Schnees fit/lacing help

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing Scarpa Zodiac boots for the past three seasons and have decided I need quite a bit more ankle support in the places I'm hunting. I generally wear a size 12.5-13 and purchased a pair of Schnee Timberlines. Unfortunately they don't offer half sizes above size 12 in this model and they're out of stock in Beartooths in which they do offer a 12.5. I called and spoke with them today and they will be out of stock for at least a month. These boots are clearly built by craftsman and I was totally impressed when I took them out of the box, you get what you apy for! The Timberlines in the 13 seem like they have a bit too much length and volume but after speaking with Schnees today it sounds like they fit perfect (boot on, laces undone and loose, slide foot forward until toes touching, should be able to fit no more than one finger width behind heel, I can fit exactly one finger behind my heel). I have struggled for years with blisters on my heels and am used to my boots fitting quite a bit more snuggly than this. I'm not doubting the direction but am apprehensive considering the investment and just curious if anyone else can chime in on how their boots fit out of the box. Also is there is a lacing technique I should be using with a bigger/taller boot to pull my heel back/down to avoid this extra volume from wrecking my heels going uphill. Thanks for the help

Yooper

WKR
I've watched this video a few times for some tips on lacing my Beartooth boots and it's always helpful to review. He's got some techniques in there that should help your situation.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Strangely, the two boots I wear the most are my Scarpa Zodiac Techs and my Schnee's Timerlines, what are the odds?

My two cents, which you can take or most certainly leave, is that these boots are about as different as two boots can be. The Timberlines do have really high ankle support (which I don't love, I actually prefer their older Absaroka boot) BUT they are so flexible in the footbed that you're ankle is still going to roll all over the place. The Timberlines are not a heavy mountain alpine boot. They're great on the trail, they're great in rolling hills, but, same as you, I slide around in them a lot and find it very difficult to feel "locked in" like I would in a Scarpa or even my Absarokas.

Could be that you've gotten so used to a stiff boot that your foot is having a really hard time in a boot as light and flexible as the Timberline. That's the case for me so my Timberlines just don't go many steep places.

Rokwiia

WKR
There are a number of methods for lacing boots that help the boots to fit properly to your feet. They various teechniques can make a world of difference. My best suggestion is to go to YouTube and do a search for boot lacing methods. Good luck.