Schenee bear tooth or Kenetrek Mountain Extreme

Clrems77

WKR
Looking into a new non insulated boot for the mid season minus snow. I have warm weather and snow boots and need something for the in between. Anyone have a side by side comparison for the above boots? Customer service or guarantee/warranty issues with either company?
many and all info is greatly appreciated!

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Like my Beartooths, a lot. Very comfortable. And solid. I do like stiff boots and these are just ok. I also like tongue gusset a little better on Kennetrek. For you, get what fits best. As to service, both companies / people are great. I wear Kennetrek socks and gaiters.

kickemall

WKR
I currently have both and have used the customer service of both in the past and found it to be exceptional. I like the lacing system on the Beartooths better as it has a locking eyelet. The Beartooths are not as stiff as the MEs but that is just a question of what you like better. I have beat the crap out of both and would have to give a slight edge to the Beartooths for durability but only because the rand started peeling on the MEs but I was able to glue it back. I would say they are both more than durable. My heel tends to slip a slight bit more in the Beartooth but with the locking eyelet I can almost completely stop that. They're both solid so just pick the one that fits and feels better to you.

Edit - One thing I do like better about the Kennetreks is they are an inch taller. When I first put on the Beartooths I thought, "damn these are comfortable". I haven't noticed any difference in comfort between the two when walking.

Last edited:

OldGrayJB

WKR
My last boot purchase decision also came down to these two. Mainly because they were the only ones I could find in size 15. I chose the Kennetreks. Some people complain about the high arch. I found it helpful, not only for arch support, but also to keep my feet from sliding forward. Locks the foot in place like a heel cup. I had to order by mail since no one had my size. I returned the first pair because of a defect. Midway USA swapped them, no questions asked. I never got to try the Schnees. I like the Kennetreks more each time I wear them.

OP
C

Clrems77

WKR
My last boot purchase decision also came down to these two. Mainly because they were the only ones I could find in size 15. I chose the Kennetreks. Some people complain about the high arch. I found it helpful, not only for arch support, but also to keep my feet from sliding forward. Locks the foot in place like a heel cup. I had to order by mail since no one had my size. I returned the first pair because of a defect. Midway USA swapped them, no questions asked. I never got to try the Schnees. I like the Kennetreks more each time I wear them.

thanks for the info. Being that you ordered by mail, which is what I’ll need to do, did you buy true to size or use their sizing model that’s printable?

Pablo1843

FNG
Love my Beartooths but can’t compare them to Kennetreks. Big jump for me to buy the beartooths since I couldn’t try them on in person prior to. But Schnees customer service is great and they’re more than helpful about sending them back and getting the right fit.

OldGrayJB

WKR
thanks for the info. Being that you ordered by mail, which is what I’ll need to do, did you buy true to size or use their sizing model that’s printable?
Mine were true to size. They fit about the same as my Danner work boots. Slightly larger than my Merrell trail shoes.

OP
C

Clrems77

WKR
Thank you for everyone's responses. I've decided to pull the trigger on the Bear tooth due to a great sale going on with Schenees right now. With the free shipping the boots were $330 out the door.

ChrisAU

WKR
Just took the dive on some Beartooths as well, I've spent years going through boots and haven't found one I've liked yet. These are heavier than I'd like, but if they are comfortable and hold up then they will be a winner.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I love my beartooths, have the insulated and non. Schnee’s customer service is top notch as well. I ordered my first pair and when I got them I couldn’t quite tell if I needed a half size down, so they sent me the size down as well, told me to try both and send the others back. They also provided the shipping label. My insulated ones have 3 seasons on them, probably 400ish miles, no signs of breaking down.

Clockwork

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought me a pair of Beartooth's just a few minutes ago. After reading about these boots I'm sure that I'll be happy with them.

OP
C

Clrems77

WKR
Just bought me a pair of Beartooth's just a few minutes ago. After reading about these boots I'm sure that I'll be happy with them.
My first impressions have been awesome so far! The construction is just as solid as I observed with Kenetreks and Zamberlans with quality leather, solid piece eyelets for laces and tough soles. I originally thought the Beartooths would need a break in of 20+ miles, but they have seriously been comfortable right out of the box.

First day was a 2 mile walk with no issues. My second walk was 4 flat miles around the neighborhood with a 40lb rucksack, no issues.
Today was a 55lb rucksack 5 mile hike through some easy hills with just under 1000’ of elevation and the boots felt extremely comfy. If there’s any break in going on, I can’t wait to see how comfortable these will be in a bit.

I’m sure You’ll enjoy these!!!!

Clockwork

Lil-Rokslider
My first impressions have been awesome so far! The construction is just as solid as I observed with Kenetreks and Zamberlans with quality leather, solid piece eyelets for laces and tough soles. I originally thought the Beartooths would need a break in of 20+ miles, but they have seriously been comfortable right out of the box.

First day was a 2 mile walk with no issues. My second walk was 4 flat miles around the neighborhood with a 40lb rucksack, no issues.
Today was a 55lb rucksack 5 mile hike through some easy hills with just under 1000’ of elevation and the boots felt extremely comfy. If there’s any break in going on, I can’t wait to see how comfortable these will be in a bit.

I’m sure You’ll enjoy these!!!!
That's good to hear. I'm real excited to get these on feet and feel these things.

ChrisAU

WKR
Just got my Schnees Beartooths in at lunch, wearing them right now. Incredibly comfortable and I love the lacing system that locks the forefoot lacing, very generous toe box which was needed for my flat wide forefoot. I haven't even begun to play with lacing techniques and feel like my heel is locked in place very well.

OP
C

Clrems77

WKR
*** 5 ish month update****
Happy to report ive been hiking roughly 6-8 miles a week in the Schenees and havent had a single problem so far. The leather seems to have broken in very nicely making the boot even more soft and comfortable. I never felt there was any "Real" break in period as the boot were comfy right out of the box, but the softened leather just makes them fit even better. No issues with blisters, hot spots or failing parts of the boot. Ive waxed them once and will give it another go before i head out at the end of the month.

So if your in the market for a solid, super comfortable and all around awesome boot with a company whos got great CS, look no further than Schenees for their Beartooths!!!