Schnees timberline reviews

Hey all, I’m in the market for a new pair of boots. I’ve narrowed my choices down to the timberlines and the beartooths (or would it be bearteeth?). Anyhow, I’ve been wearing pac boots from schnees for a few winters now and am really impressed with the quality and comfort. I made the switch from whites when their quality went downhill ( My last pair from them came apart at the seams but only after the rubber above the top of my foot split on both boots. All before the first winter ended). My question is will the timberlines be too soft in the sole? My main use will be daily wear at work, long hikes and occasional back country hunts in New England. I’m used to a stiff sole and am torn between these and the bearteeth. I’m even considering 200g insulation if I go with the stiffer sole. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ID_Matt

WKR
If you are used to a stiffer sole than I would say go with the beartooth. I have the timberlines and they have been extremely comfortable for me so far through 3 extended elk trips. I have struggled with boots in the past (crispi and kennetrek) and resorted to Solomon's for a few years then found the timberlines. They definitely have a very flexible sole though so if you are looking for a stiffer sole these are not the pair.

OP
T
Too soft for backcountry, or too soft for daily wear? I started wearing mountaineering boots while making snow at local ski areas, they were great in the white stuff but tough everywhere else. Since then I’ve been trying to find a balance of stiffness and comfort while maintaining support. I’m not sure what the difference between a 1 and a 2 rating is. It sounds like a 1 is closer to a tennis shoe, maybe a normal hiking boot, so would you say that their 2 is alright for daily wear as well as getting out there? Thanks for your help, it’s such a tough choice.

I wore Timberlines for 15 nights worth of backcountry elk last month. Broke them in during turkey last spring. I love them. I want nothing stiffer. Only comparison to the Beartooths I can offer is my wife has the women’s beartooths and she will definitely wear them casually in the cooler months but she sweats them out if it’s warm. I honestly can’t tell a difference in stiffness between the two just fondling them. Obviously I can’t put hers on to really test it. But I don’t ever find myself wanting a stiffer boot while in my Timberlines. When they wear out I’ll buy another set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thanks for your answer. Everything I can find about them says they’re fantastic boots. No noticeable difference in stiffness between the two is interesting. How well are the timberlines holding up? Any complaints or concerns? It’s good to hear you’ll buy them again, that says a lot about them.

I did not like the Timberline, those that I ordered went back in short order. I wore them inside for about 3 hours and I had hot spots in strange places like the lace eye rivets on the top of my foot. The leather also seemed very soft and folded/buckled pretty badly for me with ankle flex.

ID_Matt

WKR
The ankle support for me is not the best . As far as the flex... they are pretty dang comparable to a Solomon quest if you have tried those. If you are used to a touch stiffer sole at all then I would go with the beartooth. If you want something closer to a tennis shoe feel then go with the timberline.

jdeanwvu

FNG
I bought a pair of timberlines last year. They are plenty capable of navigating rough terrain. Especially if you are use to off the shelf type hunting boots with nearly no support. I've worn them down below freezing as well. They have nice volume in the toe box to accommodate a heavy wool sock and still wiggle your toes. I normally run a darn tough mountaineering sock when its frigid. as long as you are at least a little active below freezing these boots will be solid.

OP
T
I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of timberlines. They arrived days early and are some of the most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned. I’m only one day into them, but they fit great out of the box. I’ll continue to update you all as they wear in, but, as usual schnees are wonderful.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of timberlines. They arrived days early and are some of the most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned. I’m only one day into them, but they fit great out of the box. I’ll continue to update you all as they wear in, but, as usual schnees are wonderful.

I just can't express how much our whole team loves hearing this. Best of luck out there this season! - Matt

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned a set of timberlines for a little over a year. They're stiffer than anything I used prior (Danner Acadia, Lowa Zephyr, and Saloman X-Ultra) so it took a little to get used to that.

Once I got used to the stiffness they quickly became my favorite boot. They fit my feet really well and as long as water doesn't get higher than the boot top my feet have stayed dry. The people at Schnees were extremely helpful when I went in to look at them. I'll be going back to their store whenever I'm looking for another set of boots.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
Soles are wasted on the Mountain Hunters. They're the glued on type so they cant be replaced. Other than that they 're in good shape. I bought the taller of the two (10' I think) which , for me, was a mistake. The Danner's are just flat out shot. I forget which model they are, think I paid about $160.00 or so for them. It's a shame cause the boots are comfortable and light and great for hiking in but they bust loose way too soon IMO. Had them stitched up last year and squeezed on more season out of them but they're toast now. I see Meindl makes some boots for Cabela's called the "Perfekt" hunter. Anyone have any experience with those?

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
The ankle support for me is not the best . As far as the flex... they are pretty dang comparable to a Solomon quest if you have tried those. If you are used to a touch stiffer sole at all then I would go with the beartooth. If you want something closer to a tennis shoe feel then go with the timberline.

How do they compare fit wise to the Quest? I tried on the Salomon's, and they're ridiculously comfy, but given the poor reputation for durability and waterproofness I just couldn't pull the trigger. If the fit of the Timberlines is similar it may be exactly the boot I'm after, my feet just don't seem to work well with stiffer boots.

VO2Max

FNG
How do they compare fit wise to the Quest? I tried on the Salomon's, and they're ridiculously comfy, but given the poor reputation for durability and waterproofness I just couldn't pull the trigger. If the fit of the Timberlines is similar it may be exactly the boot I'm after, my feet just don't seem to work well with stiffer boots.

I wore my Salomon quest GTX 4D for two seasons and loved them right up until they started to be completely worthless when walking in the wet of the Pac NW (western WA). I found the timberlines this fall and loved them right out of the box! Hiked 10mi on day one without an issue. Darn tough socks and no insole needed... at first. I then began to feel discomfort at the ball of each foot d/t the stock insole becoming essentially worthless.

I have since added an OTC cushion insole (from REi) and they fixed that problem immediately. Then, I began to feel a pressure spot at the distal dorsal surface of my 1st metatarsal d/t either the lace or the lace eye pushing into the region (But only on my left foot/boot). I loosened the laces, tightened them and have since tried to treat the leather (Schnee’s suggestion) to see if that will help. I really want these boots to work because they are extremely waterproof, comfortable (minus the pressure spot), have great traction and while others may want a stiff sole, I’m not partial to that on icy rocks, loamy soil timber pockets and when I need to feel the ground. I really hope the leather treatment works for that pressure spot!!! I’ll be crushed if it doesn’t work.

jdeanwvu

FNG
I wore my Salomon quest GTX 4D for two seasons and loved them right up until they started to be completely worthless when walking in the wet of the Pac NW (western WA). I found the timberlines this fall and loved them right out of the box! Hiked 10mi on day one without an issue. Darn tough socks and no insole needed... at first. I then began to feel discomfort at the ball of each foot d/t the stock insole becoming essentially worthless.

I have since added an OTC cushion insole (from REi) and they fixed that problem immediately. Then, I began to feel a pressure spot at the distal dorsal surface of my 1st metatarsal d/t either the lace or the lace eye pushing into the region (But only on my left foot/boot). I loosened the laces, tightened them and have since tried to treat the leather (Schnee’s suggestion) to see if that will help. I really want these boots to work because they are extremely waterproof, comfortable (minus the pressure spot), have great traction and while others may want a stiff sole, I’m not partial to that on icy rocks, loamy soil timber pockets and when I need to feel the ground. I really hope the leather treatment works for that pressure spot!!! I’ll be crushed if it doesn’t work.

I went through a similar situation with my Timberlines. They were awesome at first. Then I went through a 10 -15 mile period where I didn't think they were going to work. I played with different lacing techniques which did help. I ultimately determined your boots don't need to be laced nearly as tight as you think they need to be unless you are doing a very long/steep descend. I also noticed once the leather was saturated the problem went away entirely. My protocol now is that when I notice the issue happening I know its time to treat my boots and by that time most of the waterproofing treatment has worn off anyways. I totally saturate the leather with water and apply Nikwax waterproofing wax and let them sit for a day or two. After that they are back to being badass.

OP
T
They just keep getting more comfortable with time. I wear them all day every day, indoors and out, and the stiffness (though much softer than I initially expected) hasn’t been a problem once. They grip well even when damp and flex enough to conform with most obstacles. These are the second pair of boots that I’ve bought from Schnees and the quality is remarkable again, my pac boots are about to get worn for their sixth winter and I have no doubt that they’ll see many more. I’m very curious about how long these timberlines will last, I imagine I’ll wear through the sole long before the uppers get a chance to fail. I hope they give me a few good years before I have to reorder.

What is the width like on the timberlines? I have really narrow feet and the schnee pac boots are way too wide for me. I always have liked the company but it’s tough when you can’t try a boot on without buying it.

What is the width like on the timberlines? I have really narrow feet and the schnee pac boots are way too wide for me. I always have liked the company but it’s tough when you can’t try a boot on without buying it.
They have a pretty generous toe box. But overall not very wide in the normal width boot. Brest boot!!!

VO2Max

FNG
I went through a similar situation with my Timberlines. They were awesome at first. Then I went through a 10 -15 mile period where I didn't think they were going to work. I played with different lacing techniques which did help. I ultimately determined your boots don't need to be laced nearly as tight as you think they need to be unless you are doing a very long/steep descend. I also noticed once the leather was saturated the problem went away entirely. My protocol now is that when I notice the issue happening I know its time to treat my boots and by that time most of the waterproofing treatment has worn off anyways. I totally saturate the leather with water and apply Nikwax waterproofing wax and let them sit for a day or two. After that they are back to being badass.

good to know!! I haven’t hiked in mine since I treated them last. Fingers crossed but your post gives me promise. I used snow seal... nikwax or oberhaufs better you feel?