School me on lightweight knives (for quartering game in the field)

T28w

WKR
+1 on this setup. The Havalon is in my pack and the Izula 2 is my neck knife. The 1095 steel isn't anything special, but man you just can't break the darn thing! It's easy to sharpen and it's by far the sharpest knife out of the box I've ever purchased. And it's lightweight and great for hard use.

The Benchmade hunt series is sweet, but good luck putting an edge back on that S90V without a real sharpener. You can get a worksharp guided field sharpener to maintain the edge as you go, but it takes up space and weighs a bit. And you'll still need to throw it on an Edge Pro or something when you get home to put a new bevel on it after a couple hunts.

for $100 total, buy the Havalon and the Esee and be happy for life!
Which in the hunt series is s90v? I have 4 and none are s90v

lamp_ak

FNG
If you are wanted a really nice knife that is a fixed blade look at the kestrel Ovis. My brother bought one last year and used it on his mule deer. I was impressed

If you want light weight and a replaceable blade knife look into the Tyto 1.1. I picked one up last year. I had never had a replaceable blade k ice but wanted light and something g I didn’t have to sharpen. I did 1.5 mule deer with one blade before I decided I needed a sharper blade.
2nd the tyto. The feel of a solid fixed blade can’t be beat but when it comes to having a sharp knife, ALWAYS, at hand, replaceable blades are hard to beat. The tyto is light and doesn’t have pins that can break like a havalon. 3 deer, 3 moose and a bison since I bought my tyto, really happy with it.

I will definitely be trying to score one of the new
Spyderco Mules coming out soon(ish?).

Preferably the ZMax but the S45vn sounds good too. Seems to me that having a fixed knife that should not need any field sharpening would pair well with a replaceable blade folder

Tink

FNG
I use a Havalon Talon. it would be considered a fixed blade however the blades are interchangeable. everything from a gut hook to a 9" fillet knife. It is my understanding that the company that makes them got their start in the medical industry making scalpels.

OP
Newtosavage
I'm not gonna lie, the Randy Newberg/Gerber knife with the tendon/joint blade is pretty interesting for a folder. Not exactly ultralight at 6.6 oz. but that's not bad either for a mid-size two blade folder.

ColeyG

WKR
Get six Little Vicki's for under $40. If you get orange handles you might only need 1. I bagged up a cow elk (gutless but did retrieve heart) just to prove a point to my hunting buds. No whining necessary if you lose it. Weighs less than your toothbrush
Yep. Another vote for the Victorinox paring knife. Light, durable, sharpens easily, comes in orange and red, and did I mentioned they are light and super cheap. I buy them by the six pack and give them away to others while hunting (land owners, friends, etc.) Best $7 piece of hunting gear I own by far.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Out of curiosity, I pulled out a ceramic stone I used to carry for sharpening lesser blade steels in the field and used it on my S90V folder. It has been around a month since I touched the edge, use has been rather light and it had a very good working edge (would slice paper and push cut double corrugated cardboard), but would not shave. After under 1 minute on the fine side of the stone the knife leaves a completely bald spot on my arm. From years of experience I will say that a 440C or 154CM knife would have needed a complete sharpening 3 weeks ago (Victorinox, Gerber, and Benchmade, so I know the heat treat was decent) and a D2 (Benchmade) blade would only have made it a little longer. D2 also never touched up well for me.

As those of us who use supper steels have been accused of thinking dull knives are sharp, I will lob a grenade back and say those who pontificate about how hard supper steels are to sharpen simply lack skill at sharpening and need to stop using forgiving and inferior materials as a crutch to mask incompetence.... Ok, not really, but as mud has already been thrown I figured it might be fun to sling some back, truth and good will be damned...

On a serious note, I might start carrying the 3 ounces for that Spider Co. stone again. I had let all the bloviating about how hard the supper steels are to sharpen keep me from even trying on a pocket stone as I though the only reason I was having success was quality bench stones. Clearly I was a fool for not trying it two years ago, but this thread is what got me thinking about it, so thanks to all who contributed.

MtnMuley

WKR
Benchmade Altitude can be found for $150 at times and would get my vote on what you've described you're looking for. Great steel that holds an edge and ergonomically fits the hard Great. Lightweight as well. I've completely broke elk twice with one ad my only knife, and the edge retention after both elk was about as good as I've seen.

87TT

WKR
I am a big fan of the outdoor edge replacable blade knife. Inexpensive, pretty light, and if it dulls, just slap another blade in.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^
I even stopped using my Grandfather's knife that he made before I was born after using this. Removed the feet from elk with OE and no saw.