School me on lightweight knives (for quartering game in the field)

I can't much get into the replacement blade knife. Except the giant one gerber makes, big game vital or something like that. Those blades are just so small, and the way I use a knife I normally don't use the bit infront of my fingers so only get use out of half the scalpel blades. Picked up the tyto to see if I can use it a bit better. I like having them for things, but working up an animal that n the field isn't one of them.

robtattoo

WKR
See, now, i AM a knife guy. A fanatical knife guy. Until 12 years ago, i was a professional knife guy.

I do not & will not EVER understand the mentality of 'its got to go through X amounts of whatever animal without sharpening'

Why is sharpening or honing a knife such a damn chore?! Lets be honest here. A solid 75% of people who want a knife that'll 'stay sharp' cannot sharpen a knife. Wanna know a secret??? You can't sharpen a knife, because a knife that'll stay sharp for 'XXXX amount of whatevers' is super hard, probably brittle & INCREDIBLY hard to sharpen! Also, you's guys are using your knives until they are literally blunt.
That's a completely arse backwards, bullshit way to treat any knife.

Look. All knives need to be honed. Constantly.

99%of professional butchers & meat cutters use cheap Dexter or Victorinox knives. I don't know a single meat processor or butcher (and i literally know hundreds) that has more than $30 invested in any single knife. They use the knife for maybe 2 minutes work, then hit it on a steel or crock stick (I'm a crock stick fan myself)

Bottom line & long story short...... it's a hell of a lot easier to KEEP a knife sharp, than MAKE a knife sharp.

Hone that bastard & quit worrying. It's literally a 5 second job, once you've practiced it. I've built hundreds of hunting knives from simple steels (1095 & O1) and I've personally been using the same knife for 8 years. Not one has it been sharpened on a stone BUT it gets hit up on a stick probably 10 times per animal (dead to freezer) I can still shave with it. It's nothing to do with the steel, maker or anything else. It's about the nugget using the thing learning HOW to use the thing.

Sorry.

Okhotnik

WKR
See, now, i AM a knife guy. A fanatical knife guy. Until 12 years ago, i was a professional knife guy.

I do not & will not EVER understand the mentality of 'its got to go through X amounts of whatever animal without sharpening'

Why is sharpening or honing a knife such a damn chore?! Lets be honest here. A solid 75% of people who want a knife that'll 'stay sharp' cannot sharpen a knife. Wanna know a secret??? You can't sharpen a knife, because a knife that'll stay sharp for 'XXXX amount of whatevers' is super hard, probably brittle & INCREDIBLY hard to sharpen! Also, you's guys are using your knives until they are literally blunt.

99%of professional butchers & meat cutters use cheap Dexter or Victorinox knives. I don't know a single meat processor or butcher (and i literally know hundreds) that has more than $30 invested in any single knife. They use the knife for maybe 2 minutes work, then hit it on a steel or crock stick (I'm a crock stick fan myself)

Bottom line & long story short...... it's a hell of a lot easier to KEEP a knife sharp, than MAKE a knife sharp.

Hone that bastard & quit worrying. It's literally a 5 second job, once you've practiced it. I've built hundreds of hunting knives from simple steels (1095 & O1) and I've personally been using the same knife for 8 years. Not one has it been sharpened on a stone BUT it gets hit up on a stick probably 10 times per animal (dead to freezer) I can still shave with it. It's nothing to do with the steel, maker or anything else. It's about the nugget using the thing learning HOW to use the thing.

Sorry.
I have 1/2 doz custom knives but find myself using victornix paring knife and steel

robtattoo

WKR

Sorry.
Ah, but some of us DO know how to sharpen said super steels, and we still like being able to debone an entire bull elk in the field, then get a rough shave on our arm hair before we even clean the blood and fat off our knife.

Did it this fall with a Benchmade Bugout. I am all for lots of quick touchups with softer steels at home. It's fun, they stay sharp, everything is awesome. But when I'm in grizzly country alone, on a steep side slope, with an elk roped off to sage brush, I want to cut, cut, scan for bears, cut. Not cut, cut, hone my knife, scan for bears, cut.

dtrkyman

WKR
I want a knife to stay sharp, I suck at sharpening and it's annoying, tried a million things over the years and never get an edge I like, I am being very picky but I just do not get the edge I want.

Had a client sharpen my knives one year, ridiculous, should have kept in contact and sent him all my knives every year, he made even junk knives so sharp a surgeon would be proud!

I know how to sharpen a benchmade.
I fill out the form and mail it in.🤩
Top contenders for me would be.
Benchmade
Argali
Iron will
Tito Fannin
Kestrel
Kifaru
Sevetia prob not how you say it.

Without looking to close I probably look deep into Argali when I get to that point. Brad is offering lifetime sharpening as well and I feel I owe him a purchase as he has answered alot of questions for me in pm trying to plan some Alaska hunts.

rclouse79

WKR

Sorry.
You are a good salesman. If havalon blades didn't stay sharp for an entire animal and werent so cheap to replace in nothing flat I would be tempted to pick up a new skill. Your way definitely scores more man points.

hodgeman

WKR
I used to be a knife guy...always looking for better.

Until I used a Havalon, now that's all I bother carrying for using on critters. I usually have a folder in my pocket for camp chores, etc. but for cutting and skinning caribou and moose...that Havalon is money.

Marble

WKR
I have not used one but Iron will just came out with a couple knives, A2 steel and 125$

They are known for high quality broadheads, worth a look at 1oz!
This is what I was going to say I purchased and really like. I used it on 3 animals this fall. Did the deer all by itself. But with the elk I had to switch to another knife.

It has a double tip. So its sharp on both sides at the tip.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
But with the elk I had to switch to another knife. Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

No. No you didn't got really, really didn't. You used your knife until it was a freaking pry bar.
If you'd honed your knife, you'd have got thru the elk with no trouble at all!

SERIOUSLY GUYS. Google 'how to hone a knife' its really, honestly, super serial not that hard!

Buck197

WKR
Knives are like women, every guy has a little.different tastes, but a good one, everyone wants. Ive carried a knofe my entire life, always carried the old cowboy style folder in my pocket, and I use the heck out of one on the ranch everyday. I got hooked on Benchmades, umm maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Ive actually started loving the pocket clips. I just ordered and recieved a new custom benchmade bugout in M4 steel. I was nervous as the one I handled felt to light and such in my hand, absolutely love it now. Ate through skinning and cutting up 2 deer. Some dislike the benchmade, im pretty happy with mine.
Another route, you might go look at knivesranch.com their stuff holds an edge very well also.

Last edited:

Buck197

WKR
No. No you didn't got really, really didn't. You used your knife until it was a freaking pry bar.

SERIOUSLY GUYS. Google 'how to hone a knife' its really, honestly, super serial not that hard!
Hahahaha, i just read a snippit of what you said, ot drives.me.absolutely nuts seeing knives used wrong, and I am far from a good handler.

Marble

WKR

I dont bring a stone or sharpener with me into the back country. I know how to sharpen and the knife is hair shaving sharp prior.

Everyone in camp brings their knives to me for this reason.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Buck197

WKR
Yup, I sharpen everyones around here, I dont put the same edge I do on my own just as they need a different edge, I completely get it sir.