School me on ILF

aggieland

WKR
Wanting to try an ILF setup and leaning towards the Border Tempest riser with CV9 limbs. This will be 90% a hunting bow so wanting to come out somewhere in the 62" length and 50-55# draw weight. My AMO draw length is 28.25.. I have never shot an ilf bow so its all new to me. Any thoughts or advice would be great. I have been shooting 58" centaur longbows for a long time at 60+ pounds, but hoping to drop my draw weight and still maintain speed. Also think the extra length and mass weight will improve my accuracy.. thanks for your time.

oldgoat

WKR
Wanting to try an ILF setup and leaning towards the Border Tempest riser with CV9 limbs. This will be 90% a hunting bow so wanting to come out somewhere in the 62" length and 50-55# draw weight. My AMO draw length is 28.25.. I have never shot an ilf bow so its all new to me. Any thoughts or advice would be great. I have been shooting 58" centaur longbows for a long time at 60+ pounds, but hoping to drop my draw weight and still maintain speed. Also think the extra length and mass weight will improve my accuracy.. thanks for your time.
Have you ever shot a border bow before? I shot one of the Covert Hunters, performance is real but I couldn't stand the grip, and didn't enjoy shooting it, but I know people that love them so that's that. ILF is great if you are a serious tinkerer, if you aren't, then it's just another bow with enhanced tuning potential that will likely go untapped. Guess my question to you is, what is it that you think you are going to gain by going Ilf?

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
ILF is simply just another way to make a takedown bow. To many people seem to make it complicated but it’s really super simple. You’ll be Able to tune arrows super easy and when it comes to taking it apart and putting it back together you won’t need any tools. You’ll be able to tiller the limbs for split finger or three under shooting.

I hate when people say that there is no need to go ILF. Say you get the Border bow and you love the grip and riser but you dont care for the limbs... you can easily swap them out for a different manufacture. Say you love the bow but now you just need a heavier set of limbs or a lighter set of limbs, you can easily order new limbs without ordering a whole new bow.

ILF is a great option, no matter the manufacture!

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Have you ever shot a border bow before? I shot one of the Covert Hunters, performance is real but I couldn't stand the grip, and didn't enjoy shooting it, but I know people that love them so that's that. ILF is great if you are a serious tinkerer, if you aren't, then it's just another bow with enhanced tuning potential that will likely go untapped. Guess my question to you is, what is it that you think you are going to gain by going Ilf?
I have shot a border covert hunter 17" riser and hex 7 limbs and I also did not really like the grip. But with the tempest I can choose the grip i want.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
ILF is simply just another way to make a takedown bow. To many people seem to make it complicated but it’s really super simple. You’ll be Able to tune arrows super easy and when it comes to taking it apart and putting it back together you won’t need any tools. You’ll be able to tiller the limbs for split finger or three under shooting.

I hate when people say that there is no need to go ILF. Say you get the Border bow and you love the grip and riser but you dont care for the limbs... you can easily swap them out for a different manufacture. Say you love the bow but now you just need a heavier set of limbs or a lighter set of limbs, you can easily order new limbs without ordering a whole new bow.

ILF is a great option, no matter the manufacture!
I agree, I think it will be nice to use different limbs or change if I want. Tuning , etc I will have to study a little in but I believe it will be a nice option.

oldgoat

WKR
I agree, I think it will be nice to use different limbs or change if I want. Tuning , etc I will have to study a little in but I believe it will be a nice option.
The limbs is really the only thing I took advantage of, I still have some ilf setups and hunted with the Dryad ACS RC limbs on a trad tech riser and a Morrison 13" riser, really wish I had kept that short setup. If you really want to keep some speed and drop poundage they are a good choice, the Dryad limbs that is. Those Deep Hook recurves are really easy to get limb twist on though, no matter the brand. Uukhas should be on your radar too, never owned any but had opportunity to shoot them a few times and they draw like butter!

A couple of the nice features about ILF is how quickly you can change out limbs, a spare set in camp means you keep hunting if you have a failure if a limb gets damaged from a fall etc. You can also have about a 4-5 pound adjustment in draw weight by tightening them down all the way or loosening them. That means if I shoot a 45 pound long limb on a 19" ILF riser, all the way out, and throw on a set of 40 long I can crank them down and pretty much shoot the same.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Bought a Tradtech Titan 19” riser and a set of their 45 lb. long carbon wood limbs last year after Elk season. Liked the feel and steadiness of the heavy riser so much I bought a Gillo 25” riser for indoor. The above are all great products that I would highly recommend to anyone.

Have shot everything from Hill-style to string-follow to heavy reflex-deflex on the long bow side, and several styles of recurves. My feel preference now is for recurves due to the reduced hand shock that over time caused me to experience elbow and shoulder issues. The heavy riser shock reduction and the plug-n-play nature of ILF was appealing at this point in my archery career. YRMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Bivouac. Mix and match...it's easy.

I have yet to find a custom I like better than a few of my ILF setups. I like the wood risers....though I think my Tradtech metal riser is more stable and shoots a tiny bit better. I like the inexpensive WNS limbs...but my current favorite is the Uukha Vx's I bought used.

Have you seen the Stalker or Morrison ILF risers? Those are the best grips IMO. It might be worth looking at Dryad too...they have a big sale coming up in early Nov every year. My main hunting bow is a Dryad riser I sanded/customized the grip and resealed.