School me on lead-free bullets

If 9.5" twist is accurate I would run the 131g Hammer Hunter. Out to 600y the higher velof the 131g Hammer Hunter will bee more beneficial than the added bc of the 143g Hammer Hunter. Also the higher stability is an aid to terminal performance.

If 9.5" twist is accurate I would run the 131g Hammer Hunter. Out to 600y the higher velof the 131g Hammer Hunter will bee more beneficial than the added bc of the 143g Hammer Hunter. Also the higher stability is an aid to terminal performance.
Good to know.(y)

If you think of a bullet like a spinning top, it stays stable quite nicely until it is touched. A bullet holds its rotational vel almost workout degradation through its flight. As soon as it hits the animal it's rotational vel drops quickly allowing it to tip or yaw. Bullets are all hollow points of some sort. Some are open, some are tipped, and some have lead in the hole. The lead tipped bullets, the lead will act like a fluid. They all need fluid in the hollow point to make the bullet open up from the inside out. If the bullet hits with a yaw it becomes harder to get fluid into the hollow point because it becomes relatively smaller depending on how much it is angled. The more rotational vel/stability the bullet has, the longer it stays point on the direction of travel insuring proper bullet deformation. The longer the bullets stays nose forward the better it will track through the animal on a straight line, making your permanent wound where you want it.

Hope that helps.

Forgot to say that tipped bullets need the tip to evacuatethe hole before fluid can enter the hole.

RULOJOE

FNG
All replys Welcome, Throw me 6 bullets out there Rockymtnmt and Broz.. 3 from each of you ..for 2 different rifles .I'll say im currently hunting for Big Whitetail at from 100 to 800 yards .I'm using a custom 30-378 , 1 in 10 twist, 30 inch with Brake shilen, Hornady 208 gr eld match traveling at 3250 fps. . I know its not the best but that what i researched at the time . I feel it will work on big deer at distance due to good velocity but lower at 650 yards to stay together , now if i hit bone in Shoulder idk ....But I want something that does both well .. i want accuracy 1/2 at 100. I am going to try the 175 lrx at 3450 or so. But i want Mr. Steve From hammer's thoughts and Mr Smitty from cutting Edge thoughts too...The second Rifle is a custom sako , was a 264 win mag. L ?? Action, 30 inch with brake shilen 1 in 8 twist , 6.5 weatherby mag used up to 800 yards also . Lrx 127 in it now , shot 3 inches lower at 100 , than the slower federal 140's go figure . Never seen that before ( recoil rise ) ?

Flyjunky

WKR
All replys Welcome, Throw me 6 bullets out there Rockymtnmt and Broz.. 3 from each of you ..for 2 different rifles .I'll say im currently hunting for Big Whitetail at from 100 to 800 yards .I'm using a custom 30-378 , 1 in 10 twist, 30 inch with Brake shilen, Hornady 208 gr eld match traveling at 3250 fps. . I know its not the best but that what i researched at the time . I feel it will work on big deer at distance due to good velocity but lower at 650 yards to stay together , now if i hit bone in Shoulder idk ....But I want something that does both well .. i want accuracy 1/2 at 100. I am going to try the 175 lrx at 3450 or so. But i want Mr. Steve From hammer's thoughts and Mr Smitty from cutting Edge thoughts too...The second Rifle is a custom sako , was a 264 win mag. L ?? Action, 30 inch with brake shilen 1 in 8 twist , 6.5 weatherby mag used up to 800 yards also . Lrx 127 in it now , shot 3 inches lower at 100 , than the slower federal 140's go figure . Never seen that before ( recoil rise ) ?
You realize this post is over 3 years old.