School me on puffy's

You said school, so here is a more in depth breakdown. Maybe it will get you to look outside your first two options.
1. Down vs Synthetic
A. Down is lighter, more durable (will keep its lofting ability longer), and warmer per weight than synthetic. Typically more expensive. Good ones have 800 FFP or higher, and should be hydrophobic treated. If down does get saturated, it's pretty much useless and takes a lot to dry out.
Baffles (to hold the down in place) can be done two main ways: sewn through or boxed. Sewn through baffles make cold (essentially zero insulation) spots everywhere a baffle is sewn. Boxed do not have that issue, but are made by few companies and are typically double the price.
B. Synthetic is heavier, breaks down over time (depending on the type), and weighs more to get the same effect. Good synthetic doesn't require baffles/quilting to keep it in place, so that isn't an issue. It handles moisture very well in most cases, and dries quickly.

My favorite synthetic puffy is the Kifaru LPP. I had a FL Uncompahgre 1.0 and it was pretty unimpressive. Very warm at first, but after a couple of seasons the insulation broke down and it wasn't very warm. Totally trashed after three seasons. The thing is literally just polyester everything; there's nothing special about it.
When I end up with $600 to blow on a down puffy, I'm going to have Nunatak make me a Kobuk parka. It's the rough equivalent of wearing a 10 degree sleeping bag. Feathered Friends makes some similar quality ones. If more than you're looking for, just find something with 800 fill down or higher, and a good quality shell (Pertex is good).
Keep in mind, puffys are generally terrible for treestand hunting because they're extremely noisy, especially in cold weather. Not good for bowhunting except for glassing.

Pro tip: If you use a puffy as a mid layer make sure the outer garment doesn’t squeeze it too much or it will loose it’s loft and warmth value.

OP
switchback7
You said school, so here is a more in depth breakdown. Maybe it will get you to look outside your first two options.
1. Down vs Synthetic
A. Down is lighter, more durable (will keep its lofting ability longer), and warmer per weight than synthetic. Typically more expensive. Good ones have 800 FFP or higher, and should be hydrophobic treated. If down does get saturated, it's pretty much useless and takes a lot to dry out.
Baffles (to hold the down in place) can be done two main ways: sewn through or boxed. Sewn through baffles make cold (essentially zero insulation) spots everywhere a baffle is sewn. Boxed do not have that issue, but are made by few companies and are typically double the price.
B. Synthetic is heavier, breaks down over time (depending on the type), and weighs more to get the same effect. Good synthetic doesn't require baffles/quilting to keep it in place, so that isn't an issue. It handles moisture very well in most cases, and dries quickly.

My favorite synthetic puffy is the Kifaru LPP. I had a FL Uncompahgre 1.0 and it was pretty unimpressive. Very warm at first, but after a couple of seasons the insulation broke down and it wasn't very warm. Totally trashed after three seasons. The thing is literally just polyester everything; there's nothing special about it.
When I end up with $600 to blow on a down puffy, I'm going to have Nunatak make me a Kobuk parka. It's the rough equivalent of wearing a 10 degree sleeping bag. Feathered Friends makes some similar quality ones. If more than you're looking for, just find something with 800 fill down or higher, and a good quality shell (Pertex is good).
Keep in mind, puffys are generally terrible for treestand hunting because they're extremely noisy, especially in cold weather. Not good for bowhunting except for glassing.

Awesome info, Path. I appreciate it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had the uncompaghre (not the 2.0) and I wasn’t really impressed so I sold it off, it was a neat jacket, packed into its own pocket, had micro fleece in good areas and felt good wearing it but it just wasn’t that warm. I suppose it would work for a non winter jacket but I just didn’t stay very warm in it.

ianpadron

WKR
I had the uncompaghre (not the 2.0) and I wasn’t really impressed so I sold it off, it was a neat jacket, packed into its own pocket, had micro fleece in good areas and felt good wearing it but it just wasn’t that warm. I suppose it would work for a non winter jacket but I just didn’t stay very warm in it.

Agree that the Uncompaghre left a lot to be desired in the warmth department. I actually bought a second one after moving the first thinking that maybe I got a fluke...but nope, not warm AT ALL.

I have a bit of an obsession with Puffy jackets, and my 2 favs are the Kifaru LPP and Stone Glacier Grumman. Two very different beasts, but both awesome!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Agree that the Uncompaghre left a lot to be desired in the warmth department. I actually bought a second one after moving the first thinking that maybe I got a fluke...but nope, not warm AT ALL.

I have a bit of an obsession with Puffy jackets, and my 2 favs are the Kifaru LPP and Stone Glacier Grumman. Two very different beasts, but both awesome!

I have several too including the kifaru LPP, I really like the Patagonia puffy pullovers but not sure they are making them this year.

bradb

WKR
Puffy is very good for tree stand bow hunting as a mid layer. Heck I use a light puffy as a good to bum around jacket when its cold out most of the time. You live in MN buy a solid color and you will use it all the time not just hunting

Honyock

WKR
Warmth to weight ratio is one reason. As others have said, when you get to where you are going to glass pull it out and put it on. You're not going to wear one on a twenty mile death march with a pack on. Think of it as insulation that you put between your base layer and soft shell.

Lowg08

WKR
I actually have two. I have the kuiu kenai ultra to wear under my soft shell and I have a Sitka kelvin I can wear over my soft shell but under my dew point rain suit or any other combination. I just started wearing puffy items this year. Now I will not hunt without one. I wish my Sitka was a little quieter but it’s really for late season. That may be something to consider is the exterior cloth and noise level

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting/Fishing Idaho. Those mornings are Cold when you're not moving much. I have had several different ones from knock offs to Patagonia. For hunting my Favorite is Kuiu Super Down Pro. It has baffled areas that have more down in more exposed areas. I got luck and found decent priced one on eBay. Honestly seems to be warmer that the others I've had. Just saying I love mine.

I have a Patagonia with Primaloft that was given to me and I love it. Very warm for how crazy thin it is (same thickness as a hoodie, so it doesn't look like that big 'puffy' jacket most are). Very warm, packs down almost like down into a tiny stuff sack, and I can throw it in my washing machine. Warm when wet, dries modestly quick. Best free gear I've ever been given.

I also have a Kifaru LPP that should be showing up this week. I've really liked moving away from Down in some applications. I like the warmth when synthetic gear is wet, and Primaloft and Climashield Apex do very good as modern fills. Down still has perks but I like a synthetic puffy now. It's easy to sweat under a puffy and I don't want that moisture to kill the insulation.

ozyclint

WKR
I got the Nunatak PCT jacket and pants. I had every intention on using them in NZ this year but that idea got shot to shit.

The build quality is awesome and they offer to customize certain features.

I bought the UA Alpine Ops puffy jacket and pants on a killer Black Friday sale two years ago and love them. Very quiet for puffies and would definitely and do definitely use them for bow hunting in a tree stand. I think they’re 800 fill power...maybe 850. Warm, light and quiet. Their sizing runs one size large though. If you find them on sale it’s a killer deal. I gave I think $160 For the jacket and $90 for the pants

wade0731

FNG
Treated down is best. High loft. Light weight...traps a ton of heat. Don't wear it walking you'll sweat only when sitting or standing still. It's acting as insulation like the insulation in your walls. Traps hot air and keeps you warm. You don't need these big name down jackets. Just look for the lightest and highest loft that's treated.

I have had both Stone Glacier Grumman and KUIU super down pro and the super down pro has more features, better fit, and more durable fabric. Also, the loft is more so seems to be a little warmer.

OeauxMy

FNG
If you are in the market for one check steepandcheap.com. Just go to men’s - jackets - down... and tune it in what your size. You can get some really quality, name brand (marmot, patagonia, north face) stuff for a really good prices

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
If I were to get another puffy I'd make sure that it's windproof. I still get pretty cold with my Uncompaghre when staying in place since wind seems to cut right through it. Ideally I'd like to just put on one layer when stopping instead of having to put on a puffy and a windproof outer layer.

Lowg08

WKR
I had really contemplated the Sitka kelvin down WS. I decided to go kelvin puffy and Sitka stratus jacket. It gives me more options or I can wear a gradient set.