School A Long Time Floorless Guy on Floored Tents.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I went away from a floored tent decades ago due to hating carrying the weight. I also did the majority of my hunting and backpacking with just a tarp, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag.

My wife has expressed interest in backpack hunting with me, but being as we are here in the desert she has a hard requirement of a tent she can zip snakes and scorpions out of. Fair enough.

I don’t want to carry around a monstrosity that can fit all of our gear and both of us. We will snuggle in a 2 person tent and cover our gear with a sheet of tyvek that I always carry anyway.

What are the options now a days for light 2 person tent that can be used for any season?

I’ve owned a hilleberg and liked it okay but it was heavy and took forever to pitch correctly. Looking for quality and lightweight if possible.

Thanks.

Jimss

WKR
Glad you mentioned Hilleberg....I love mine! It's a 4 season Nallo GT. What I do when I want to go light is to use just my Nallo Rainfly with poles and stakes. It's a fraction of the weight and bulk of the inner tent body plus fly. I've been in some pretty rough weather in Wyo, Alaska, and Colorado with just the fly during early season and it's held up very well. I often bring painters plastic for a floor....your Tyvek would also work.

The nice thing about it is there are several options with just 1 tent. Just the fly, fly plus inner tent, and if it's super wet/snow the fly plus tent plus footprint.

IMO the tarptent stratospire and durston xmid designs are tough to beat for weight/room/simplicity. Never even owned a freestanding backpacking tent though.

A copper spur ul4 is probably in the future for family trips with wife and kids. The stratospire 2 serves the wife and I well when it’s just us.

Last edited:

bgipson

FNG
I've been running a MSR Mutha Hubba for a few seasons now in Wyoming and Idaho. It's not unreasonably heavy at 6ish pounds with footprint and has done well in high winds, snow, rain, and everything else. That being said, I've picked up a Seek Eolus to try out this year and will get the Nest sooner or later for the trips my wife goes since she doesn't like the idea of not being zipped in and safe from bugs.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hi mxgsfmdpx. If you have a Teepee style tent already, a nest might work well for you. If you want a free standing tent or a semi free standing tent, big agnes has some nice ones and are great for customers service. My girlfriend and I have a tiger wall 3 that works really well for us. We can get all of our stuff inside without issue. You mentioned that you would rather put your stuff outside under some tyvek. Considering that, the tiger wall 2 might also work for you. I can’t remember the weight , but they are pretty light. Easy to set up and so far have been very durable. I have about 20 - 25 nights in it while back packing and Boy Scout camps with my sons.
Thanks. -Rufus

I went away from a floored tent decades ago due to hating carrying the weight. I also did the majority of my hunting and backpacking with just a tarp, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag.

My wife has expressed interest in backpack hunting with me, but being as we are here in the desert she has a hard requirement of a tent she can zip snakes and scorpions out of. Fair enough.

I don’t want to carry around a monstrosity that can fit all of our gear and both of us. We will snuggle in a 2 person tent and cover our gear with a sheet of tyvek that I always carry anyway.

What are the options now a days for light 2 person tent that can be used for any season?

I’ve owned a hilleberg and liked it okay but it was heavy and took forever to pitch correctly. Looking for quality and lightweight if possible.

Thanks.
SS2 Tarptent is ideal for AZ. With the number of things that can ruin you on the ground there, this is a solid choice plus you can dump the nest when she's not along. Checks all your boxes.

P1010866.JPG

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Well I found a deal here in the classifieds for a barely used Big Agnes HV UL2 tent. Gonna test this out on a scouting trip in a couple weeks and report back.

Marble

WKR
Well I found a deal here in the classifieds for a barely used Big Agnes HV UL2 tent. Gonna test this out on a scouting trip in a couple weeks and report back.
I have the UL3 and I use it for everything backpacking. Doesn't matter if it solo or with a partner. It's light, has been durable and had enough room. I wouldn't call it bulletproof as I've only got 20 to 25 night in it. Had it 3 years. But as long as I am carefully with it it should last a long time.

They make a foot print for it. It basically goes under the tent to protect the tent from damage from getting pitched directly on the dirt.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have a mountain Mtn hardware aspect2 and it’s awesome, however it’s more of a
1.5 person. They make a 3 man I would think would work well with 2 people.

The aspect2 withstood the 15” of snow we got in CO a couple years ago and still works awesome.

I also just got a Floorless tent for my solo adventures. So my aspect2 is reserved for really buggy environments where packing space isn’t an issue.

if i was buying a new tent it would be the Big Agnes tiger wall in 2 or 3P. they are super light and reasonable in price.

I have been using a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 person for about 5 years. Around 3# with stakes and fly and everything. Just had shock-cord in poles replaced, but otherwise i love it. that being said, the tiger wall is around 3# for 3 Person i think. it is not free-standing, as it needs to be staked down to pitch but that doesn't seem too hard. Good luck!

Love my Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 as my floored tent. Light, free standing, plus room for me and gear. If I was planning to bring the boss with me I'd grab a CS3 or CS4 in a heart beat. Been pleased with mine for 5-6 years now as my floored tent option.