Schnees Timberline Boot Care Question

Got a pair of Schnee's Timberlines recently and trying to figure out a conditioner/waterproofing treatment for them. I contacted Schnee's and they just said Nikwax but didn't specify what type.

I got some of the Nikwax Suede spray stuff, but I tried it out on the tongue and I'm a bit skeptical.

Has anyone else found a good treatment for these boots?

If they recommended Nikwax its because the leather is vegetable tanned and not oil tanned. This really does make a big difference in how effective the treatment products are. I've never had good luck with the nikwax wax mentioned above but that is what Curt (store manager) suggested for my Beartooth Mids specifically because they are vegetable tanned not oil tanned. The nikwax performed great over the past year for me. Previously on a different pair of beartooth mids I had tried the montana pitch blend which worked but I feel the Nikwax Wax performed better. Now if a boot is oil tanned then you want an oil based product and not a water based like Nikwax.

scrub boots with warm water and and let dry.... run a bead of gel superglue along where the upper meets the lower/sole (dont just trust their glue job, add your own) and let dry.... take Montana pitch blend and work it into all parts of the boot upper, set it out in the sun to soak in. Work in another layer montana bitch blend and then wipe away excess with a microfiber cloth.....gtg and should last all season with light use.. knock off heavy mud/dirt wtih a brush between hunts.....If heavy use clean dirt and dust off wtih warm water and apply another layer of pitch blend and wipe off with microfiber cloth....

Ten Bears

WKR
good stuff above.

I also like to take an old towel, boil water and dump it on the towel. wring the towel out and place over the boot to open it up before I apply the nikwax.

Rokwiia

WKR
I just got a pair of Timberlines. I will order the Nixwax that Schnee sells on their site. When At their website, it says Schnee's Premium Leather Conditioner is "not recommended for suede".

1) Is the leather used on the Timberline suede and should I therefore avoid using the leather conditioner?

2) Should I begin to apply the Nixwax when it is brand new?

Last edited:
I just got a pair of Timberlines. I will order the Nixwax that Schnee sells on their site. When At their website, it says Schnee's Premium Leather Conditioner is "not recommended for suede".

1) Is the leather used on the Timberline suede and should I therefore avoid using the leather conditioner?

2) Should I begin to apply the Nixwax when it is brand new?

1. Timberlines are not suede. You’re good

2. It would be a waste of conditioner but wouldn’t hurt the boot. I wait till water droplets soak in and no longer bead up on the leather

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the nikwax and conditioner they recommended on the page for the timberlines.
You lose that velvet feel and they darken. A lot.
Still better than risking wet/damp feet trudging through tons of tall wet grass.

Bzn_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Nikwax waterproofing wax/paste is all I put on my mountain boots anymore. Have been running it on my Timberlines for 2.5 years now and really happy with the stuff!