Schnees Kestrel Zero Flex

fishslap

WKR
It looks like schnees has a new zero flex boot. Thoughts? I bought a pair of kenetrek bridger ridge light weight boots years ago and liked the fit but the quality was garbage. I had two pair quickly fall apart. Maybe the kestrel will be similar in fit and flex with better quality. Price seems high for a boot like this though. Any experience with the sympatex membrane?

TheCougar

WKR
I tried it on at the Dallas SCI convention. I liked it a lot. They are releasing a 12.5 size, which fit my foot just like the Crispi 13s. The price tag was really high, however. Not sure that I’m willing to pay that much gonk for boots that might falls apart because of the lighter weight materials. Not knocking Schnees- but light weight boots tend to not last as much as a quality full leather boot.

I'm interested in the Kestrel. Bought a pair of Timberlines this past summer and they just didn't fit like my Beartooth Mids and had a weird fold in the high volume toe box that pushed down on my foot. Looking for a more flexible boot than the beartooth. My Beartooths have the sympatex membrane and I'm going on 2 years of pretty good use in may of this year. I use them year round hiking, hunting and shed hunting.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
I might give schnees a call this week. I currently have lowa renegades and scarpa kinesis pro. I’m curious how the kestrel compares to the renegade.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It looks like schnees has a new zero flex boot. Thoughts? I bought a pair of kenetrek bridger ridge light weight boots years ago and liked the fit but the quality was garbage. I had two pair quickly fall apart. Maybe the kestrel will be similar in fit and flex with better quality. Price seems high for a boot like this though. Any experience with the sympatex membrane?

I would not hesitate to try a pair out. They are 100% as durable as our other mountain boots and the membrane has the lowest fail rate of any we're tested. This coming from a guy that spent his own money on a pair! - Matt

peterk123

WKR
Is there a huge difference between this boot and say an Oboz Bridger? I'm curious because the cost is about double. Wondering what materials or construction make it worth the cost. I understand it is all about fit, but a boot like the Bridger is a pretty good boot for what it is (although they could have charged me an extra 20 bucks and gone with 100% metal lace loops instead of adding some poly ones).

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is there a huge difference between this boot and say an Oboz Bridger? I'm curious because the cost is about double. Wondering what materials or construction make it worth the cost. I understand it is all about fit, but a boot like the Bridger is a pretty good boot for what it is (although they could have charged me an extra 20 bucks and gone with 100% metal lace loops instead of adding some poly ones).

Hi there, I may be able to help here. We also sell the Oboz boots and are one of their premier partner/retailers. Besides that, we're good friends with some of the team over at Oboz. Anyways, they are 2 very different boots really. The Oboz is a good boot, but I would call it a lighter duty hiking boot. They're great for trail work and a bit of off trail hiking, but the Kestrel is built to do some serious hiking on or off trail. I've had my Kestrels for over a year now and I've been really hard on them. Been through mud, sand, jagged rocks, blow down trees, you name it and they are holding up perfectly.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me - Matt

xcutter

WKR
I received my new Kestrel's yesterday. Better looking boot in person than on the Schnee's website. Look to be a very robust in design despite not having a full rubber rand. Not like any hiking boot I've owned before. Quality is on par with my Timberline's. Wore them around the house for a while doing chores and they will definitely require break in like any other mountain boot. Surprised how stiff the sole is being that they are a zero flex according to Schnee's. The toe box seems to be roomy and I actually like the fit better than my Timberline's were out of the box. I think they will work out great for my feet.

Rokwiia

WKR
@xcutter Does the Kestrel sole feel as stiff as the Timberline?

@Schnee's Matt: How does the rough-side out of the Kestrel affect the use of your Leather Conditioner and Nikwax? Does it absorb it like a dry sponge? Is it as effective as the use on the smooth- side out Timberline (which I have)? Finally, any thoughts about the stiffness and why it wouldn't be noticeable compared to the Timberline?

xcutter

WKR

@Schnee's Matt: How does the rough-side out of the Kestrel affect the use of your Leather Conditioner and Nikwax? Does it absorb it like a dry sponge? Is it as effective as the use on the smooth- side out Timberline (which I have)? Finally, any thoughts about the stiffness and why it wouldn't be noticeable compared to the Timberline?
Stiffness feels very comparable to my Timberline's. Just slightly less stiff. Keep in mind though that my Timberline's are very broke in and the Kestrels have basically zero miles on them so far.

@Schnee's I am curious on the proper waxing application for these boots since they are rough side out. Can I still just use the Kenetrek Boot Wax like I have been using on my Timberline's?

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Hi there. I find it doesn't really effect them at all, other than taking a bit more nikwax to coat the first time. And by a little bit, I mean maybe 5-10% more.

- Matt

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Stiffness feels very comparable to my Timberline's. Just slightly less stiff. Keep in mind though that my Timberline's are very broke in and the Kestrels have basically zero miles on them so far.

@Schnee's I am curious on the proper waxing application for these boots since they are rough side out. Can I still just use the Kenetrek Boot Wax like I have been using on my Timberline's?

I would not use anything other than Nikwax on our boots (or any for that matter). It is designed for use with membrane boots and works great. You can use the Kenny wax on them and they will probably be ok, but nothing out there has been as good as NikWax in my experience.

Matt

Strail

FNG
I would not use anything other than Nikwax on our boots (or any for that matter). It is designed for use with membrane boots and works great. You can use the Kenny wax on them and they will probably be ok, but nothing out there has been as good as NikWax in my experience.

Matt
Hello! What are your thoughts on using Schnees leather conditioner on the boots?

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello! What are your thoughts on using Schnees leather conditioner on the boots?

I should have added "for waterproofing" onto what I said there. For general leather conditioning, our leather conditioner is good stuff. I use it on my mountain boots every year or so. For pac boots, we recommend the Pitch Blend.

- Matt