Schnees Timerbline

cjdewese

WKR
Bought a pair recently during their 40% off sale to try an all leather boot from a high end manufacturer.

I just put them on for the 1st time and so far they feel pretty nice. I bought some Sole insoles to put in them, but not sure I like them any better than the original footbed. I'll try hiking with both over time and decide which I like better.

This is the 1st all leather boot i've tried so far so time will tell, but for now they fit nicely and feel good out of the box.

Will be hiking in them either this afternoon or during the weekend and will post back here how they feel as I get some miles of dirt on them.

Rokwiia

WKR
Congratulations on your new boots. I have a pair of Timberlines and love them as well. They fit like a glove the first time they slid on my feet. I'd suggest getting their leather conditioner.

Many happy miles.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
Congratulations on your new boots. I have a pair of Timberlines and love them as well. They fit like a glove the first time they slid on my feet. I'd suggest getting their leather conditioner.

Many happy miles.
Thanks, I got their conditioner as well as some nikwax so should be good there. Looking forward to seeing how these feel on trail, around the house they feel great.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I own a pair of timberlines, beartooths, and 2 pairs of granites. I really like the timberline boots for easy walking carrying a light pack, they fit great and are nice and light. I’m not a fan of the beartooth in the end and will not be buying another pair I like the timberline better. When I get into rough country or deeper snow I go to the granites, they are a whole different boot but I like them the most. The only thing with the granites is they need some break in time, my timberlines were perfect out of the box.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my timberlines but weirdly they had one of the worst breakin periods I had. The leather was extremely stiff and took quite awhile to get supple.

Like @SamsonMan22, I have a pair of the Granites I love. I put 30+ miles on them out of the box over a couple of days and had no issues.

I picked up some of the Schnee's conditioner + Nikwax, but found good ol Sno-Seal to be far more productive in offering protection.

Congrats on the new boots! I hope you enjoy them.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been running timberlines since mid summer and have been very happy with them. Took some self control to not buy another pair during the sale and stash them for a couple years down the road

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
I really like my timberlines but weirdly they had one of the worst breakin periods I had. The leather was extremely stiff and took quite awhile to get supple.
What were the issues you had during break in and how long did it take you to get them broken in?

I am new to full leather boots with a break in period so looking for ideas of how long and what is normal?

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
What were the issues you had during break in and how long did it take you to get them broken in?

I am new to full leather boots with a break in period so looking for ideas of how long and what is normal?
The laces closest to my toes. the leather was extremely stiff there, and the boot kept creasing into my toes every step. it was very uncomfortable. Took at least 40 miles to get supple there

Rokwiia

WKR
Sorry to hear your Timberlines lace area was that stiff. I allowed a "walk-around" period at home but they were perfectly comfortable for me to go directly from box to an extended hike.

I have the Beartooth and Timberlines. I put the Schnees leather conditioner on and then wore both around the house, working in the yard walking the dogs, etc.

Both felt great and fit perfect to size and width.

I used my Beartooth (0) for my hunt in CO this year, I couldn't have been happier!!! I wore a medium weight Kennetrec tall calf type wool sock and my feet never got cold. One morning it was -11! They handled the rocks, hills, snow, oak brush fantastic. Best boots I've owned in 40 years!

I did not see the issue with the toe area, but I did put the conditioner on.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
The laces closest to my toes. the leather was extremely stiff there, and the boot kept creasing into my toes every step. it was very uncomfortable. Took at least 40 miles to get supple there
So far, that's the only issue I am having but it's been about 2 hours of having them on walking around the yard and doing some chores. Will be taking them out on a hike this weekend to see how they do then.

Both did need some break-in but not as much as I thought they might. They felt kinda stiff so wore them alot for several months. They now feel great. I wore the Beartooth15 hours a day in CO no issues. The Timberlines felt about the same. Just a note I'm 6'3" and 275 lb so maybe that's why....lol.

I picked up the Timberlines when on sale also.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
So far I'm really enjoying them. I've been wearing them around the yard doing various chores and they feel great. They initially had a discomfort at the top of my foot right behind my toes but that's pretty much gone at this point. I'll have a lot more opportunities to hike in the next few weeks to really see how they do.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Like @SamsonMan22, I have a pair of the Granites I love. I put 30+ miles on them out of the box over a couple of days and had no issues.

I picked up some of the Schnee's conditioner + Nikwax, but found good ol Sno-Seal to be far more productive in offering protection.

Congrats on the new boots! I hope you enjoy them.

Just an PSA for everyone, the one thing we 100% recommend not putting on any of our boots(or a leather boot you care about) is SnoSeal. We've seen it rot leather and destroy boots over the years. Plus, it inhibits the membrane's ability to do its job/breath. Think rubbing a wax candle on a screen door, but on a microscopic level. Nikwax paste is the only thing we recommend on our MTN boots, or any leather boot with a membrane. It's the only thing out there made to work with a membrane constructed boot. If your boot looks dry after a year or 2, i hit mine with a thin coat of our leather conditioner, not a lot. - matt

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I actually have the same issue on all my boots, always on the right foot, right at the pinky toe. Just foot shape differences between people. Mine always hurt for 10-20mi, then just get super comfortable. - matt

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
I actually have the same issue on all my boots, always on the right foot, right at the pinky toe. Just foot shape differences between people. Mine always hurt for 10-20mi, then just get super comfortable. - matt
Do you recommend putting the Nikwax on out of the box or after some use?

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
So I have been able to go on a few hikes and was able to test them out in some snow and I must say so far so good. They are extremely comfortable, plenty warm in the snow I have hiked in and I feel I have plenty of support for the types of terrain I hike and hunt in.

I really like their lacelock system, it's the 1st boot I've had with anything like it and find it very useful to customize the fit for better comfort.

I ordered the wide and find them plenty roomy for my foot and allow my feet to splay out a bit which I like a lot.

I haven't had any waterproofing issues or any discomfort outside of the initial few days walking around the yard on tops of my toes but once that area softened up they have been great since.

Hoping to get a few years out of these then possibly resole if I continue to be happy with them over that time.

Last edited: