Schnee’s Beartooth or Granite

Background: I am a WI resident who travels to Colorado every September to elk hunt for two weeks. In previous years I have run Danner High Grounds and Pronghorns. It seems each year these boots quickly become ultra flexible and offer little support in the mountains. Every hunting trip I have tweaked my knee and ended up hobbling around for at least a day. We spent quite a bit of time in rough terrain and side hilling.

So I’m looking to bite the bullet and put some good boots under my feet. I have narrowed it down to the Schnee’s Beartooth and Granite. My main criteria between selecting between these two is the support and flex. I would like something a bit stiffer and more supportive than my previous Danners but do not want to end up too stiff making the long flat hikes unbearable. Being a WI guy we have no selection to even look at around here to compare. My current Danners can easily be bent full 90 in both the ankle and sole. This is the only gage I have. I was planning on ordering both to feel them out but it’s hard to judge flex of the sole until after break in. I’m hoping some guys here can give me a better idea of how these boots are after break in.

Pictures of Danner Flex attached.

980D97C4-BABC-42B6-A475-E6053CFA939A.jpeg99EDE9E2-3DEF-40B0-8902-39BBE1EA494A.jpeg

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Background: I am a WI resident who travels to Colorado every September to elk hunt for two weeks. In previous years I have run Danner High Grounds and Pronghorns. It seems each year these boots quickly become ultra flexible and offer little support in the mountains. Every hunting trip I have tweaked my knee and ended up hobbling around for at least a day. We spent quite a bit of time in rough terrain and side hilling.

So I’m looking to bite the bullet and put some good boots under my feet. I have narrowed it down to the Schnee’s Beartooth and Granite. My main criteria between selecting between these two is the support and flex. I would like something a bit stiffer and more supportive than my previous Danners but do not want to end up too stiff making the long flat hikes unbearable. Being a WI guy we have no selection to even look at around here to compare. My current Danners can easily be bent full 90 in both the ankle and sole. This is the only gage I have. I was planning on ordering both to feel them out but it’s hard to judge flex of the sole until after break in. I’m hoping some guys here can give me a better idea of how these boots are after break in.

Pictures of Danner Flex attached.

View attachment 94592View attachment 94591
I'd give the Beartooth II try. It's super versatile and stiff enough to tackle mountain hunts, but not too bad on trails. The Granite would be overkill for most people out there. Especially hunting/hiking around WI.

rfc86

FNG
I have the Schnees Bearbooth which I bought in 2015. I have used them for Elk hunts in Colorado and Montana and Coues Deer in AZ over the last 4 years. Well tested on a fair amount of steep terrain in those places. One of the main reasons I got them was for the ankle support since I was always jacking up my ankle in PA (where I hunt is very rocky but nothing steep). No ankle issues since I have had them. I think it is the right blend of stiffness and support for what I am doing. I would also recommend getting some Lathrop & Sons footbeds. It was a night and day difference in comfort between the supplied footbed.

Elkeatr

FNG
Ill be getting a pair of the beartooths here soon. Im using the timberlines and I really like them, very comfortable but I’m looking for a little more stiffness for backcountry elk hunts.