Schnees Eyelet pressure

Yuhboyrob

FNG
I just got a pair of Schnees Beartooth IIs and the overall build of the boot seems great, the fit is also great but the lowest set of eyelets fall right where the boot creases and push down on my foot when I walk. Has anyone else had this problem? All the reviews are 5 stars and rave about them but I’m not sure how people would get past this, it just seems like a design flaw to me. I contacted their CS and they told me it shouldn’t be happening and I could exchange them for a different pair but I’m just not sure how it would change anything. I think I’m going to return them and try out a pair of Meindl Vacuums if I can’t find a solution.68736523-48A9-48A0-9E49-93B40C646C2C.jpeg
351567A5-0388-456F-93C3-192045EEEFE5.jpeg

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a couple of pairs of beartooths and granites. If I remember correctly, one pair had that problem. Once the boots/leather got broken in it went away. I can’t say for sure but would imagine it would more than likely go away.

willtim

WKR
I have the same boot and they function great. The ankle eye locks the lower lace. Could that be causing your problem?

OP
Y

Yuhboyrob

FNG
I don’t think so, I’ve tried different lacing methods and nothing has changed it. It seems like it’s more where the eyelets lay on my foot, but looking at any nice boots they usually have eyelets in this area as well. Besides that I absolutely love the boots, so I think I will try to exchange them for a different pair and see if the problem doesn’t go away.

Blandry

WKR
If we could combine the Schnee's lacing hardware with crispi (and some other brands) full climbing type to toe lacing it would be fantastic. I don't have this issue with the schnee granite pros but they're so stiff.

I'd estimate like other said.. as the leather breaks in it will get better. These boots are a heavy leather.

I'd like to post a video of mine.. you can get that lacing really custom with the roller hardware and forefoot lockdown hardware. yours look kind of loose to me across the toes or maybe not tight enough across the instep.

Last edited:

Big Ern

WKR
I tried 2 pairs of the Beartooth and 1 pair of Timberlines and had that exact same issue on all 3 pairs. It was a shame as I really likes the boots, but just figured the fit wasn’t for my feet.

I am using Crispi now without issue. I also ran a pair of L&S without issue.

OP
Y

Yuhboyrob

FNG
I tried 2 pairs of the Beartooth and 1 pair of Timberlines and had that exact same issue on all 3 pairs. It was a shame as I really likes the boots, but just figured the fit wasn’t for my feet.

I am using Crispi now without issue. I also ran a pair of L&S without issue.
Yeah, I’m surprised more people don’t have the same problem. I sent them back and they’re sending me a new pair, I’m not too confident it will make a difference but I thought I’d give it a try. Only shitty part is all the sales on Crispi and other brands just passed but if they don’t work out I’ll probably try some Nevada’s or Meindls.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
My first pair had it for a little bit just on one foot. I kept the lowest laces a little loose for a while while it broke in. Went away within a few weeks and still going strong a few years later. I have a new pair i picked up on a sale and am starting to break in. They don’t seem to have the issue at all, but I’ve only got a few miles in them.

jt4

WKR
I had the same issue but on the outside eyelet. This was on a 1/2 size up from what I normally wear. When I sold those and went to a wide in my normal size it was barely noticeable on the wide and completely gone within a day. Now they’re by far my favorite boot.

Schnees customer service has been great and done everything they could to help me out so hopefully you get it figured out and find the right fit.

ad4628d1ec8fa9046946fecc315e2b97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They need broken in, your boots are brand new. Condition them, start hiking, and it'll get less and less until gone. Mine took about 40 miles to break in

Rokwiia

WKR
I have both the Absaroka and Timberlines and have not had that problem. I agree with the break-in suggestion.

Did you try to start lacing at the 2nd-from-the-bottom set of eyelets rather than from the bottom? I wonder if that would make a difference.

OP
Y

Yuhboyrob

FNG
I have both the Absaroka and Timberlines and have not had that problem. I agree with the break-in suggestion.

Did you try to start lacing at the 2nd-from-the-bottom set of eyelets rather than from the bottom? I wonder if that would make a difference.
I did and it didn’t make a difference. It was more that they were right between where my toe bends so they pinched and pushed down when I would walk. I have another pair coming and I’ll see if it fixes it. It makes me nervous to try and see if it goes away by breaking them in because if it doesn’t work I’m out all that money.

cgr1971

FNG
I have the same problem with Beartooths and the Timberlines. The first two eyelets press on the top of my foot on the instep side right behind the big toe joint. Those two boots have a low amount of vertical volume inside. The Beartooths are also very narrow. I tried both 11 mediums and 11 wides and had the same problem with both.

OP
Y

Yuhboyrob

FNG
I have the same problem with Beartooths and the Timberlines. The first two eyelets press on the top of my foot on the instep side right behind the big toe joint. Those two boots have a low amount of vertical volume inside. The Beartooths are also very narrow. I tried both 11 mediums and 11 wides and had the same problem with both.
That’s exactly what was happening with me as well. Did you just keep them anyways or did it end up getting any better?

cgr1971

FNG
I put them on for an extended try on in my house and the pain kept getting worse so I sent them all back.

I'm really disappointed, I really liked them, I just can't wear them.

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pair of Beartooths and when i first got them and tried them on in the house i was getting pinching right across the top of my foot at the flex point. Could not see how that would ever go away. However, after contacting Schnees and doing research i decided to continue wearing them indoors and doing squats in them to try to break them in. after about a week of wearing them they started to get better and better and now there is no problem at all. I would bet that if you got them broken in your problem will go away. Good luck.

Rokwiia

WKR
The Schnee boots are my favorite ever but I understand your dilemma. Both the Absaroka and Timberlines were comfortable out of the box, with a few stiff spots here and there, so my choice was a bit easier.

Once I made my decision to keep them, I applied their leather conditioner to them right away. I dis so again a month or so later. They have softened and now are exceedingly comfortable boots. The leather conditioner helps.

They're not inexpensive so the decision to keep them and move forward is a big one. Keep us posted and if they're anything we can do along the way to help out, kindly let us know.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
All they need is to be broken in. My timberlines did the same thing for a short time. Now they are the most comfortable boots I’ve ever worn.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just got a pair of Schnees Beartooth IIs and the overall build of the boot seems great, the fit is also great but the lowest set of eyelets fall right where the boot creases and push down on my foot when I walk. Has anyone else had this problem? All the reviews are 5 stars and rave about them but I’m not sure how people would get past this, it just seems like a design flaw to me. I contacted their CS and they told me it shouldn’t be happening and I could exchange them for a different pair but I’m just not sure how it would change anything. I think I’m going to return them and try out a pair of Meindl Vacuums if I can’t find a solution.

I have this same issue on every boot I've ever worn. Ours and other brands. It has always ended up being a break in issue. Basically the leather is so rigid that when it flexes, it presses into your foot. Over time that softens up and doesn't have the rigidity to press into your foot really. One thing that helps a bit is some leather conditioner or leather cream on the flex point. Just helps break it in a bit faster.

- Matt

I have the same boots and love them. I also had the same issue on one foot when I got them and ended up re-lacing the boots and just skipping the bottom eyelets while the boots broke in. I now use all the eyelets like normal and have not had any pressure points in years. I say break them in and you'll be good to go.