Schnees or Crispis Northern Pennsylvania

Looking for a boot that I can hike in the summer months and then be able to trek deep into northern Pennsylvania’s nasty falls and winters but won’t freeze toes off sitting in a stand after a long hike....... Pennsylvania’s main factor is it’s always wet.... whether it be wet summer ferns or drenched leaf fall in autumn or torrential downpour to feet of snow in the winter..... it’s always wet...... that being said I still need some form of support to pack a big woods whitetail or a black bear out of the forests...... so far I’m down to schnees Hunter 2s or the Beartooth 2 insulated as well as Crispis Guide GTX or Wild Rocks......looking for any info

cvsetter

FNG
No experience with schnees but have been using crispi guides for the last three years in mountains of central pa.from early bow season to rifle and into the late season.not the warmest boots I ever worn but sitting on stand my feet get cold what ever I wear.i will say this rifle season started using artic shield boot covers and hand warmers inside and helped a lot.I have a ton of miles on these boots and have held up real well.with all the rain this year I've been wearing gaiters and feet have only been damp once,and that's submerged wading through some pretty swampy and mucky spots.wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I’m from warren county right on the northwest edge of the ANF..... I was just home for 3 weeks and that rain was wild.... thanks for the info

I own the BT II and the Guides and spend more time than most in the PA mountains. In my opinion those are two very different boots. The BT is softer, less supportive, more comfortable, lighter, less stiff, better wet traction, more cushioning, and a narrower fit. The Guide is a much more "rugged" boot with thicker leather and rand, but the outsole and midsole are lacking in cushioning. Also with my Guides snow builds up on the bottom really bad when the temps get down into the 20's and just get really annoying. Wet tracktion on the Guides was fine.

I also have Tibets and had the EVO Extremes and those down right dangerous on the wet rocks.

wgrkman

FNG
I hunt southern Potter and northern Cameron county. I used the Schnees Beartooth II uninsulated this past year and they were great. The traction and waterproof membrane were fantastic. For bow season, my stands are all miles in from the roads and in rifle season I walk a lot so the uninsulated boots were the best option for me to keep from sweating too much. Also wore them on an October Colorado elk hunt with temps near zero and didn't have a problem with double layer merino socks. The only thing I didn't like about the boots were the insoles that came with them but that is an easy fix.

They were fine until the temp dropped into the 20's then snow would build up. It was really annoying. No problem with the BT's. I really like the outsole of the BT's. It's much softer and stickier IMO, but the boot is definitely not in the same class as the Guide. The Guide is more like a Tibet or EVO Extreme, just a little less stiff.

The Guides have a much roomier toe box and deeper heal cup as well. Snow and 20's isn't the norm, so I'm gonna hike in them this winter and see what happens.

I wish I could pick and choose from both and build my perfect boot.

I'm not sure what you Pennsylvania guys' baseline is for "wet" as I've never been to PA, but I live in Western WA and it can get pretty nasty out here for basically 8 months out of the year. I have the Beartooth II and have worn them in torrential rain, wet snow and through completely soaked brush and my feet have never gotten wet in them other than minimal condensation from sweat after a long hike. This is with good wateroroof gaitors. I'll also echo that the stock insoles weren't very comfortable after about 20 miles, they seemed to smush down to paper thin with no cushion. I switched them out to an after market insole and all was fixed.

I got a hike in over the weekend with the Guides and fresh dusting of snow, with temps in the high twenty's, and the snow was sticking. These are out for me.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Really considering the Wild Rocks almost pulled the trigger on them.... just wana know how hot they are in those PA summers

No way you'd find a pair of insulated boots on my feet during the summer. I've had 200 gram Primalofts boots and IMO those 400's would be terrible for that time of year. Plus IMO the 3 flex rating is way too much for hiking.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Well shit so the guides snow stick too but the wild rocks will cook your feet...... I got like 600 bucks to blow on boots...... trying to find the best middle ground but I’d rather be feet sweating than feet freezing

If I was looking to blow $600 on boots I'd buy two different pairs. There's no good reason to wear tall and heavy boots just to hike.
The extra weight and and overall less flexibility through out the boot will cost you miles. Running around with a heavy pack or climber on your back is a different thing.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
That’s what I mean tho....I always have a weighted pack while hiking..... I’m just wanting to make sure that the other crispis can handle those elevated swamps in PA and the wet foliage.... wild rock just look like they can handle a wetter environment better

I hunt a plataeu that has those swamp areas, and a higher boot with gaiters makes life a lot easier. I'm not sure why the Wild Rocks weren't on my radar, because I'd prefer the extra insulation for what I do.
I noticed in the description that it sounds like a different outsole? It may be worth a call and see if it is a different compound?
These things are so subjective, and for me the BT II is gonna be a better compromise. Unfortunately they don't fit me near as well as the Crispis.

FWIW I like to train in a less supportive hiker, because I believe it makes my ankles stronger.

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Crispi Nevadas and hunt exclusively in PA. I have never had an issue with the amount of abuse I have put my through. They are a shorter boot, but when paired with gaiters I'm provided a few extra inches of waterproofness. I have never had them leak or a twisted ankle. Their ankle support system is amazing, especially for someone with weak ankles. They are great for side hilling PA mountains.

For the person questioning PA wet weather, normal rainfall/snowfall here is around 55 inches and last year the average was well over 100 inches. Rained for more that 55% of the year, which is not normal.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
The Allegheny might as well be considered a rainforest..... I ended up deciding upon the Briksdals... excited to test out the stiffer boot I got gaiters with them as well.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
The more I look around for a similar boot need to handle eastern Mountains and my trecks out west the more i like the crispi Nevada legend with gaiters.

Right now I've got uninsulated lowas and 800gr meindles and think I want something to splits the middle of both stiffness and insulation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Spency

FNG
Two pairs would be best in my experience if there's any way to swing it.

If your set on one pair of boots I'd go with an uninsulated model and some boot blankets if it gets cold and your sitting. An insulated boot is going to be too hot here (I live in NC PA) in the summer.

I have 400G Kenetrek mountains and they smoke my feet out shed or turkey hunting in the spring, even when it's in the 30s or 40s. Wore them sitting all day in rifle season this year in the low 30s and was ok.

Also have Kenetrek mountain NIs, Lowa Tibets(high model), and Scarpa Kinesis Pros. All are great boots.

I just bought a pair of Crispi Idahos and first impressions are awesome. Looking for these to be my go to shed hunting, turkey hunting, and early fall boots. They're a little light as they're not all leather and they are supposed to breath very well. I like a higher boot and spend alot of time climbing around in some of PAs rougher places.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Two pairs would be best in my experience if there's any way to swing it.

If your set on one pair of boots I'd go with an uninsulated model and some boot blankets if it gets cold and your sitting. An insulated boot is going to be too hot here (I live in NC PA) in the summer.

I have 400G Kenetrek mountains and they smoke my feet out shed or turkey hunting in the spring, even when it's in the 30s or 40s. Wore them sitting all day in rifle season this year in the low 30s and was ok.

Also have Kenetrek mountain NIs, Lowa Tibets(high model), and Scarpa Kinesis Pros. All are great boots.

I just bought a pair of Crispi Idahos and first impressions are awesome. Looking for these to be my go to shed hunting, turkey hunting, and early fall boots. They're a little light as they're not all leather and they are supposed to breath very well. I like a higher boot and spend alot of time climbing around in some of PAs rougher places.

You said NC PA, around Lycoming county or Tioga? I’ve only really hunted the Allegheny back home but I’m looking to find some more remote rugged places (looking east way less people) to hike/camp possibly hunt or backcountry fly fish..... towards Elk, or Sproul state forest..... if you got any suggestions for some rugged areas I’d love to message you about em