.

Glad scheels helped you out, but curious what the OEM thinks of it.
No, Scheels was the only one I called. They handled everything. I know I could have went the Warranty route with the OEM, glad I didn't have to though. There is no way it would have went this smooth. After this happened, I really wanted nothing to do with this product.

It could have been a weird string thing. I'll do more research, may change my mind and methods, possibly buy another one for the wife because she really enjoyed the experience. If I do, I know where I will be making the purchase.

Mt Al

WKR
I spend money at Scheel's when I'm near one even if I don't need anything - not that I've ever not needed anything. They are awesome. They were great when I was a kid in Billings and they were near 24th and Grand in a strip mall type place.

whaack

WKR
Scheels is awesome. Great people snd CS and they know their hunting stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
So crossbows can't be cocked and left so while hunting? Honestly, that is no different. Or are you supposed to wait until you see a deer to prepare it to fire?

No idea really.

dtrkyman

WKR
Raven recommends no more than 8 hrs, different companies have different recs. When I managed an archery shop years ago I hated working on x bows! I have seen companies say as little as 4 hours and as much as 24, some give no time frame but suggest to never store them cocked!

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
How long was it loaded from the time you last shot it to when it exploded? Was it a top of the line CB? Or cheap?