School Me on Outer Layers: Synthetic Insulation/Fleece

WESTERN VA HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I mainly hunt whitetails on all day stands in the East. Looking for some QUIET outer layers that will keep me warm on all day sits. I have merino base layers and other mid layers I wear to walk.

I always pack my outer layers then put them on when I get on stand. I need something fairly packable, since I'll be backpack hunting.

Our rifle season usually runs in the teens and sometimes single digits. We get rain and wind often, so want to go the synthetic or fleece route. There are so many different manufacturers with so many different insulation that it just confuses me.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Welcome.

Lots of answers to your question and I personally think you can be pretty comfortable stand hunting in anything from carhart bibs up to a $1500 sitka gear rig, provide you are smart about it. Here are few thoughts based on my hunts in NY and PA.

- chemical heaters. Awesome. Use them almost every hunt.
- boots. Something with insulation is essential. Boot blankets by ice breakers or arctic are great.
- headgear. Watch caps neck gaiters and balaclavas later in the season. Keep the noodle warm.
- bibs. I am now a fan of bibs over pants. They just work for warmth when static. I size mine up to go over whatever I am wearing tot he stand and leave room for extra layers underneath including puffy pants.
- jackets. I like parka style. Not a big fan of hoods that block vision and hearing. I size them like bibs, larger to go over other layers and puffy insulation.
- hands. Thick gloves don’t work for me on stand hunts. I prefer to use jacket pockets or a hand muff.

Here are some thoughts on brands I know.

Sitka - the most sophisticated and expensive stuff out there. Their incinerator stuff is basically a wearable sleeping bag. The fanatic line is the flagship of their whitetail system. Quiet, windproof and warm with fleece outer and a design that is probably top in the industry for whitetail gear. If they have a downside, it is Burs sticking to the fleece and the price.

First lite - sanctuary is their warmest. It was too warm for most of my hunting which is typically 20-40*. Not as windproof as Sitka but fairly warm. The new solitude line is a step down in warmth but a refinement in design. I picked up a set for this year and really liked them. The hardwarmer pocket on the bibs and pass through on the jacket are great. Super quiet. Cheaper than Sitka but not cheap. The main gripe against the first lite stuff is it isn’t as wind or waterproof as others.

Cahela’s - their Wooltimate stuff used to be a big crowd favorite. Mine is great but it was bought long before the bass pro deal so not sure the new stuff is the same or as good. I have some fleece from them that I still use and love.

Carhart - I bet more whitetails get popped by carhart wearing bubbas each year than anything else. Their stuff is plenty good and dual purpose for work wear. Only issue I have is scent control. My carhart jacket usually smells like whatever I was doing in it last - burning brush, chainsaw oil, etc.

If I were looking to spend some $ I would check out sitka fanatic or FL solitude. Both get me thru the core of the northeast whitetail season with temps 20-40*. You can layer under them if temps really drop.

notacos4u

FNG
for baselayers, I prefer my Firstlite merino wool, they wick moisture really well and don’t retain odor, within reason. Being in the military, we mainly use synthetics and fleece and I would much prefer my merino for most of the base layering system.
as far as outer layer, I have extensive experience with Sitka and Firstlite....

sitka: they are very well thought out with the extra features they provide... they are really well thought out in practice, although I am not a huge fan of the cross body zipper on the Fanatic, but LOVE the hand warmer pouch. I will say their fanatic hoodie is one of my favorite pieces of hunting gear.

Firstlite: I prefer their gear as I feel it is quieter, but not as well thought out and don’t have as many creature comforts as Sitka. I feel my sanctuary is warmer and “lighter” than my fanatic set. example of better thought out.... the call pouch on my sanctuary, if I put my call in and bend over, it has a tendency to fall out as the fanatic it stays put.