School me on lightweight knives (for quartering game in the field)

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I like my Benchmade Altitude. Anything made with S90V or M390 steel will hold an edge decently. If you keep your knives sharp, both steels will be noticeably duller after processing a deer. However, they will still be sharp enough to slice cleanly, cut through cartilage with light pressure, and cleanly cut tendon and facia away from muscle. I'm lazy and call that good enough for my uses.

brsnow

WKR
I use argali knives, carbon and serac. I used to use havalon but it is a pain packing out used and broken blades. 1 argali and a strop will get you through plenty of animals.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be the odd guy out- I absolutely hate Havalons, I think they are just for people who can’t figure out how to sharpen a knife. (Bent on the hate)

Seriously though, always hated mine, the last time I used it, I was guiding and had guided three bulls one morning, I be of the hunters gave me a knife by MooreMade out of Texas, that is the only boy knife I ever use since then. It mostly resembles a caper, no idea on the steel, but it plain works. I bet I’ve processed 50 animals since he gave it to me, this year did my entire elk by myself with it. It did start to get dull at the very end, but I was able to make it through. Great knife!

Buck197

WKR
I’ll be the odd guy out- I absolutely hate Havalons, I think they are just for people who can’t figure out how to sharpen a knife. (Bent on the hate)

Seriously though, always hated mine, the last time I used it, I was guiding and had guided three bulls one morning, I be of the hunters gave me a knife by MooreMade out of Texas, that is the only boy knife I ever use since then. It mostly resembles a caper, no idea on the steel, but it plain works. I bet I’ve processed 50 animals since he gave it to me, this year did my entire elk by myself with it. It did start to get dull at the very end, but I was able to make it through. Great knife!
Moore makers are really good little pocket knives, I want to say they are D2steel, I may be lying to you though.

OP
Newtosavage
I had no doubt that all I had to do was ask the question, and sit back and read. Not sure I'll ever be a "knife guy" but I do appreciate learning from all you who are. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I have a lot of research ahead of me (when the power is on!) :D

Buck197

WKR
I had no doubt that all I had to do was ask the question, and sit back and read. Not sure I'll ever be a "knife guy" but I do appreciate learning from all you who are. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I have a lot of research ahead of me (when the power is on!) :D
Respectfully, mostly its about the steel, some hold an edge better than others, some easier to sharpen, so id look closely at that, ergonomics, if it isnt comfy in your hand,id just pass it up, blade design, certain shapes to.a blade can make certain chores simpler...Back to steel...if it wont hold an edge, or is a tougher steel to sharpen, youll likely not put the effort in everytime to keep it where it needs to be.

OP
Newtosavage
I have no problems sharpening even the toughest steel. Grew up learning from an old timer who was a pro at it. So good steel, ergonomics and something worth handing down are all considerations for me.

Buck197

WKR

I was wrong Moore makers are 1095 high carbon

nobody

WKR
I use a havalon and an ESEE Izula 2. The havalon does the majority of the work. The izula is when I might pry with it.
+1 on this setup. The Havalon is in my pack and the Izula 2 is my neck knife. The 1095 steel isn't anything special, but man you just can't break the darn thing! It's easy to sharpen and it's by far the sharpest knife out of the box I've ever purchased. And it's lightweight and great for hard use.

The Benchmade hunt series is sweet, but good luck putting an edge back on that S90V without a real sharpener. You can get a worksharp guided field sharpener to maintain the edge as you go, but it takes up space and weighs a bit. And you'll still need to throw it on an Edge Pro or something when you get home to put a new bevel on it after a couple hunts.

for $100 total, buy the Havalon and the Esee and be happy for life!

jt4

WKR
+1 on this setup. The Havalon is in my pack and the Izula 2 is my neck knife.

Can you explain the point of a neck knife. I've seen some with paracord or similar having the neck knife hang behind their bino harness but never got the reason besides just being there for easy access?

nobody

WKR
Can you explain the point of a neck knife. I've seen some with paracord or similar having the neck knife hang behind their bino harness but never got the reason besides just being there for easy access?
Some people do it because it's "cool and tactical," But I like it for easy access. I absolutely HATE carrying anything on my waist, so a belt sheath is not an option for me. Having it on my neck means I don't have to dig for it in my pack with bloody hands because I forgot to pull it out when I grabbed something else. I'm working with my havalon, need a beefier knife for some reason, reach up and grab the Esee and pull it out of the sheath and use it. When I'm done, I just put it back and go back to work. I also carry a ceramic hone with me and use it to touch up the edge before it goes back in my sheath. That way, it's ready to go when I need it. Honestly, it's just one less thing to fall to the bottom of my pack.

Reactions: jt4

sndmn11

WKR
And because I'm cheap, those Havalon blades are easily re sharpened.

Haha that's what I do! Strop on a steel and it keeps things as safe as they possible can be. I'm using a Spyderco mule in pma11 and a havalon type blade holder. Both of which I put cork handles on to get the lightweight and an actual grip boxes checked.

If I were getting something ready to go out of the box, inexpensive, full handled, I'd grab a knives of alaska yukon.
@feanor is making me some s90v blanks patterned after one, but I think he can attest to the KOA version having the ability to get wicked sharp, and I think it is around 4oz.

PXL_20201015_000904602.jpgPXL_20201025_184256961.jpgIMG_20200520_123439.jpg

Last edited:
I used to be a knife guy...always looking for better.

Until I used a Havalon, now that's all I bother carrying for using on critters. I usually have a folder in my pocket for camp chores, etc. but for cutting and skinning caribou and moose...that Havalon is money.
I feel like the blades break too easily. I have lost some tips in deer and elk and I won’t ever use them again.

Gobbler36

WKR
Just picked up a Tyto Fannin 3.0 on the classifieds here looks to be a good setup can’t attest to the sharpness or edge retention as I haven’t used it but they get some good reviews