School me on tire warranties!

Hey guys. I currently have a a set of Cooper AT3 4s tires on my F-150. They have a 65k mileage rating but I'm down to the wear bars at about 42k. I have never had a tire that has fallen this short of the rating. They were purchased at fleet farm and I'm going to have them look at them to see what they will do. What should I expect to hear? I have heard of people getting $ based on a proration of what percentage of the tire rating/warranty is left. Will fleet farm try to avoid paying anything? I honestly don't know how this typically works as I have always gotten close to the mileage rating from the tires on my past vehicles. Thanks for the input!

Far as I know the warranty will be from the manufacturer, nothing to do with who installed them. It will be prorated, likely won't get much.

They are usually really picky. You have to show proof of rotation every 5-7,000 miles.

I will say I had a Discount tire do me right one time. They took care of everything and I basically got one free tire. I would recommend taking them to where you will buy your new tires and try to work out a deal.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
The dealer (fleet farm) will have to send them back to the manufacturer for inspection. They will likely require receipts for rotation at the required intervals. Due to covid, Michelin (Cooper parent company) isn't accepting any returns so they will sit in a warehouse until they are. You'll have to buy new tires and wait for a bit of a pro-rated refund from Cooper. I have 2 sets still out from last April that I haven't heard a word about. I'm a tire dealer....

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

There are many ifs, ands, ors, and buts when it comes to a tire warranty. Mileage ratings are generally not warranted in my experience. The manufacturer/seller will usually do eveything they can to get out of it. Then if they do cover it the old prorating comes into play. Unless you are a very good customer at Fleet Farm they will likely tell you to take it up with Cooper but you won't know unless you ask. I know Cooper tires have good reviews and all but every time I have bought tires in the last 40 years, I get a full set of Michelins and cry once. Tires are the second most important thing on a vehicle, brakes are first! Hit the hip and don't try to get tires on the cheap is my advice

Baddog

WKR
The dealer (fleet farm) will have to send them back to the manufacturer for inspection. They will likely require receipts for rotation at the required intervals. Due to covid, Michelin (Cooper parent company) isn't accepting any returns so they will sit in a warehouse until they are. You'll have to buy new tires and wait for a bit of a pro-rated refund from Cooper. I have 2 sets still out from last April that I haven't heard a word about. I'm a tire dealer....

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk
Cooper and Michelin are not the same company or related in any form....

Call the Cooper customer service line and tell them. They will give you a claim number to get started and send you to the dealer. They will pro rate the tires and want you to buy another set of coopers. But you can choose to buy another brand from the dealer if you’d like. It should be a very easy and painless purchase.

Drew10

FNG
Hey guys. I currently have a a set of Cooper AT3 4s tires on my F-150. They have a 65k mileage rating but I'm down to the wear bars at about 42k. I have never had a tire that has fallen this short of the rating. They were purchased at fleet farm and I'm going to have them look at them to see what they will do. What should I expect to hear? I have heard of people getting $ based on a proration of what percentage of the tire rating/warranty is left. Will fleet farm try to avoid paying anything? I honestly don't know how this typically works as I have always gotten close to the mileage rating from the tires on my past vehicles. Thanks for the input!
Them are good tires

robtattoo

WKR
I went through a warranty claim with Dick Cepick's a few years ago. Tie was 3 months old & went out of round.
Long story short..... be glad you're not running Cepicks. Deformation under normal use, isn't covered by them.

OP
180splitg3
Hmm - sounds like I may or may not get anything from Cooper. I guess we'll see. I have had the tires rotated every 5-7k miles at Fleet Farm so that should be well documented. I wouldn't recommend buying tires there so I'll probably try to find my receipts and figure out where I want to get new tires and take it there for a look. It's not the end of the world if I don't get anything - just sucks that they should have 20k miles left and don't...

wapitibob

WKR
I buy from a local supplier, Les Schwab. Their warranty is easy and straight forward. When the tires are worn out or you no longer want them, take them back and they'll adjust based on mileage. Fleet should adjust you out of them right on the spot.

I have had multiple sets of Michelin’s come up short. Americas tire called it out without prompting and gave me a decent prorated credit on the spot. No proof of rotation needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our little commuter car got a flat, wife took it in and they were 50,000 mile tires with 28,000 on them. They were to the wear bar.

The tire shop replaced them for a little over half price.

It really depends on your dealer. And if you want to stay there.
I've done it once at Americas/discount tire.
Granted I was a good customer and knew the assistant manager well.
All he did was make a calculation based on how short they were and gave me credit off of a new set. Wam Bam
If you're dealer doesn't want to or isn't big enough to have pull with the manufacturer id probably just give up and be a Karen all over the internet about it lol.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have only used warranties as a guestimate of how long the manufacture expects the tire to last. As tires are such an important element for safety, I never run my tires down to the minimum legal tread and as I replace them with tread left I don't get any warranty prorating. Discount/Americas Tire is a great place to get tires as they have always done the right thing without me having to ask (unfortunately I have not lived in a state with one in years).

Anyway, traction drops of at the end of tread life, and I think something like 80% of all tire failures happen during the last 10% of tread (but the latter was read in marketing literature years ago, so take it with a huge grain of salt).

Good luck, hopefully they treat you will.

big44a4

WKR
How many years have you had them?

I got a set of bfg AT that are going on 70k + but they are about 2 years old. Time plays a factor as well.

OP
180splitg3
How many years have you had them?

I got a set of bfg AT that are going on 70k + but they are about 2 years old. Time plays a factor as well.

I purchased them in November of 2018. Going to have them looked at today...

You have the right attitude. Go back to the store expecting nothing. Be nice to the counter person and ask in the most reasonable way if there is anything they can do to help. You might get a new set at a discount.
Tires are a crap shoot. Some just wear hard and fast on certain vehicles, especially 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.