School me on the Big Island :)

I'm planning on spending nine days (not including travel days) on the Big Island this March. The first day is booked as I have a private tour set up for Fissure 8 and Volcano National Park. But I'm totally free after that. This is a solo trip so I can pretty much set my own itinerary. I'm thinking of spending four days on the Hilo side, on or around VNP and then moving to the Kona area. I am not interested in lounging about in some resort for a week eating and drinking. I'm just not a 5* resort kind of guy. Been there done that got the bored out of my mind t-shirt! Although I'm not against spending one day lounging around on a beach :). A couple of questions I'm hoping some here may help with......

-Is it worth backpacking and staying in a backcountry camp in or around VNP for a night or two? Looks like several are now re-opened.
-If not what would be a good place to base camp at in or around VNP? Campsite/B&B/Condo ideas?
-Any good lodging once on the Kona side? A kitchen, a place to park the rental car and good access for exploring the area is all I really need.
-Any must see things I should plan on seeing/doing?
-What are the best day hikes?

Being an armchair geologist the volcano(s) is my main purpose for the trip but after that am open to just about anything.

Mahala in advance!

Lived on the big island for 2 years and didn’t see it all.

Must sees.

Green sands/south point.

Wapio valley. After a rainstorm it’s unfrickin real. 2000ft waterfalls spilling into the valley.

Makalawena beach.. been to beaches all over the world on all the oceans..still tops.

Go to the top of Mauna Kea. Especially if there’s snow.

You can goat hunt all over.

Poihiki is pretty cool spot. Keep an eye out for feral fruit trees.

Hit up the Hilo farmers market. Dicker with the phillipino’s. Try rambutans and strawberry papayas

A really awesome hike is to go into waimanu valley but do know it’s pretty gnarly.. you’ll want to make sure a big rain system isn’t forecasted. We got 40+ inches of rain one weekend. Nutso if ur in the bush

69’s beach is fun, you can hike to hapuna.

Honoli’i is a fun beach to cruise for part of a day. If you see a big tall haole guy at the lifeguard in his late 50’s tell him I say howzit.

There’s a really cool beach to overnight to but I can’t remember the name of.. it’s between volcano and south point.

Keep in mind anywhere in the south is windy as and a bit annoying. Plenty places to camp just down from the jump spot at green sands.

Lava pots near rainbow falls are fun. Be careful, a friend jumped in and he drowned.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
I live there but live on the north side and don't get to Volcano side much but there is a campground you can just pull into a spot and park, I believe a ranger comes around and collects a daily fee but with the government shutdown not sure how things are running down there. Ndbowhunter listed some good stuff, definitely Mauna Kea if you're into geology, spring turkey opens up there too along with a couple different archery areas.

What’s the name of that point?

We hiked in and surfed it on Kona winds.. it’s east of punalu’u

Punalu’u is kinda fun spot too for a day.

Honakahau harbour has good fishing right from the rocks.

The Hawai’i botanical Gardens near papaikou is really cool.

There’s a big 400 foot waterfall near there as well.

Be careful with valuables in your car. Don’t get lippy with some big mokes if you happen to be off the beaten path a bit. Do try some spam Masubi, a loco moco, Kona mud pie ice cream and some huli huli chicken.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Lived on the big island for 2 years and didn’t see it all.

Must sees.

Green sands/south point.

Wapio valley. After a rainstorm it’s unfrickin real. 2000ft waterfalls spilling into the valley.

Makalawena beach.. been to beaches all over the world on all the oceans..still tops.

Go to the top of Mauna Kea. Especially if there’s snow.

You can goat hunt all over.

Poihiki is pretty cool spot. Keep an eye out for feral fruit trees.

Hit up the Hilo farmers market. Dicker with the phillipino’s. Try rambutans and strawberry papayas

A really awesome hike is to go into waimanu valley but do know it’s pretty gnarly.. you’ll want to make sure a big rain system isn’t forecasted. We got 40+ inches of rain one weekend. Nutso if ur in the bush

69’s beach is fun, you can hike to hapuna.

Honoli’i is a fun beach to cruise for part of a day. If you see a big tall haole guy at the lifeguard in his late 50’s tell him I say howzit.

There’s a really cool beach to overnight to but I can’t remember the name of.. it’s between volcano and south point.

Keep in mind anywhere in the south is windy as and a bit annoying. Plenty places to camp just down from the jump spot at green sands.

Lava pots near rainbow falls are fun. Be careful, a friend jumped in and he drowned.

THIS !!!!

There used to be a place out of Kona where you could swim with the manta rays at night, pretty cool experience. Also if you're into native habits and birds, visit the Hakalou Forest National Wildlife Refuge on the north flank of Mauna Kea. You can stand in one place, and if you are lucky, see 5 species of native endangered Hawaiian forest birds.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

It's still there. If you want the best experience schedule an excursion to see the mantas with Jack's dive locker in Kona.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

i love the big island and there are some great airbnb condos/apartments for not a lot of money. some of them have decent midweek and single night deals if you are there. the manta ray thing is pretty cool when you can catch it right but i understand it has been spotty lately. when i am there i can snorkel all day long. it really is that amazing. anywhere you can get in the water on west side of the island is amazing. Waipi'o valley is amazing too. and there is some backpacking you can do there.

Have fun. I swear when i am there time stands still. It is one of the only places where i feel truly relaxed.

Is there still a nude beach the north side of 69's??

Some fossil d!kks for sure, but occasionally talent too.

remember teaching a gal how to shoot fish onetime over there on Christmas Day.

gwl79902

WKR
I grew up in kona and have been going back most years (20 ish). A cool camp is at hapuna state park. They rent little open air shacks. The kitchen area has pots pans and a fridge. So all you need is beach gear and sleeping gear. I would take a tarp becuse I always get wind and rain when I am there. If you go you will not beleive that as it seems that the place has not seen rain for years. Cool place to base out of and nice to just hang out. The staff is cold at first but in time they will warm up.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/hawaii/hapuna-beach-state-recreation-area/

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the name of that point?

We hiked in and surfed it on Kona winds.. it’s east of punalu’u

Punalu’u is kinda fun spot too for a day.

Honakahau harbour has good fishing right from the rocks.

The Hawai’i botanical Gardens near papaikou is really cool.

There’s a big 400 foot waterfall near there as well.

Be careful with valuables in your car. Don’t get lippy with some big mokes if you happen to be off the beaten path a bit. Do try some spam Masubi, a loco moco, Kona mud pie ice cream and some huli huli chicken.

Pohoiki? It got ran over by the latest lava flow but it also formed a new black sand beach. The Manta dives are pretty popular now days and quite a few operations offer them I believe. lots of fishing along all the shorelines as long as theres access.

69s ha ha, the other beach was 67s, still there but not sure if its still being used "that way" he,he.

These guys know more about the tourist stuff than I do, I live in the country and stay away from all that except for work, mostly just hunt or fish.

Hope you have a great time.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing to consider is going fishing. Kona has great fishing for Marlin, Tuna, Mahi Mahi, Spearfish, Ono, etc. When I was there about 15 years ago we chartered a boat for 1/2 day and went after Marlin. We didn't catch any marlin but caught quite a few nice Mahi Mahi. It was a lot of fun. Since the water is so deep around the Kona area, you get more time for fishing and less time motoring to the deep water.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I believe Hilo is a good spot for tuna fishing, also mahi mahi and ono/wahoo but don't quote me on this as I've never fished there. Kona is known for marlin and mahi mahi.

glass eye

FNG
I’m gonna be on the Hilo side in February. Is there any hunting or fishing over there? I plan on taking my bow!
There is hunting on all sides of the island and it's not a long drive from one side to the other. Check the regs for where and when. The road going up to Mauna Kea observatory might still be blocked in Feb by protestors. I just got back and it's still going on.