School Me On Tikka

z987k

WKR
Tikkas also make a really good action for medium length cartridges you want to get everything out of. Re-barrel into a SAUM or WSM, run a really long bullet seated way past what a short action can take.

Tmac

WKR
There is no need to modify the tikka only wants and desires to either modify aesthetics or enhance its capabilities……2003 versus 2021 only change is the stock like myself is heavily abused🤣🤙 still shoots lights out 19 yrs later….this gun has seen alotttt of mountain time with zero failure💯
…and the recoil pad, ejection port, rail attachment added screw holes, metal bolt shroud, steel recoil lug. May have forgot some. I have had one old T3 recoil lug problem. Otherwise mine have been perfect too.

…and the recoil pad, ejection port, rail attachment added screw holes, metal bolt shroud, steel recoil lug. May have forgot some. I have had one old T3 recoil lug problem. Otherwise mine have been perfect too.

The T3X models come with metal bolt shroud and steel recoil lug (and better recoil bad, albeit only marginally better than the old T3 pad).

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
Guys need to spend money on trivial crap. Someone somewhere suggests in a post that plastic trigger guards and bolt shrouds could conceivably be a liability and everyone is buying titanium replacements, or the twist rate is completely retarded if you want to shoot really long target bullets at animals at 8000 yards so you need an $800 barrel which will require a $700 dollar stock to shave off those three ounces that are ruining your life. If the internent didn't exist tikkas would go un modified, dudes would be happy, and we could afford gas instead. I bought a t3x compact, spent an additional 18 dollars for the vertical grip and 120 to have the barrel threaded and timed for my can because I use those things. I'm convinced that there is no other amount of money I could spend on it to make it shoot better or be more functional. I should also disclose that I'm mostly posting out of irritation with myself since I'm currently dumping a bunch of money into a frivolous rifle build which will, in the best case scenario, shoot as well as my relatively inexpensive tikka. I'm dumb. Earth sucks. Get the tikka.

I replaced the bottom plastic and trigger guard with a bottom metal piece from mountain tactical. I noticed no difference in shooting performance but I do appreciate the larger trigger guard.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Guys need to spend money on trivial crap. Someone somewhere suggests in a post that plastic trigger guards and bolt shrouds could conceivably be a liability and everyone is buying titanium replacements, or the twist rate is completely retarded if you want to shoot really long target bullets at animals at 8000 yards so you need an $800 barrel which will require a $700 dollar stock to shave off those three ounces that are ruining your life. If the internent didn't exist tikkas would go un modified, dudes would be happy, and we could afford gas instead. I bought a t3x compact, spent an additional 18 dollars for the vertical grip and 120 to have the barrel threaded and timed for my can because I use those things. I'm convinced that there is no other amount of money I could spend on it to make it shoot better or be more functional. I should also disclose that I'm mostly posting out of irritation with myself since I'm currently dumping a bunch of money into a frivolous rifle build which will, in the best case scenario, shoot as well as my relatively inexpensive tikka. I'm dumb. Earth sucks. Get the tikka.
Since you like spending money…I’ll just post this for you! You’re already more than half way there. If you really want that high priced custom build to seem like a waste of money, screw on a prefit and get a AG composite stock. I was talking to someone last night and challenged them to show me a 5000+ rifle that would out shoot and hunt this $1750 7saum. 😉

Attachments

• 44B6522A-DBE5-43E5-9478-1845FCD86C83.jpeg
    44B6522A-DBE5-43E5-9478-1845FCD86C83.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 109

Stalker69

WKR
Your contradicting your self there, you know ! Lol

CJ19

WKR
I bought a tikka t3x lite ss in 270. It shoots absolutely fantastic thus far straight from the factory. I would say the accuracy is the best thing about it with the smooth action the 2nd best thing. While the stock from the factory is completely functional and fine, if someone told me i had to replace something on the rifle, that would be the first thing. As far as straight factory rifles go, my tikka has exceeded expectations. My father has 2 or 3 in different tikka models that perform almost identical to mine. The accuracy and consistency of the tikka product seems to be excellent.

MattB

WKR
Or you can leave it factory and still shoot as good as most customs.

Randy
Yeah. I did replace the stock recoil pad with a Limb Saver and that made a substantial difference, but beyond that my gun is pretty well stock.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I have an add-on question. Are the T3x receivers for all calibers offered by Tikka the same lengths size? Tikka website stats show “Receiver Size:T3x”. Admittedly a blind question as I’ve never even held a Tikka. Thanks.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an add-on question. Are the T3x receivers for all calibers offered by Tikka the same lengths size? Tikka website stats show “Receiver Size:T3x”. Admittedly a blind question as I’ve never even held a Tikka. Thanks.
Yes the only difference is the bolt stop

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

It seems Tikka is the go-to rifle here. Why then does it seem everyone gets a T3x and then puts a new stock and barrel on it? Are the factory builds no good? Why not start with something that has a barrel and stock you like?
Because outside of the action, they aren’t that great.

Op- As I‘m sure you gathered by now, everyone has their own opinion as to what to do with them. The great thing is that you can do nothing and have a durable, great shooting rifle at a reasonable price. OR you can modify them to YOUR definition of “perfect” without the expense and time of getting a gunsmith involved. They are the bolt action version of the AR or Glock- meaning you can modify them as much or little as you want.

The thing that attracted me originally is that the action is square enough that you can buy a prefit barrel over the counter and screw it in yourself ( if you are moderately handy) with a few tools and a go- no go gauge instead of spending hundreds on getting a Remington action squared or buying a custom Remington clone. Since then I’ve appreciated that I can buy a $10 spring and have a trigger that is 95% of a Timney, the action/ safety is simple ( just fire or safe -and many like the bolt lock on safe). I also love the detachable, nearly flush fit mags. There are over a dozen over the counter, dyi bolt handle modifications so you can play with that if desired. In recent years they have also come out with a few more models that have a fairly light contour barrel that is threaded which is nice as opposed to having it threaded as I did. I once had a custom action ordered, then my wife had health issues so I canceled the order and bought a Tikka for the same price as just the custom action. I have never regretted the decision.

The bottom line is that imo you won’t get a better value anywhere. The guys that modify it (including me) do it because they want to, not because there is anything lacking in the over the counter rifle. We like to customize our stuff and the Tikka let’s us do that on a budget, a bit at a time.

As a last thought. Don’t let anyone tell you that the stocks are bad. They are not the same as most of the plastic coming on other rifles and are quite stable. Unless you have very specific needs/ wants, the factory stock will serve you well.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Because outside of the action, they aren’t that great.
I don’t know about that. Tikkas are known for great accuracy in a sub 1000 dollar rifle. Their tolerances are tight enough that you can use profits. The main issue I have is the stock. They are the one part that I’m not a fan of personally. If you have one, don’t shoot an after market stock. Because you’ll want one.