Schnee’s granite/ 10” boot question

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my granites in the mail and I am very impressed, they fit great and feel good also. My only concern is since the leather is still very stiff it is a bit hard to get the lacing super tight over specific areas of my foot, which makes it so if I try to articulate my ankle inside the boot I can induce some heel slip (which has never been an issue) I called schnees and they said this is not a huge issue once the leather breaks down and also just don’t articulate your foot inside such a stiff tall boot. I am going to wear them around the house for a few days to ease my worry’s that this will be an issue once I’m out on a mountain. Does anyone else have any similar experience with taller boots and or breaking in leather to get an exact fit?

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
The stiffer leather boots definitely require a break in period. I bought a pair of non-insulated granites this summer, and it probably took around 50ish miles to get them broken in. Pretty similar to the Kenetreks and other stiffer leather boots like that I have had in the past.

With the granites, they were the same for me as you described. Hard to cinch tight in certain spots with the stiffer leather. Once I got through the break-in period the leather softened up and I could get the fit perfect. I absolutely love my granites now that they are broken in. Once the leather starts to soften up and allows you to tighten them as much as you want, they start to really shape to the foot and ankle. I do have more foot and ankle articulation with the boots now that they are broken in, but they do a good job maintaining the ankle support.

Franger

FNG
The heel lift/slip issue while trying on is significantly overblown in my opinion. Theres only two boots I cant induce heel lift on; my ski boots and the Zamberlan 1030 Sella NW. I don’t hike in the ski boots obviously. And the Zamberlan‘s ripped my heel apart during break in and still put quite a bit of pressure on my heel. They’re in the process of being warrantied for leaking.

I can get my heel to lift on my tried and true Scarpa Kinesis Backpacking boots. And they don’t give me any issues on my heel. Same thing with my La Sportiva TX3 approach shoes.

I just received two pairs of Granites this week, size 9.5 and 10. My foot measures exactly 9.5 on a Brannock device. When I bang my foot forward in the 9.5, I can get my toes to hit the front just a bit. And I can induce slight heel lift on both sizes. So I’ll be going with the 10’s for sure.

The best advice I can give is to get into a lunge position, or better, up a steep incline. See if you notice any heel PRESSURE. A small amount of lift or slippage is natural in any shoe when you’re trying to get it to lift. It’s slippage with pressure or a hard stop in the back of the boot that’ll really ruin the day.

slowelk

WKR
The granite is the stiffest boot I have even owned and worn - much stiffer than a kenetrek. I felt like mine got comfortable in the 20-30 mile range, and continued to improve from there. Lacing tightness improved over time as well, but still stiffer than any other boots I have worn.

My only complaint on that boot is due to the tightness of the leather, and how you have to really pull to get the appropriate tightness, that locking eyelet chews up the laces. I would recommend having a backup set with you on your hunts.

OP
N

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thanks for all the knowledge guys, I’m going to go ahead and start breaking them in and hope for the best. I have a good feeling and like the boots a lot. Just tired of buying boots.

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
Could also try some inserts that increase your instep to fill in the gaps, sort of speak.

hunterjmj

WKR
I bought the Hoffman explorer lights 4 seasons ago and it definitely took 40-50 miles before the would tighten up like I wanted. The first year I had them I'd have to stop and re-tighten 2-3 times a day but since then I tie them in the morning, put my gaiters on and never touch them until I get back to camp in the evening. They stay tight all day which is so freaking nice.