School me on puffy's

I have never owned a puffy and not sure what the whole rage is, but it seems like they pack down real easily?

Im looking at buying the uncompaghre 2.0 or the Catalyst jacket from first lite but not sure the advantages/disadvantages to either so any help would be MUCH appreciated.

For you puffy owners, when do you throw on a puffy? why and for what reason would you buy a puffy jacket?

Am I dumb?

I put my puffy on when I get to my hike end point and am soaked with sweat and am gonna stop moving. I dry out instead of letting myself get cold from all that sweat and inactivity. Also when glassing, when it starts to get dark, or whenever else.

406unltd

WKR
Well I use them when I am stopped somewhere for extended periods in 40-50 temps. Then during rifle season it becomes part of the daily wear quite a bit. They are light and provide an awesome amount of warmth. Of the three I’ve used they all have gave me decent protection from light moisture as well.

jolemons

WKR
Wondering why you think you should buy one if you are having trouble seeing the value in a puffy? Maybe it doesn't fit your hunting style? What is your objective for purchasing one?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
switchback7
Wondering why you think you should buy one if you are having trouble seeing the value in a puffy? Maybe it doesn't fit your hunting style? What is your objective for purchasing one?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I didnt say i had trouble in seeing value in a puffy? lol i had some questions, so i asked.

TxxAgg

WKR
You can find a good deal for a quality puffy at Eddie Bauer or REI.

bozeman

WKR
I second the Eddie Bauer......I have tried many of the name brand ones and the only one I would go back to if I spend ALOT more time out west/northwest would be a Kifaru LPP......heavier than the rest, but bombproof. I got an EB on sale for $69 and it doubles as a pillow! Best of luck.

*zap*

WKR
Uncomphagre is hard to best for what it is......light, fairly warm, e-z packable outer layer with a warm hood for quick warm up when the temps dip a bit or you stop moving and sit for a few. If it is actually cold you will want a warmer jacket.

Mt Al

WKR
Same same same: love it, use it after hiking and when static in a blind or glassing. Put a waterproof/breathable shell over it and you become wicked warm quickly.

Lots of good ones out there, but having Primaloft Gold as the insulation and a well designed hood with lots of adjustment makes a big difference for me. It helps on predator hunts when it's zero or below.

OP
switchback7
would be be useful for putting on at the treestand after sweating on the walk in?

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I put my puffy on when I get to my hike end point and am soaked with sweat and am gonna stop moving. I dry out instead of letting myself get cold from all that sweat and inactivity. Also when glassing, when it starts to get dark, or whenever else.
This is a great answer to how or when to use a puffy. This is how I use them and it makes or breaks a hunt. If you are deep and get cold and don’t have one it’s a fire or leave. I like them at camp also. I pack one along just in case even if I know I probably won’t need it. The couple pounds is worth it for me.