School me on the SO Cimmaron

archp625

WKR
I want to buy this tent this week. I think I want the light version with just one door. Should I get the screen. I don't plan on getting a nest. I will mainly use this as a fall/winter tipi. I doubt I will use it during the summer. If I were to camp in the summer it would be with my family and we would truck camp with the tent we have.

Another question is getting a stove. I just ordered a Thermarest XTherm and have a WM Badger. When do you start using a stove and should I get one or hold out?

Thanks.

Trial153

WKR
Just me, the second door is really nice, especially for winter time with stove and wood stash. Otherwise you can go wrong with a Cim. Unless your summer camping, I would skip the screen

reaper

WKR
Fall/winter no need for a screen.
Stove is nice when it getting cold at night or drying wet clothes (go with a large size with the Cimarron)

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

ill be using the badger, xtherm and Cim Light this year for September archery. First time using this sleep system so i cant comment on the effectiveness but given that we have each selected the same equipment then maybe we are heading in the right direction (or maybe we're spending too much time on rokslide haha)

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I second the double door advice. I pack the stove if temps will be consistently below freezing. Really nice to have when temps are in the teens, for comfort not survival. I have a WM 10 degree bag.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I chose the single door lite and no complaints yes a second door would be nice but I wanted lite with two not the end of the world. If you would be going 3 often and no stove a double would be more important in my opinion as to screen no need unless using during bug infested times. On the stove if wet or temps hitting the 30s I’m bringing it. The lite is good compromise before jumping to the dcf version.935D9EE4-0ACE-4DEA-B94C-705F03DDC4BF.jpeg6CED5894-44F2-471A-B02E-D5FEC484DA9D.jpeg53412987-676E-4258-B91C-C31DA2435697.jpeg4D6DE556-4DB0-4204-818A-3CCF446E4D72.jpegF3A88CD3-2249-4598-870C-BA3801A73289.jpeg8E14309A-0951-4F09-99FE-D285E7726337.jpeg

Last edited:
I like double door because I’m tall and need to sleep length-wise. Which means whoever is with me is also length-wise opposite of me. So we each have our own door without crawling over each other.

The screen/nest is up to how comfortable you are with creeper crawlers. I’ve hunted the arctic in August without it. Within a couple minutes, all the mosquitoes make their way to the apex and you smush em or chase em out and they’re not a problem after that. I’ve been in one area where my wife insisted on the nest and there were literally thousands of spiders once the sun went down. It was unforeseen and I’m glad I had it. I also will use it if I’m ever anywhere with snakes.

I pack a stove whenever I can make it work with weight. Ive lives in extreme cold my whole life and I’m not too tough to say that I’ll fire it up if it’s 40 degrees out. It’s just a damn good way to start the day.

slatty

WKR
I like the double doors. I don't have a lot of experience in buggy weather with mine, i've mostly camped late season with it. I do have a half nest for summer, especially for summer camping. I've always thought that if you need screens, you should just have a nest. But I don't know how good the screens are at actually keeping bugs out. If they made a single screen door, I would have got that, but it was either two screens or no screens. Anyways i'm happy with the double doors and half nest. I have a large stove. It's great and so versatile.IMG_4836.jpeg

CO-AJ

WKR
I'm waiting delivery on mine. I went with the DCF, so no screen and a single door. I am excited to get the tent and try it out. SO has some pretty lengthy lead times, I ordered mine in late May and I am told expect it in late July maybe even early August.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
ill be using the badger, xtherm and Cim Light this year for September archery. First time using this sleep system so i cant comment on the effectiveness but given that we have each selected the same equipment then maybe we are heading in the right direction (or maybe we're spending too much time on rokslide haha)
I think a little of both. haha. I have found that most people on here know there stuff and if you start to see the same item brought up over and over its probably good. Its amazing how if a product doesn't work people let everyone know. Pretty nice community we have here.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Thanks everyone for the pictures and suggestions. I am just trying to make sure I don't buy one and wished I added this or didn't add this. I don't want to make someone on here get a good deal on one.

CO-AJ

WKR
I too went SO and WM. I did the Cimarron in DCF and a Versalite bag. I am curious to hear about stoves. I was also thinking the SO U Turn Medium, but stumbled across Winnerwell where it folds together rather than having to assemble it. I think the weight is a fraction more than the SO, but it just folds out for quick setup. Back to the topic however, the SO and WM combo is absolutely top notch.

CO-AJ

WKR
Also got a medium uturn stove as well I got that awhile ago through go hunt. I havent used it yet. I put it together in the living room. I plan on burning it in this weekend.
Am curious how the medium u-turn stove works for you. Keep us informed.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Am curious how the medium u-turn stove works for you. Keep us informed.
I will do so. I have a hunt coming up the first part of November in Montana I will be using it. I plan on trying to get out an use it around NW MO before then to break it in.

Trial153

WKR
I used a medium Uturn in sawtooth this year, seems to work well for the size of the shelter. The saw tooth is slightly larger the the Cim. I think the Med Uturn is good choice considering its size.

Trees91

WKR
Those of you with the cim lite do you have a guy out anchor on the wall opposite the zipper(where the second zipper would be)? My cim lite doesn’t have one and it seems like a big wall to not have a guy line.