Schnee's Beartooth vs Timberline

I'm pretty set on trying some Schnee's out and this past weekend in my Irish Setter Elk Trackers confirms the need. I'm split on these two though because I really liked the weight and flex in my Irish Setter Vaprtreks but they weren't waterproof past a few months. The Elk Trackers have been great for waterproof purposes but the soles are probably too stiff and I feel like my ankles are just getting week because of their stiffness. Anyone gone from one of those two Irish Setter boots to a pair of Schnee's?

Alternatively, any comparisons of the Beartooth vs the Timberlines? I've read a few of the previous threads, hoping to get some more specific feedback though. I'll be hoofin it around the cascades for reference. Are the Timberlines noticeably lighter or marginally? Noticeably more sole flex or not really?

Rokwiia

WKR
I have both the Timberline and the Absaroka, which is a flex 3, so it is not the same comparison as the Beartooth. That said, the Timberline has more flex, which I prefer, and is lighter than the Absaroka which, according to Schnees website, is an ounce less than the Beartooth.

I just weighed both of them using a postal scale and with the footbed removed. The Timberline weighs 1lb 14oz per boot and the Absaroka 2lbs 1oz.

CCooper

WKR
I just picked up the timberlines because they felt fast & light. They are flexy- I will run these through September archery elk. If I was doing more side-hilling or rocky terrain they would make me yearn for a stiffer boot. I've got 5 miles on them and they already feel great- exactly what I was looking for in an early season boot.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I ordered 7.5’s and 8’s in Beartooth’s to see what fits right…I did not expect the soles to be this stiff for some reason. Feels like walking in snowboard boots. Are mountain boots supposed to be this stiff or is it a symptom of small feet? Or will they break in a bit? My elk trackers were definitely not this stiff at first…

I might use these to feel out which size is right and try the timberlines when my size is back in stock.

I ordered 7.5’s and 8’s in Beartooth’s to see what fits right…I did not expect the soles to be this stiff for some reason. Feels like walking in snowboard boots. Are mountain boots supposed to be this stiff or is it a symptom of small feet? Or will they break in a bit? My elk trackers were definitely not this stiff at first…

I might use these to feel out which size is right and try the timberlines when my size is back in stock.

The stiffness will improve with break in. Mine are at 50ish miles and feel great but I can tell they still have more breaking in to do. That said, they are meant to be a stiff boot but depending your terrain, you may opt for the Timberlines

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I ended up talking with Cody over at Schnees and he gave me some good info on sizing and helped me decide to switch to the Timberlines. They should be a little closer to what I'm used to and fit my hunting activities a little better.

Timberline owner here, I really like them and they filled the "Mountain Boot" niche for me.

I've got a few hundred miles on them so far, and I would not say they've "broken in" much in the sole. They're definitely flexible for a mountain boot, but still relatively stiff in my opinion. Not as flexible as my Schnee's Packs. I took out the stock insole and put in a Lathrop & Son's Synergy footbed, and it alleviated my foot pains.

Take my comments with a grain of salt, as I primarily wear highly flexible, zero-drop, thin soled minimalist footwear and almost every hunting boot hurts my feet and feels too stiff to me.

Rokwiia

WKR
For several decades, I've hiked and backpacked using trail runners. Last year, I ran into Timber Rattlers twice (in the strike zone) so I got the Timberlines and Absaroka for use in that region. Both are exceedingly comfortable with the Timberlines being more so. That said, both were so very different from trail runners and it's taken a while to get used to them.

You made a good choice with the Timberlines and I think you'll lke them. I would encourage you to consider both their Leather Conditioner and Waterproofing Wax Cream. They're both excellent.

https://schnees.com/schnees-premium-leather-conditioner-4-oz/

https://schnees.com/schnees-premium-leather-conditioner-4-oz/

Attachments

• Schnee Timberline 1.jpg
    Schnee Timberline 1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 45