Schnee's Laces Digging In

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I just received a pair of Beartooth 200g boots and they seem to fit my feet very well but when I crouch down or flex my foot upward as if climbing a steep hill, the laces dig into the top of my foot/ankle where it bends and the tendon that connects your shin to your foot flexes. I've tried lacing them very tight and very loose and they're all uncomfortable in the same spot. I've only worn them inside the house.

I contacted Schnee's and their customer service has been exceptional. The gentleman i've been speaking with stated that it could be caused by the specific 'breaking point' of this particular pair of boots and that each pair of boots can break differently. He said he would start by trying a different pair of Beartooths so he sent me a return label and will be getting me another pair.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem of the laces digging in right there and what you did to remedy it.

Just for reference, my previous boots were the Lowa Tibet Hi and I didn't have this problem. The Lowas are a slightly stiffer boot

Rokwiia

WKR
I would try two different lacing techniques. I've got the Timberlines which have a similar lacing pattern to the Beartooth 200g. At the inflexion point, the eyelet of both models are slightly inset.

I would try bypassing the inset eyelet altogether and see if that makes a difference. That might relieve whatever tension is focused in that flex area. That particular eyelet has a locking mechanism that allow to to pull the lace outward and lock it in. Maybe it is too tight in that spot.

Here are two laces options. I would try them and see if it relieves any of the stress in that area.

If it still pinches or hurts, go from the 3rd eyelet from the bottom straight up to the 4th eyelet (rather than across) then straight up to the 6th eylet (bypassing the inset eyelet) then go back to crossing.

Let us know how you make out.

Lace method #1.jpgLace method #2.jpg

Last edited:
Happened to me for almost every pair of Beartooth boots made post 2017. It will go away after you get the leather broke in. Use some Schnee's leather paste and keep wearing them. Takes time but it went away for all of my boots. Good luck

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
^^^
I had this happen with a pair of beartooth IIs, I was concerned because it was never an issue with my original Is, but went away as boots/leather broke in.

OP
I

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all who replied, I'll give them a chance to break in and try some new lacing techniques. I'll report back with how it turns out.

Pramo

WKR
I had the same issues with a pair of timberlines, I now have a pair of crispi guides and have had Lowa tibets and others in past with no issues. My thought is the schnees lace eyelets are large and spread apart with only 4 of them across the lower part of the foot versus boots with 5 eyelets and lower lacing to towards the toe. With the crispi guides you have more eyelets and get a more uniform leather flex. I've got boney feet so I notice anything that digs in

They just need broken in. Condition them well, walk many miles in them (my beartooths broke in around 40ish miles), and your problem will be solved.

Big Ern

WKR
Same issue…the eyelet dug in and was very oainful. Tried Beartooth Ii (2 pairs) and Timberline. Same issue all pairs. Sent all back. Schnees CS was fantastic. Bummer as I really liked the boots.

weny with Crispi and the fit for my foot was much better.