School me on controlled Bear units

Got my application in this morning, draw odds are slim, but if you can pull a tag you should have a shot at a mature bear without much other hunting pressure. I’d be willing to bet that quality and quantity are higher than average OTC units. Not expecting to draw with 4% odds but someone’s gotta get lucky.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Got my application in this morning, draw odds are slim, but if you can pull a tag you should have a shot at a mature bear without much other hunting pressure. I’d be willing to bet that quality and quantity are higher than average OTC units. Not expecting to draw with 4% odds but someone’s gotta get lucky.
I feel like there is more to this. There are only a few units that are controlled units. They are all in a block next to the border by Boise. Seems odd to me.

I feel like there is more to this. There are only a few units that are controlled units. They are all in a block next to the border by Boise. Seems odd to me.
I’m not an expert, nor super detailed in this whole matter. But I looked through a ton of other forums a while back, and one guy seemed to explain why - so this is the horse repeating what the rancher told him.

Basically he said a biologist sectioned off the 3-4 units to study bear behavior, and they were closed off for a while. I couldn’t find any reason other than convenience for them. Following the closure, Idaho Fish & Game opted to make it a draw unit since it had been un-hunted for his study amount of years. They never switched it back because of $$$, and hound hunters use it to train their dogs after the May 18th closing date.

Again, I can’t guarantee the factuality of this, but this is what I’ve taken as my reason as to why it’s just that small block of units.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I’m not an expert, nor super detailed in this whole matter. But I looked through a ton of other forums a while back, and one guy seemed to explain why - so this is the horse repeating what the rancher told him.

Basically he said a biologist sectioned off the 3-4 units to study bear behavior, and they were closed off for a while. I couldn’t find any reason other than convenience for them. Following the closure, Idaho Fish & Game opted to make it a draw unit since it had been un-hunted for his study amount of years. They never switched it back because of $$$, and hound hunters use it to train their dogs after the May 18th closing date.

Again, I can’t guarantee the factuality of this, but this is what I’ve taken as my reason as to why it’s just that small block of units.
Excellent, I knew there had to be something to it. You have any idea how many years it’s been open to hunting?